PDA

View Full Version : Americans’ Contempt For Each Other Is A Key Indicator Of A Future Divorce

Chris
09-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Time for a divorce? Or replace contempt with discussion?

Americans’ Contempt For Each Other Is A Key Indicator Of A Future Divorce (http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/08/americans-contempt-key-indicator-future-divorce/)

It’s tempting to blame the dysfunction of American politics on presidents, politicians, or political parties, and even easier to demand the remedy from them. The truth is, Americans need to take a look in the mirror to identify the heart of the problem: We have cultivated a political culture where healthy debate is nearly impossible.

The political left and right in America are like partners in a marriage gone bad. Before we can work out problems like health care or other policies, we all need to relearn how to communicate.

According to John Gottman, one of the world’s leading experts on marriage, there is no pattern of communication more lethal to a relationship than contempt. He designates contempt as the single most powerful indicator of divorce. By observing just one hour of conversation between partners, Gottman says he can predict with 94 percent accuracy whether a marriage will end in divorce. It is the presence or absence of contempt, more than any other factor, that makes the difference.

...Fortunately, there is a way forward. It’s found in learning how to disagree again. It should be noted that contempt is not disagreement. Disagreeing with another viewpoint is appropriate and healthy in political discourse. If we define disagreement as an assertion that something is wrong with another person’s viewpoint, then contempt is defined as the assertion that nothing about the person is right. We have to be sure that disagreement about a viewpoint does not creep into a judgment about the person. Like marriage partners, we need to find constructive ways to say our piece, disagree, and move forward.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 01:21 PM
I see contempt on this forum every day. And this is just a small section of America.

Some here have already determined that the Perianne is contemptible. And why? Because we disagree?

We should, as a group, agree to stop with the contempt of each other.

Chris
09-15-2017, 01:41 PM
I see some with nothing but contempt for other members here.

Perianne
09-15-2017, 02:15 PM
I see some with nothing but contempt for other members here.
So why do they come here? Are they so unhappy that they wish to heap more unhappiness upon themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I love having lefties here, as it adds to the mix. But everyone should keep their contempt in their closet.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2017, 02:19 PM
I like whipping out my contempt so everyone can see the size of it.

Most are surprised at how big it is but there are always one or two that say "mine's bigger".

Chris
09-15-2017, 02:27 PM
So why do they come here? Are they so unhappy that they wish to heap more unhappiness upon themselves?

Don't get me wrong, I love having lefties here, as it adds to the mix. But everyone should keep their contempt in their closet.

Because that seems to be their thing, who they are. They think disagreement entails disagreeableness. --Some are totally unaware of it.

Chris
09-15-2017, 02:37 PM
The "logic" is this:

Premise 1: I'm right.
Premise 2: You're wrong.
Therefore: There's something wrong with you.

Some skip the premises.

resister
09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
I like to say, "I'm not better than them, but I am better than that!​ "