PDA

View Full Version : Ben Shapiro to speak at Berkley

resister
09-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Conservative speaker Ben Shapiro is scheduled to speak at Berkley later this month and they are comparing preperations for his arrival to hurricane prep. Of course counseling for the flakey types is being offered.http://www.dailycal.org/2017/07/11/conservative-writer-ben-shapiro-invited-speak-uc-berkeley-september/Ben Shapiro plans to speak at the University of California at Berkeley in September, challenging the school to accommodate a conservative speaker after similar events were canceled when protests spun out of control.
Shapiro, a conservative columnist, was invited by the Young America’s Foundation and the Berkeley College Republicans to “bring ideological diversity” to a campus that “rarely, if ever, is exposed to conservative ideas,” the foundation announced Tuesday afternoon.
Shapiro often gives speeches on college campuses. But this is Berkeley, which has become the epicenter of clashes between the far left and the far right in recent months, with a series of highly charged controversies over politics, freedom of speech and academic freedom.
The state flagship campus, the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement of the 1960s and for many a symbol of campus liberalism, has seen rallies in and around campus turn violent this year. As left-wing protesters, black-masked anarchists, Trump supporters and self-proclaimed militia groups clashed, windows were smashed,

Ransom
09-13-2017, 08:02 AM
DO you realize what this will do to the victims here!! I shiver with fear.......for people being forced to be embarrassed and ashamed of their race and/or ethnicity.

I cannot imagine the tummy linings for our soon nauseated forum members where mere words are known to cause illness.

Our pansies. Out tulips. Our snowflakes. They'll have to tear a statue down. The crying. The race to crown our tpf forum Biggest Victim for the trauma this Shapiro Dude will entice by mere words.

Forget the hurricane. There's a tsunami about to hit California.

One hopes.....antifa will be arrested should they try to block the free speech rights of others. And it'll be a good time Forum....to differentiate yourselves from these extremist groups many observers defend night and day in here, you know Who you are.

A chance to somewhat redeem yourselves as sane members of our forum.

resister
09-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Lets see if the little thugs in black burn the place totally down, this time!

Ransom
09-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Lets see if the little thugs in black burn the place totally down, this time!

The campus or this website?
:biglaugh:

resister
09-13-2017, 08:14 AM
How ridiculous is it that some flake would need counseling because OMG I might be exposed to a differing political view. OMG my safe space is crumbling around me like a key west mobile home!

Crepitus
09-13-2017, 08:16 AM
How ridiculous is it that some flake would need counseling because OMG I might be exposed to a differing political view. OMG my safe space is crumbling around me like a key west mobile home!

The ridiculous part is that you guys continue to believe that nonsense.

resister
09-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Read the link and pull your head out of the sand, it is a fact that counseling is being offered.:rollseyes:

del
09-13-2017, 08:25 AM
Read the link and pull your head out of the sand, it is a fact that counseling is being offered.:rollseyes:

so is birth control

resister
09-13-2017, 08:29 AM
so is birth control
Oh look, the troll got out of his cage...:rollseyes:

resister
09-13-2017, 08:34 AM
It’s a moving scene. People preparing for the worst, not knowing what damage may occur. Some, perhaps, being evacuated from the area.

Hurricane Harvey? Irma? No. It’s a visit by a right-wing talk show host.
Ben Shapiro, editor-in-chief of conservative website The Daily Wire and host of “The Ben Shapiro Show” podcast, will be speaking this Thursday on the Berkeley campus.
Berkeley, of course, is the home of the Free Speech Movement. In 1964, students organized to demand they be allowed open political advocacy, and outside political speakers.
They’ve had plenty of time to think about it since, and apparently many have changed their minds.
Which is why right wing advocates have had a tough time recently at Berkeley. Violent protests prevented conservatives Ann Coulter and Milo Yiannopoulos from speaking.

It’s a disgrace that conservatives need special security on any campus in America

resister
09-13-2017, 08:43 AM
https://youtu.be/0F-70rBorFs

resister
09-13-2017, 08:48 AM
https://youtu.be/pJvxPy6xpOg

donttread
09-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Conservative speaker Ben Shapiro is scheduled to speak at Berkley later this month and they are comparing preperations for his arrival to hurricane prep. Of course counseling for the flakey types is being offered.http://www.dailycal.org/2017/07/11/conservative-writer-ben-shapiro-invited-speak-uc-berkeley-september/Ben Shapiro plans to speak at the University of California at Berkeley in September, challenging the school to accommodate a conservative speaker after similar events were canceled when protests spun out of control.
Shapiro, a conservative columnist, was invited by the Young America’s Foundation and the Berkeley College Republicans to “bring ideological diversity” to a campus that “rarely, if ever, is exposed to conservative ideas,” the foundation announced Tuesday afternoon.
Shapiro often gives speeches on college campuses. But this is Berkeley, which has become the epicenter of clashes between the far left and the far right in recent months, with a series of highly charged controversies over politics, freedom of speech and academic freedom.
The state flagship campus, the birthplace of the Free Speech Movement of the 1960s and for many a symbol of campus liberalism, has seen rallies in and around campus turn violent this year. As left-wing protesters, black-masked anarchists, Trump supporters and self-proclaimed militia groups clashed, windows were smashed,

From what I have seen of him he is a well spoken, usually soft spoken man. If people disagree with his views, the simple soultion is not to go to his event. Poof.
No snowflakes were harmed in the making of this common sense , free speech tolerant , message.

