PDA

View Full Version : Oil rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico

exotix
11-16-2012, 11:56 AM
*Breaking*

Oil rig explodes in Gulf of Mexico; 2 people missing, 4 rushed to hospital

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/16/15219089-oil-rig-explodes-in-gulf-of-mexico-2-people-missing-4-rushed-to-hospital?lite

Two people were missing and four people were airlifted to a hospital Friday after an oil rig exploded in the Gulf of Mexico some 17 miles southeast of Grand Isle, La., the U.S. Coast Guard told NBC News.

Rescue crews were searching the waters for the two. Officials did not immediately release the names of missing or the injured.

Jefferson Parish Councilman Chris Roberts told WWL-TV that the rig is a shallow water platform near West Cote Blanche Bay.

It was not known if the fire had caused a spill.
The Coast Guard activated a command center to investigate.

The platform is a production platform, unlike the Macondo exploratory well in mile-deep water that blew out in 2010.
That disaster led to an explosion that killed 11 workers and caused the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

Grand Isle, La ~ http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=30.031055,-89.956055&zoom=6&markers=size:mid|color:red|29.104177,-89.835205&maptype=terrain&size=220x220&sensor=false

A photo posted to Twitter by local Lafayette, LA KLFY TV10 is reported to show smoke billowing up from the burning oil rig in Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2012/11/16/li-gulf-fire-local.jpg

shaarona
11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Oh nuts.............

Calypso Jones
11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I am waiting to see how this is Bush/Romney's fault.

truthmatters
11-16-2012, 12:18 PM
regulations

hanger4
11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
regulations

Lack of ??

or to many ??

exotix
11-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I suspect we'll be hearing from BP Apologist Barton when investigations and lawsuits get underway ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvKZh3EY9S4

shaarona
11-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Lack of ??

or to many ??

BP was farming out its safety audit requiremeents to companies all over the US who didn't communicate with each other... so there was NO oversite and NO one could be held accountable.

That was all addressed in the spring of 2011 ...

BP is an icky company.. always have been.

hanger4
11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
BP was farming out its safety audit requiremeents to companies all over the US who didn't communicate with each other... so there was NO oversite and NO one could be held accountable.

That was all addressed in the spring of 2011 ...

BP is an icky company.. always have been.

Ain't that the Feds irresponsibility ??

roadmaster
11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
They have had problems before in the past.

shaarona
11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Ain't that the Feds irresponsibility ??

The feds do inspect.. but they aren't oil industry pros.. The oil companies are required to meet or exceed certain specific rules and regs and audit..

I only know this because my late brother did the work after Deepwater Horizon. He was contracted as a safety auditor from a related company... and he was a private industry safety officer.

He flipped when he saw what BP was doing.

shaarona
11-16-2012, 02:51 PM
They have had problems before in the past.

BP has never really been fixed on core competencies.

hanger4
11-16-2012, 02:56 PM
The feds do inspect.. but they aren't oil industry pros.. The oil companies are required to meet or exceed certain specific rules and regs and audit..

I only know this because my late brother did the work after Deepwater Horizon. He was contracted as a safety auditor from a related company... and he was a private industry safety officer.

He flipped when he saw what BP was doing.

Thanks

Carygrant
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Lack of ??

or to many ??

Exactly

hanger4
11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Exactly

Your cockney (or wherever) humor is lost on sane people.

Peter1469
11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
It looks like someone used a blow torch on the wrong pipe.

exotix
11-16-2012, 06:49 PM
*update*

*It does not appear the incident could lead to a major environmental disaster* ~ Coast Guard Capt. Peter Gautier.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/16/15219089-2-missing-11-hurt-in-gulf-oil-rig-blast-tied-to-workers-using-torch?lite

Two workers were missing and 11 were airlifted to hospitals Friday after an explosion and fire aboard a Gulf of Mexico oil rig that was apparently triggered by workers using a torch to cut into a pipe, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

A Coast Guard official briefs reporters on the explosion and fire aboard a Gulf of Mexico oil rig.

Earlier reports from local officials said two workers had died, but the Coast Guard could not confirm that.

Damage from the fire aboard a Gulf of Mexico oil rig is seen Friday after the fire was put out.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/121116_rig-fire.photoblog600.jpg

patrickt
11-17-2012, 07:24 PM
More "bumps in the road" and "less than optimal". In any case, it's all President Bush's fault.

shaarona
11-18-2012, 10:03 AM
More "bumps in the road" and "less than optimal". In any case, it's all President Bush's fault.

More ridiculous quips from you..

Peter1469
11-18-2012, 10:19 AM
More ridiculous quips from you..

