PDA

View Full Version : Trump bypasses Congressal Republicans

pjohns
09-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Just about everyone agrees that President Trump ignored Republicans in Congress, in order to strike a deal with the Democrats, as regarding an increase in the debt ceiling (and, of course, Hurricane Harvey relief).

The overriding question, of course, is: Why?

My guess is that it was a finger in the eye, intended to convey the message: "If you (Republicans) won't give me what I want, then I will go to the other party."

And since President Trump is really not, ideologically, a typical Republican, this is probably much easier.

Thoughts?

Peter1469
09-07-2017, 07:38 PM
The GOP can't lead. So Trump teamed with the Dems.

Expect more of it.

resister
09-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Expect more of it.Everyone has been telling us he is really a liberal, so why are liberals so upset?

JVV
09-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Everyone has been telling us he is really a liberal, so why are liberals so upset?

Liberals are upset?

I missed that.

resister
09-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Liberals are upset?

I missed that.

Are you kidding me? They have been foaming at the mouth over him since day one! lol

JVV
09-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Just about everyone agrees that President Trump ignored Republicans in Congress, in order to strike a deal with the Democrats, as regarding an increase in the debt ceiling (and, of course, Hurricane Harvey relief).

My guess is that it was a finger in the eye, intended to convey the message: "If you (Republicans) won't give me what I want, then I will go to the other party."

And since President Trump is really not, ideologically, a typical Republican, this is probably much easier.

Thoughts?

This piece describes my thoughts:

The Daily 202: Trump’s triangulation shows what might have been (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/09/07/daily-202-trump-s-triangulation-shows-what-might-have-been/59b06c9630fb04264c2a1d24/)

If Trump had started out the way he has proceeded in the past few days, his approval rating would be much higher now.

If he can continue the way he has proceeded in the past few days, then _most_ people will be able to get past things like his Charlottesville response and find a way to work with him.

But can he keep it up? That's the $64,000 question. Here's hoping.

JVV
09-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Are you kidding me? They have been foaming at the mouth over him since day one! lol

But the subject is Trump striking a deal with liberals this week. I haven't seen liberals upset about that.

resister
09-07-2017, 07:54 PM
But the subject is Trump striking a deal with liberals this week. I haven't seen liberals upset about that.
I'm not either, a big ass hurricane is bearing down on my state!

Common
09-07-2017, 08:03 PM

Thoughts?
Why because a good amount of them have been shafting him and hes giving them a taste in return. The republican majority has been a do nothing pile of nothing.

Green Arrow
09-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Maybe he's finally ready to put country over party - and over himself.

resister
09-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Maybe he's finally ready to put country over party - and over himself.
It would be hard to notice, the media would ignore it as would those ate up with Trump hate!

Bob the Slob
09-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Republicans were going to play politics with the debt ceiling and cut more programs for 99% of Americans. Trump wanted the debt ceiling raised and Harvey funded. Republicans would have played around for along on this, so Trump gave it to the democrats. Now, no one can trust Trump.

And all that ass kissing Ryan and McConnell have done to Trump, giving up their own dignity and self -pride in the process.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/24/16196312/trump-gop-leaders-mess-debt-ceiling

Perianne
09-08-2017, 03:06 AM
The Republican Congress has shown itself incapable of passing important legislation. Team up with the Democrats to get something done, as the Republicans can't.

Mini Me
09-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Expect more of it.

"Its; lead, follow, or get the Hell out of the way"

Those Congressional Rethugs are only there to help the poor rich class and corporate cronies.

JVV
09-08-2017, 09:34 AM

Thoughts?

Basically, yes.

Trumps wants a win.

He is his own worst enemy on that front, but the conflicted GOP is way up there as an obstacle. Even what the GOP might call wins, if they could get enough votes, would be pyrrhic victories -- for instance their healthcare proposals which would have hammered Trump constituencies and he had to call those bills "wonderful" while he clearly knew they were "mean", but he had to pretend they were good because he was going to sign whatever Congress could pass.

