PDA

View Full Version : This is what the first amendment is about.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 09:01 AM
ESPN Host Committed ‘Fireable Offense’ With Trump ‘White Supremacist’ Tweet: White House Aide (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-huckabee-sanders-espn-jemel-hill_us_59b97c4ce4b086432b03c41b)

“I think that’s one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make, and certainly something that I think is a fireable offense by ESPN,” Sanders said during Wednesday’s press briefing.

A person in a position of government authority pressuring a private company to fire someone.

How long till they want to arrest them for speaking badly of tRump?

resister
09-14-2017, 09:29 AM
ESPN Host Committed ‘Fireable Offense’ With Trump ‘White Supremacist’ Tweet: White House Aide (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-huckabee-sanders-espn-jemel-hill_us_59b97c4ce4b086432b03c41b)

A person in a position of government authority pressuring a private company to fire someone.

Like you guys like to say, free speech is not without consequences, besides Sanders was simply expressing her opinion, in accordance with the 1st!

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 09:35 AM
ESPN Host Committed ‘Fireable Offense’ With Trump ‘White Supremacist’ Tweet: White House Aide (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-huckabee-sanders-espn-jemel-hill_us_59b97c4ce4b086432b03c41b) A person in a position of government authority pressuring a private company to fire someone.

As a constitutionalist, I am uncomfortable that it may act to chill the exercise of free speech, which I personally think is a violation of the Constitution's First Amendment. This person was acting under the color of government. It troubles me.

Has anybody in the Trump Administration suggested that?

Peter1469
09-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Or sick the IRS on them like under O.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Like you guys like to say, free speech is not without consequences, besides Sanders was simply expressing her opinion, in accordance with the 1st!

She may express her opinion all she wants, but not from behind that podium.

resister
09-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Why not? Politicians on both sides have been doing it since there have been politicians!

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 09:46 AM

I agree with you. I think that she is acting under color of authority when she does that. When Obama criticized the Mohammad video rather than just saying 'Look, I don't like it but that's the way it is in a country that treasures free speech.', it operated to chill free speech. Political authorities have to be careful. I haven't researched it but it is the most offensive of speech that is the most deserving of protection.

Peter1469
The White House can't pressure ESPN. They are in full TDS mode. If anything the White House will push them further over the edge.

Crepitus
As a constitutionalist, I am uncomfortable that it may act to chill the exercise of free speech, which I personally think is a violation of the Constitution's First Amendment. This person was acting under the color of government. It troubles me.

Has anybody in the Trump Administration suggested that?

Well let's see.... he has advocated violence at his rallies, offered to pay the legal bills of people who beat up protesters on his behalf, hinted that the "2nd amendment people" should eliminate his rivals, and other things I'm probably forgetting. Now his proxy is calling for someone to be fired. How long do you think it will be before they are calling for arrests?

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 09:52 AM

When she does it from behind the podium in the press secretary persona it carries the weight of an official white house position, not a person opinion. That makes it a 1st amendment violation.

Chris
09-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I see an indirect violation of free speech.

"Congress shall make no law ....abridging the freedom of speech...."

Congress should not be able to legislate a law that creates a bureaucratic position that abridges free speech.

As Madison wronte in Federalist 51, "If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself."

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Well let's see.... he has advocated violence at his rallies, offered to pay the legal bills of people who beat up protesters on his behalf, hinted that the "2nd amendment people" should eliminate his rivals, and other things I'm probably forgetting. Now his proxy is calling for someone to be fired. How long do you think it will be before they are calling for arrests?

So, the answer to my question is: No, but TDS extrapolates to incarceration? Though I am uncomfortable with what I perceive to be the chilling of free speech, I didn't read that as 'calling' for her to be fired. Why do you leftists always jump to the next illogical conclusion? I think we can all agree that if someone had said that about Chairman Maobama that there would be plenty of 'calling' for firing and that ESPN would've terminated whoever said that.

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 10:14 AM
When she does it from behind the podium in the press secretary persona it carries the weight of an official white house position, not a person opinion. That makes it a 1st amendment violation.

I do think it has the potential to chill free speech, yes. The government can't do that. Will you join me in calling for further investigation into the intent, scheme, plan, result of how withholding or "slow walking" conservative tax exempt applications had the potential to chill conservative free speech in the run-up to the 2012 election? I love the sudden adherence to the principles of non-chilling free speech.

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 10:15 AM
I do think it has the potential to chill free speech, yes. The government can't do that. Will you join me in calling for further investigation into the intent, scheme, plan, result of how withholding or "slow walking" conservative tax exempt applications had the potential to chill conservative free speech in the run-up to the 2012 election? I love the sudden adherence to the principles of non-chilling free speech.

...or how about the government chilling free speech by arresting the producer of the Mohammad video in the middle of the night with M-16's drawn with all the MSM in tow? How Chairman Maobama's administration chilled free speech? We haven't had any more of those nasty Mohammad videos, now have we?

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 10:18 AM
...or how about the government chilling free speech by arresting the producer of the Mohammad video in the middle of the night with M-16's drawn with all the MSM in tow? How Chairman Maobama's administration chilled free speech? We haven't had any more of those nasty Mohammad videos, now have we?