He is quoting Obama.....

shaarona
11-18-2012, 10:33 AM
He is quoting Obama.....

And applying it to two men dead of an oil rig explosion in the Gulf.

Peter1469
11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
And applying it to two men dead of an oil rig explosion in the Gulf.

Obama applied it to 4 dead men in Benghazi.

Chloe
11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Oil rigs are dangerous to people, animals living in the ocean, and the ocean itself. We really should stop building those things and start dismantling them I think. We have other types of cleaner and safer energy that we all should be trying a lot harder to take the place of oil with.

shaarona
11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Oil rigs are dangerous to people, animals living in the ocean, and the ocean itself. We really should stop building those things and start dismantling them I think. We have other types of cleaner and safer energy that we all should be trying a lot harder to take the place of oil with.

Not really.. Your tires, the console of your automobile.. all the containers for your Tide and Gain etc are made from petroleum.

This explosion was human error.. and tragic.. but do remember that 26 barrels of oil were spilled.

Chloe
11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
True but it could have been a lot worse. I know that oil is used to make a lot of things but as for energy we do have alternatives that would be better than gasoline.

shaarona
11-18-2012, 01:43 PM
True but it could have been a lot worse. I know that oil is used to make a lot of things but as for energy we do have alternatives that would be better than gasoline.

Well.. there is a possibility for using corn, switch grass and other green stuff to make fuel, but that requires more water and more fertilizers made from Petroleum..

One of the problems in the US is that we have no efficiencies of scale.. whereas in some countries crude oil goes directly to downstream manufacturing. So when you crack out sulfur or urea that is also sold and used.

Chloe
11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Well.. there is a possibility for using corn, switch grass and other green stuff to make fuel, but that requires more water and more fertilizers made from Petroleum..

One of the problems in the US is that we have no efficiencies of scale.. whereas in some countries crude oil goes directly to downstream manufacturing. So when you crack out sulfur or urea that is also sold and used.

You probably know more about it than I do but I would think that there is almost unlimited power from the sun that could be better used in cars and trucks. I have a prius that I got last year when I graduated and started college and it is great but sometimes I think that the people that build those cars don't put as much effort into truly making it clean energy car that doesn't use gas at all. They have the electric cars but it still seems like sun power is something that could be used a lot better. I know this is not really the topic that they probably want us talking about though since it is about oil rigs but it just seems like something is lagging when it comes to stopping our use of oil and gas with cars and trucks and planes and such.

shaarona
11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
You probably know more about it than I do but I would think that there is almost unlimited power from the sun that could be better used in cars and trucks. I have a prius that I got last year when I graduated and started college and it is great but sometimes I think that the people that build those cars don't put as much effort into truly making it clean energy car that doesn't use gas at all. They have the electric cars but it still seems like sun power is something that could be used a lot better. I know this is not really the topic that they probably want us talking about though since it is about oil rigs but it just seems like something is lagging when it comes to stopping our use of oil and gas with cars and trucks and planes and such.

At least you are thinking about the alternatives.. I think we can make far better small use of solar in many areas of the country.. and I would like to see that even if it was only for hot water.

My brothers all have cars .. I think they call them hybrids, that use both electricity and gasoline. We'll get there.

Taxcutter
11-18-2012, 02:08 PM
"We have other types of cleaner and safer energy that we all should be trying a lot harder to take the place of oil with."

Taxcutter asks:
Like what? Have you been asleep the last four years? One alternative after another is tried ... and fails. Oil and gas dominate for a reason - they work.

One boneheaded union pipefitter cutting the wrong pipe doesn't change that fact.

Chloe
11-18-2012, 02:14 PM
"We have other types of cleaner and safer energy that we all should be trying a lot harder to take the place of oil with."

Taxcutter asks:
Like what? Have you been asleep the last four years? One alternative after another is tried ... and fails. Oil and gas dominate for a reason - they work.

One boneheaded union pipefitter cutting the wrong pipe doesn't change that fact.

ok but oil and gas are not things that will be here forever and on top of that they pollute and can cause a lot of environmental damage. Everything is so dependent on gasoline that nothing is really made or used in a way that sunlight or something else like that could really be used as an alternative. Oil and gas work but that doesn't mean that we should abandon cleaner and safer things to take its place or wait around until the last minute to start trying harder. People just don't try as hard as they should and they end up just saying to themselves that the way we do it now is just easier. We should want to get off of things like gasoline, not continue it.

Peter1469
11-18-2012, 05:22 PM

http://www.energyvictory.net/

Yes there is.

patrickt
11-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Whatever happened it was President Bush's fault.

Peter1469
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Whatever happened it was President Bush's fault.

Obama said it so many times it is just assumed now....