PDA

View Full Version : Has money ruined sports?

donttread
09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
IMO, money in sports is well on it's way to ruining them and even some childhoods.

Newpublius
09-05-2017, 02:13 PM
IMO, money in sports is well on it's way to ruining them and even some childhoods.

I was a much more avid fan. What made me fall out of professional sports was Derek Jeter. I have no problem with Derek Jeter, per se, but he obviously led a playboy lifestyle. At the time he dumped Mariah Carey AND Miss Universe. For me that was an epiphany into the kind of lifestyle I was subsidizing by being a paying fan.

I'll buy a bond for my kid, works better for me.

Standing Wolf
09-05-2017, 04:09 PM
There are problem children and miscreants in every profession...but when an insurance agent cheats on his wife, or a hardware store manager goes to jail for DUI, it isn't news.

I have known any number of professional baseball players, some very famous, many of them multi-millionaires, who were hardworking, responsible family men and some of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

I will say this - in almost every case there was a strong, supportive, intelligent woman standing beside the guy, keeping him on the straight and narrow. It's mostly the guys who don't want that kind of woman, who'd rather play the field like Jeter and troll for bimbos who'll do anything just to be seen on his arm for a night, who go off the rails.

AZ Jim
09-05-2017, 04:12 PM
There are problem children and miscreants in every profession...but when an insurance agent cheats on his wife, or a hardware store manager goes to jail for DUI, it isn't news.

I have known any number of professional baseball players, some very famous, many of them multi-millionaires, who were hardworking, responsible family men and some of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

I will say this - in almost every case there was a strong, supportive, intelligent woman standing beside the guy, keeping him on the straight and narrow. It's mostly the guys who don't want that kind of woman, who'd rather play the field like Jeter and troll for bimbos who'll do anything just to be seen on his arm for a night, who go off the rails.I once read an opinion piece that put forward a theory. "We pay millions to people who play a game they would gladly play free if the money wasn't involved".

Newpublius
09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

I will say this - in almost every case there was a strong, supportive, intelligent woman standing beside the guy, keeping him on the straight and narrow. It's mostly the guys who don't want that kind of woman, who'd rather play the field like Jeter and troll for bimbos who'll do anything just to be seen on his arm for a night, who go off the rails.

Any of them have to be hard working. It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but you still are left with a sense of envy. You know, gee whiz, I'd like to work out all day and look awesome for the hottest women.

donttread
09-06-2017, 02:01 PM

It does deeper than that. Had someone handed me a few million when I was 22 I'd probably be dead. But we are in the age of designed athelets , poor sportsamanship and unadulterated greed.
To me the purset form of sports is kids playing pick up games in the sandlot for the pure love of the game.

DGUtley
09-06-2017, 02:37 PM
The Browns leaving really hit me negatively. I lost the passion I had for professional sports. I have tried to rekindle it and I still watch but there's no insane passion for it. The Buckeyes -- well, that's another story.

Kacper
09-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Nike ruined sports