Tahuyaman
09-13-2017, 09:54 AM
People tend to believe the truth. That's why it's called the truth.

Crepitus
09-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Your link is unrelated to your post.

midcan5
09-13-2017, 10:14 AM
Kinda funny how the right wing get all excited when a so called conservative gets to speak in a place where reason and intelligence still works. Maybe he'll say something real controversial and the snowflake conservatives will get all happy and shat. The right is so emasculated they cheer on leaders who may be more complicated than they think. Too funny.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/gist/2016/11/ben_shapiro_on_steve_bannon_the_alt_right_and_why_ the_left_needs_to_turn.html

"So you think that Bannon is using the alt-right to get his agenda passed? But do you think that the alt-right thinks it’s using Bannon to get its agenda through?

Yes, and they’ll say it openly—they’ll say, “Bannon isn’t one of us. Breitbart isn’t us. Trump isn’t one of us. But they’re the most useful tool we’ve ever found.”"

And while some feel the confederate flag is nice, it like Russia today sought to destroy the united states of America.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/87136-Robert-E-Lee-is-Not-Our-Heritage

"That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States. By the secession of six of the slave-holding States, and the certainty that others will speedily do likewise, Texas has no alternative but to remain in an isolated connection with the North, or unite her destinies with the South."
'The Texas Ordinance of Secession' (February 2, 1861) http://www.lsjunction.com/docs/secesson.htm

Crepitus
09-13-2017, 10:21 AM
This is ridiculous. When you trumpkins said Emory was offering emergency counseling for students offended by trump graffiti it was false. When you claimed Yale cancelled midterms because students were upset over tRump's win it was fake. All this nonsense about "safe spaces" was fake news.

Are you ever gonna learn?

Captain Obvious
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
This is ridiculous. When you trumpkins said Emory was offering emergency counseling for students offended by trump graffiti it was false. When you claimed Yale cancelled midterms because students were upset over tRump's win it was fake. All this nonsense about "safe spaces" was fake news.

Says the guy convinced that Russians hijacked the election but cannot explain how.

:biglaugh:

Adelaide
09-13-2017, 10:43 AM
Would be an interesting event.

texan
09-13-2017, 12:41 PM
LOL believe it like it isn't true. Do you really want me to post the links?

https://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/11/09/colleges-try-to-comfort-students-upset-by-trump-victory/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/16/suck-it-up-lawmaker-wants-to-cut-funding-for-schools-coddling-students-over-trump.html

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/generation-snowflake-how-we-train-our-kids-to-be-censorious-cry-babies/

No it didnt really happen.

resister
09-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Your link is unrelated to your post.
I linked a link and pasted additional info from another source, the facts are not in conflict, if you think otherwise, point it out!

resister
09-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Are you ever gonna learn?lol, facts matter.

Adelaide
09-13-2017, 01:17 PM

To be fair, universities do tend to favor the safe space theory, but you're right that it is mischaracterized or blown out of proportion.

Most of the speakers I get invites to are law enforcement-related because of my field of study. Pretty much everything you can imagine that falls under law and law enforcement. But my honor societies have a lot of very popular speakers (including Biden) who are almost all liberals. These are societies/fraternities/sororities that represent thousands of students and alumni across the country. I don't think it necessarily a conscious agenda, but I have noticed it.

resister
09-13-2017, 01:19 PM
To be fair, universities do tend to favor the safe space theory, but you're right that it is mischaracterized or blown out of proportion.

Most of the speakers I get invites to are law enforcement-related because of my field of study. Pretty much everything you can imagine that falls under law and law enforcement. But my honor societies have a lot of very popular speakers (including Biden) who are almost all liberals. These are societies/fraternities/sororities that represent thousands of students and alumni across the country. I don't think it necessarily a conscious agenda, but I have noticed it.
If Mr. Shapiro appeared, would you attend?

Crepitus
09-13-2017, 06:44 PM
lol, facts matter.

