PDA

View Full Version : Trump is dropping the ball in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Sure he signed the disaster declaration, but this one is gonna take more than that. Our so-called leader is gonna hafta actually lead.

I don't think he's up to it. He's too busy feuding with professional football players.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-criticised-for-silence-over-puerto-rico-disaster-a7965356.html

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/25/trump-fixates-on-nfl-protests-while-ignoring-the-disaster-in-puerto-rico/

Puerto Rico is a disaster area, the Virgin Islands are a disaster area, but the White House is a disaster in progress.

Common
09-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Puerto Rico is not a state and yes we should help but they shouldnt expect what texas and florida recieves. Remember, Texans and Floridians pay taxs, Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico do not and thats why for decades they voted down statehood, just recently they voted for it when the country went bankrupt, so of course we have to pay all their bills.

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 08:20 AM
while they may not pay personal federal income tax, they do pay plenty of federal taxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico

Also, they are US citizens.

del
09-25-2017, 09:03 AM
it's unfair to expect trump to actually govern

that's not why he was elected

DGUtley
09-25-2017, 09:10 AM
Jumped on that fairly quickly, eh? The first two recoveries the feds were right on despite predictions of disasters. They are on this but it'll take a bit more b/c of the devastation. Yes, the PR's should get all we can give.

Green Arrow
09-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Puerto Rico is not a state and yes we should help but they shouldnt expect what texas and florida recieves. Remember, Texans and Floridians pay taxs, Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico do not and thats why for decades they voted down statehood, just recently they voted for it when the country went bankrupt, so of course we have to pay all their bills.

Puerto Ricans are Americans, period. And they do pay taxes, just not payroll taxes.

resister
09-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Crepitus, what is he not doing that you feel he should?

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Crepitus, what is he not doing that you feel he should?

Assisting! We have resources, particularly a couple of naval vessels specifically designed for this kinda situation. Huge power plants, fresh water, food and medical supplies, you name it, set up specifically to send to disasters sites. They went to Hati after the earthquake.

stjames1_53
09-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Puerto Ricans are Americans, period. And they do pay taxes, just not payroll taxes.

I gotta chuckle, bubba...it is a territory. Those payments are tribute, not leverage..........and they are Puerto Ricans. By birth and by choice

Green Arrow
09-25-2017, 12:29 PM
I gotta chuckle, bubba...it is a territory. Those payments are tribute, not leverage..........and they are Puerto Ricans. By birth and by choice

Citizens of that territory are Americans.

stjames1_53
09-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Assisting! We have resources, particularly a couple of naval vessels specifically designed for this kinda situation. Huge power plants, fresh water, food and medical supplies, you name it, set up specifically to send to disasters sites. They went to Hati after the earthquake.

it'll have to raised from nothing. There's not a whole lot left.
How do you build an entire country?

stjames1_53
09-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Citizens of that territory are Americans.

you're splitting hairs. They are not American citizens

jimmyz
09-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Having the sea between the US and the island can slow the delivery of aid. I would think FEMA is handling this not Trump personally. This is a hit-piece anti-Trump OP.

Captain Obvious
09-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Having the sea between the US and the island can slow the delivery of aid. I would think FEMA is handling this not Trump personally. This is a hit-piece anti-Trump OP.

Yeah, same old same old from the same crowd who will never, ever say anything constructive about this administration.

How anyone pays a **** hair of attentiln to this stuff is beyond me. If these people showed even a minimal amount of objectivity I might consider their points but when it's nothing but hit pieces, why would I waste my time?

Common
09-25-2017, 01:14 PM
while they may not pay personal federal income tax, they do pay plenty of federal taxes.

I didnt say they werent citizens and they I will repeat they pay no federal taxs and they are not a state. The US tried many times to incorprate them into statehood and they outright turned it down.

I also said we should help them in my post and we should

Common
09-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Thats true and I hadnt thought of it in that way

Green Arrow
09-25-2017, 01:30 PM

3.4 million of them are.

Captdon
09-25-2017, 01:36 PM

And they are in Puerto Rico. We have delivered millions of MRE's. Not much we can do when the whole place is without power. FEMA was in place before the hurricane hit.What else should he do?

To people like you nothing he does is ever enough.

Kalkin
09-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Jumped on that fairly quickly, eh? The first two recoveries the feds were right on despite predictions of disasters. They are on this but it'll take a bit more b/c of the devastation. Yes, the PR's should get all we can give.

The anti-Trump hacks are out in force, once again constructing mountains out of molehills. It'll be fun watching them lose yet again in 2018 and 2020.