Trump does have his moments. It was a mixed week, piling DACA repeal onto the devastation from Harvey, but maybe some part of him thawed at the pleas from the young Houstonians whose lives he had made that much more horrific. And all these factors -- especially his desires to put something in the win column legislatively and to not make people hate him -- came together and made him realize that Democrats could help him more than the Freedom Caucus could or would.

pjohns
09-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Why because a good amount of [Republican legislators] have been shafting him...

What is your definition, exactly, of "shafting"?

Is it merely not going along with him on every item?

pjohns
09-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Republicans were going to play politics with the debt ceiling and cut more programs for 99% of Americans.
(1) A "debt ceiling"--one that needs to be raised annually--is silly, anyway. It is a bit like my having a credit card with, say, a $20,000 limit; and every time I go over $19,900, the issuer simply raises the "limit" by another $5,000. What, then, is the point of the "limit"?

(2) Can you enumerate, please, the "99%" of Americans for whom congressional Republicans were poised to (supposedly) "cut" programs?

I really didn't think so...

pjohns
09-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Those Congressional Rethugs are only there to help the poor rich class and corporate cronies.
I asked for analysis--not mere name-calling.

Apparently you are incapable of the former...

gamewell45
09-08-2017, 03:07 PM
The Republican Congress has shown itself incapable of passing important legislation. Team up with the Democrats to get something done, as the Republicans can't.

I'd have to say that I agree with you on this; this is an incredible slap in the face to not only the republican leadership but to the party in general. It obviously caught them off-guard and it's going to take a lot to repair the damaged relationship between Trump and both McConnell and Ryan.

AZ Jim
09-08-2017, 03:11 PM
It would be hard to notice, the media would ignore it as would those ate up with Trump hate!Trump hate anything like Hillary hate? Rhetorical...

KathyS
09-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Why because a good amount of them have been shafting him and hes giving them a taste in return. The republican majority has been a do nothing pile of nothing.
Exactly. I think he's tired of their crap and just wants to get things done. A majority of republicans are just as obstructive as most democrats because they hate Trump for showing the world how useless they truly are.
I'm with Trump on this one. Do what it takes to get relief for hurricane victims; there was never any question the debt ceiling was going to be raised, right? Trump just took the wind out of their sails.

Peter1469
09-08-2017, 05:56 PM

So are most of the dems.

pjohns
09-09-2017, 05:58 PM
I think [President Trump is] tired of [congressional Republicans'] crap and just wants to get things done.

Are you saying that Donald Trump is not really a Republican--but merely an independent in Republican clothing?

If that is the case, why did he not just run as an independent in 2016?

JVV
09-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Are you saying that Donald Trump is not really a Republican--but merely an independent in Republican clothing?

Why didn't Bernie run as an independent?

Third party candidacies aren't viable. Trump had to choose one side or the other, and Democrats wouldn't have countenanced him.

Captdon
09-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Basically, yes.

Trumps wants a win.

He is his own worst enemy on that front, but the conflicted GOP is way up there as an obstacle. Even what the GOP might call wins, if they could get enough votes, would be pyrrhic victories -- for instance their healthcare proposals which would have hammered Trump constituencies and he had to call those bills "wonderful" while he clearly knew they were "mean", but he had to pretend they were good because he was going to sign whatever Congress could pass.

Trump does have his moments. It was a mixed week, piling DACA repeal onto the devastation from Harvey, but maybe some part of him thawed at the pleas from the young Houstonians whose lives he had made that much more horrific. And all these factors -- especially his desires to put something in the win column legislatively and to not make people hate him -- came together and made him realize that Democrats could help him more than the Freedom Caucus could or would.

How did he make the lives of young people horrific? DACA isn't something to repeal. It isn't a law now. Congress can pass it as a law or leave it to Trump to enforce the law. It's all on the head of Congress.

The Freedom Caucus isn't the problem. The regular Republicans can't govern. They certainly don't want Trump to hurt their chances of re-election by making them answerable to the people.

Green Arrow
09-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Because blind partisans are reaching their climax and will soon cease to control our politics. Until then, us unaffiliateds have to work within the system.