PDA

View Full Version : Ontario to create cannabis control board

Adelaide
09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
The Ontario government will announce Friday that it will create a cannabis control board and open up to 60 storefronts to manage the sale and distribution of marijuana in the province, CBC News has learned.

The plans include restricting marijuana sales to those 19 and older, a year above the minimum age recommended by the federal government's cannabis task force report in December.

The 30 to 60 stores selling marijuana to the public will not be housed inside existing LCBO stores as Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne had previously suggested.

Illegal pot shops in Ontario would be shut down over the next 12 months.

Ontario to create cannabis control board, open up to 60 storefronts, sources say - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ontario-to-create-cannabis-control-board-1.4280073)

For anyone who doesn't live in Ontario or hasn't been there, liquor is only allowed to be sold at LCBO locations - Liquor Control Board of Ontario. These locations are kind of spectacular for the range they offer, from specialty beers, every liquor imaginable and wine. The only exceptions are the "Beer Store" which can sell standards beer and small wine shops that usually have crappy wine as compared to LCBOs. Similar to coffee shops, an LCBO can be found pretty much anywhere but their store hours are usually like 8am to 10pm for large stores and only open til 6pm at smaller locations.

So, a cannabis control board would function through the LCBOs. Probably get taxed to high heaven. Pot is expected to be legalized by 2018 according to the federal government (yes, the centralized government will decide).

leekohler2
09-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Good for them. It's about time.

Adelaide
09-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Good for them. It's about time.

Well, most residents of Ontario probably won't be pleased with a cannabis control board. The LCBO has faced issues lately, like a petition to allow corner stores to sell beer and various strikes by their workers.

leekohler2
09-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Well, most residents of Ontario probably won't be pleased with a cannabis control board. The LCBO has faced issues lately, like a petition to allow corner stores to sell beer and various strikes by their workers.

Aye least it will be legal. It's taken way too long.

Grokmaster
09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Get ready for Twinkie and potato chip rationing...

Adelaide
09-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Get ready for Twinkie and potato chip rationing...
I don't think Canada has Twinkies. I tried it for the first time this summer - ew. I could be wrong, but I had never seen Twinkies before the 7/11 here in the States, hah.

Grokmaster
09-08-2017, 01:50 PM
I don't think Canada has Twinkies. I tried it for the first time this summer - ew. I could be wrong, but I had never seen Twinkies before the 7/11 here in the States, hah. Yes you are wrong. They have been here since the 1960's. A fresh Twinkie is a delight...ask Woody Harrelson... Figures that the bland Canucks wouldn't have them... 19913