...or how about when all the D politicians in the legislative branch attempted to chill the speech of the Tea Party?

ripmeister
09-14-2017, 10:30 AM
But then you have this as well.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/did-sarah-huckabee-sanders-break-law-when-she-attacked-black-espn-reporter

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 10:58 AM
But then you have this as well. http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/did-sarah-huckabee-sanders-break-law-when-she-attacked-black-espn-reporter

From the article: "In short, Sanders doesn't appear to have broken any laws with her statement, but it was quite bizarre for her to call for the dismissal of a Trump critic."

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 11:03 AM

I have said all along "investigate them all. If they are guilty throw the book at them." I make no claims of being "nonpartisan" but criminals need to go regardless of party.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 11:07 AM
So, the answer to my question is: No, but TDS extrapolates to incarceration? Though I am uncomfortable with what I perceive to be the chilling of free speech, I didn't read that as 'calling' for her to be fired. Why do you leftists always jump to the next illogical conclusion? I think we can all agree that if someone had said that about Chairman Maobama that there would be plenty of 'calling' for firing and that ESPN would've terminated whoever said that.

TDS is the descriptor for people who forgive trump no matter what outrageous thing he does or says.

Yes, I extrapolated based on the pattern of previous behavior. He has already called for the arrest of political rivals along with the other things I listed.

MisterVeritis
09-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Or sick the IRS on them like under O.
We have Obama's example of using government agencies to punish political enemies. Since we are no longer bound by the Constitution I say let's go. President Trump should follow Barack Hussein O's example and use every federal agency to harm his political opponents.

MisterVeritis
09-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Given that the nation is no longer bound by the Constitution what is the problem?

Why shouldn't President Trump do what President Obama did and punish his political enemies using federal agencies?

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 11:18 AM
TDS is the descriptor for people who forgive trump no matter what outrageous thing he does or says. Yes, I extrapolated based on the pattern of previous behavior. He has already called for the arrest of political rivals along with the other things I listed.

No, try again:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trump%20Derangement%20Syndrome

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-raimondo-trump-derangement-syndrome-20161226-story.html

http://www.wnd.com/2017/06/understanding-trump-derangement-syndrome/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-persistence-of-trump-derangement-syndrome

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Given that the nation is no longer bound by the Constitution what is the problem? Why shouldn't President Trump do What President Obama did and punish his political enemies using federal agencies?

We are trying to restore this country to a constitutional basis. The left is in histrionics about it, but we're still trudging along.

MisterVeritis
09-14-2017, 11:21 AM
We are trying to restore this country to a constitutional basis. The left is in histrionics about it, but we're still trudging along.
I know of nobody who is trying to restore Constitutional government. So let's have the full blown tyranny the left has been pushing.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 11:24 AM
No, try again:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trump%20Derangement%20Syndrome

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-raimondo-trump-derangement-syndrome-20161226-story.html

http://www.wnd.com/2017/06/understanding-trump-derangement-syndrome/

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-persistence-of-trump-derangement-syndrome

I'm sorry, but they are wrong.

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm sorry, but they are wrong.

I'm sorry, you are wrong.

Perianne
09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Trump Derangement Syndrome is the syndrome attached to those who have difficulty with Donald Trump being president.

Captdon
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
Sarah Hucabee Sanders merely said it was a fireable offense. That's a long way from calling for it. You liberals think freedom of speech is a one way street. Sanders has no government authority to do anything. You know that, right?

stjames1_53
09-14-2017, 12:17 PM

he has advocated violence at his rallies,
whatalineofcrapola
just who were those people outside burning cars, beating Trump supporters. fighting with the cops?

Captdon
09-14-2017, 12:19 PM
She sure can. If someone on a sports show can do it what's the problem? Again, she has no official powers.

Captdon
09-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Arrests for what? By who? Paronoia seems rampant on the left.

Captdon
09-14-2017, 12:24 PM
How does it violate the First amendment. What action has been taken or even threatened.

DGUtley
09-14-2017, 12:41 PM
I know of nobody who is trying to restore Constitutional government. So let's have the full blown tyranny the left has been pushing.

That's b/c you're not my neighbor; or, are you?

MisterVeritis
09-14-2017, 01:31 PM

That's b/c you're not my neighbor; or, are you?
Who, in your opinion, is trying to restore Constitutional government? I know of just one organization that stands a chance, the conventionofstates.com. No one here is even slightly interested.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry, you are wrong.

Except that I'm not.

Crepitus
09-14-2017, 02:01 PM
he has advocated violence at his rallies,
whatalineofcrapola
just who were those people outside burning cars, beating Trump supporters. fighting with the cops?

Yes, we know how good trumpkins are at denial.

Tahuyaman
09-14-2017, 03:39 PM
The White House can't pressure ESPN. They are in full TDS mode. If anything the White House will push them further over the edge.

true...

Tahuyaman
09-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Denial of what?

stjames1_53
09-14-2017, 03:52 PM

so, rather than admit it was YOUR side destroying property, you call me names....guess that only proves I'm right, as always