Indeed they do.

resister
09-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Indeed they do.
We agree, care to point out where mine are in error?

donttread
09-14-2017, 04:02 AM

She might not attend, but I'm willing to bet she wouldn't run cowering to a "free speechless zone" due to his mere presence on campus.

resister
09-14-2017, 08:45 AM
She might not attend, but I'm willing to bet she wouldn't run cowering to a "free speechless zone" due to his mere presence on campus.
I think she would, I hope my question was not taken as an insult Adelaide

Adelaide
09-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Sure - why not? It seems pretty essential to listen to views that you might not agree with.

resister
09-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Sure - why not? It seems pretty essential to listen to views that you might not agree with.
As an intelligent and rational person, you would even find some common ground, I bet!

resister
09-14-2017, 10:08 PM
He is getting ready to speak, soon. 2 Arrests about oversized signs (read, clubs) They will arrest anyone wearing a mask that does not take it off, after police ask, nicely! Just reported on FOX news!

resister
09-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Well, it appears that Berkley has wheathered hurricane Shapiro, better than Hurricane Yinnopolos! lolhttp://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/berkeley-ben-shapiro-speech/index.html

Tahuyaman
09-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Thank goodness that the university is providing mental health therapy for those disturbed by Shapiro's comments. They need to protect these children from hearing things which might harm their fragile psyche.

resister
09-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Thank goodness that the university is providing mental health therapy for those disturbed by Shapiro's comments. They need to protect these children from hearing things which might harm their fragile psyche.
Maybe they could send the therapist into hurricane zones where some folks had a real reason to feel traumatized.

Adelaide
09-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Well, it appears that Berkley has wheathered hurricane Shapiro, better than Hurricane Yinnopolos! lolhttp://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/berkeley-ben-shapiro-speech/index.html
I would protest against Yiannopoulos, but not on political grounds.

Tahuyaman
09-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Maybe they could send the therapist into hurricane zones where some folks had a real reason to feel traumatized.

Hearing a view which differs from yours is a very traumatic experience. Especially if you have taken steps to surround yourself with safe zones.

The purpose of a modern university is to ensure everyone is thinking along the same political lines. Free thinking is a frightening thing today.

resister
09-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Not sure if I would call what happened when Yiannopoulos appeared as "protesting" I think riot is a much more descriptive and accurate word to use.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Please share you thoughts, Adelaide

Perianne
09-15-2017, 09:36 AM
I would be ashamed to act like those young people.

resister
09-15-2017, 09:40 AM
I would be ashamed to act like those young people.
Think of how weak it must make us look in the eyes of the world!

Tahuyaman
09-15-2017, 09:47 AM
What's going to happen when these children are forced to leave their protected safe space and enter the real world?

resister
09-15-2017, 09:49 AM
what's going to happen when these children are forced to leave their protected safe space and enter the real world?
ptsd?

Tahuyaman
09-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Universities are supposed to be places when young people are exposed to a variety of ideas and views. It's no wonder American students are lagging behind.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 11:15 AM
What's going to happen when these children are forced to leave their protected safe space and enter the real world?
I have seen that in nursing. These poor children enter the real world and after a short time they cry. Literally cry. They didn't know that there is an unprotected world outside of school. Most shape up and realize they are adults now and this is a tough world. Some don't.

A year or so ago, a new nurse and I had a discussion about politics. She admitted that she had always voted Democratic. That is, until she started seeing how the tax man attacks her pay check. She had started changing her view about life and wanted to talk about how she felt. She said she couldn't talk to her husband or family about it, as they were staunch Democrats.

Tahuyaman
09-15-2017, 11:45 AM
When one is raised in an environment where differing views are shut-out, how is one supposed to perform in an environment which thrives on innovation and diversity of ideas?

Are these kids going to expect their employer to provide them with mental health therapy when people disagree with them in the workplace?

Ransom
09-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Unemployment lines get longer

Adelaide
09-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Please share you thoughts, @Adelaide (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=473)

I oppose the comments made by Yiannopoulos about sex with minors. It isn't political, but I guess moral. He might be an interesting speaker if I didn't think he were a depraved human being for his comments.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I oppose the comments made by Yiannopoulos about sex with minors. It isn't political, but I guess moral. He might be an interesting speaker if I didn't think he were a depraved human being for his comments.
Oh yes, indeed. I think it cost him what would otherwise be widespread support among conservatives.

Adelaide
09-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Oh yes, indeed. I think it cost him what would otherwise be widespread support among conservative.
I am not sure that he ever would have been hugely popular, but he dug himself a pretty deep hole.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 04:17 PM
I am not sure that he ever would have been hugely popular, but he dug himself a pretty deep hole.
I have a very conservative friend who thought he was the bomb and he would send me videos of Milo. Since the child thing, he quit sending stuff to me.

resister
09-15-2017, 04:18 PM
I have a very conservative friend who thought he was the bomb and he would send me videos of Milo. Since the child thing, he quit sending stuff to me.
I watched some Shapiro videos, he is one sharp tack.

resister
09-16-2017, 09:32 PM
Protesters chant, "speech is violence, we will not be silent" WTF?