Captdon
09-25-2017, 01:37 PM

They certainly are.

resister
09-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Assisting! We have resources, particularly a couple of naval vessels specifically designed for this kinda situation. Huge power plants, fresh water, food and medical supplies, you name it, set up specifically to send to disasters sites. They went to Hati after the earthquake.So you are saying that is not happening?

resister
09-25-2017, 02:54 PM
FOX news just reported that one million and a half gallons of water has been delivered.

Peter1469
09-25-2017, 04:36 PM
The federal government's response to all of these recent storms has gone well. Better than past responses.

resister
09-25-2017, 04:37 PM
The federal government's response to all of these recent storms has gone well. Better than past responses.But it's Trump, so...:rollseyes:

Peter1469
09-25-2017, 04:38 PM
But it's Trump, so...:rollseyes:

Silence from the media.

hanger4
09-25-2017, 04:54 PM
3 days ago;

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/09/23/federal-government-moving-resources-support-puerto-rico-and-us-virgin

Airports needed to be repaired, ports needed to be repaired to deliver needed supplies. This doesn't happen over night. The bashers are succumbing to their TDS.

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 05:06 PM
FOX news just reported that one million and a half gallons of water has been delivered.

That's not much for 3.4M people.

hanger4
09-25-2017, 05:18 PM
That's not much for 3.4M people.

How much has already been delivered ?? How much is being off loaded as we speak ?? How much is on the way ??

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 06:09 PM
How much has already been delivered ?? How much is being off loaded as we speak ?? How much is on the way ??

I have no idea. However, no disaster relief package has been announced for PR or the USVI's. Meanwhile, the Guajataca Dam is damaged and it if fails, is likely to flood the NW part of the island with 11 billion gallons of water.

These islands need fresh water and power or people are going start dying. Most immediately the navy needs to bring in both fresh water treatment equipment and desalinization plants that can be docked and hooked into Puerto Rico’s water systems. Note they brought in these desalinization plants in 2015 when PR was experiencing a drought. I would also suggest Bloom Energy servers for the hospitals until the grid can be rebuilt.

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 07:10 PM
it'll have to raised from nothing. There's not a whole lot left.
How do you build an entire country?

It's not an entire country, it's part of the US. American citizens.

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 07:12 PM
So you are saying that is not happening?

No word on anything like that. I've looked.

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 07:13 PM

That's not enough to keep them going for a day.

resister
09-25-2017, 07:15 PM
I have no idea. However, no disaster relief package has been announced for PR or the USVI's. Meanwhile, the Guajataca Dam is damaged and it if fails, is likely to flood the NW part of the island with 11 billion gallons of water.

These islands need fresh water and power or people are going start dying. Most immediately the navy needs to bring in both fresh water treatment equipment and desalinization plants that can be docked and hooked into Puerto Rico’s water systems. Note they brought in these desalinization plants in 2015 when PR was experiencing a drought. I would also suggest Bloom Energy servers for the hospitals until the grid can be rebuilt.
So do you think that is not underway? Link?

resister
09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
No word on anything like that. I've looked.
I doubt it.

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 07:17 PM
And they are in Puerto Rico. We have delivered millions of MRE's. Not much we can do when the whole place is without power. FEMA was in place before the hurricane hit.What else should he do?

To people like you nothing he does is ever enough.

If they are in Puerto Rico I haven't seen anything confirming it.

You gotta link?

resister
09-25-2017, 07:21 PM
I doubt it.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2017/09/24/clueless-hillary-clinton-tweets-about-u-s-military-hurricane-relief-efforts-in-puerto-rico/

Crepitus
09-25-2017, 07:26 PM
I doubt it.

You may doubt all you want, as usual it still won't change the truth of my statement.

resister
09-25-2017, 07:29 PM
You may doubt all you want, as usual it still won't change the truth of my statement.
lol, sometimes lol is perfectly appropriate, this is certainly, one of those times. lol

Dangermouse
09-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Warn him that if he doesn't help, they all 3 million of them have the right to come to America!

resister
09-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Warn him that if he doesn't help, they all 3 million of them have the right to come to America!Try to keep up, at least one million have already done so!

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 07:39 PM
So do you think that is not underway? Link?
I said I have no idea. The people of PR feel like they have been abandoned and are starting to panic.

Dangermouse
09-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Try to keep up, at least one million have already done so!

Way ahead of you, and not even breathing heavily.

resister
09-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Way ahead of you, and not even breathing heavily.
Sure! OK your post say's other wise!

resister
09-25-2017, 07:45 PM
I said I have no idea. The people of PR feel like they have been abandoned and are starting to panic.
I have asked several people this, as an arm chair QB, can you tell us what is not happening that needs to? Your admission you have no idea is a good admission.

hanger4
09-25-2017, 07:55 PM

"abandoned and are starting to panic"

Stop it Dr. Who, hyperbole is so unbecoming of you.

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
I have asked several people this, as an arm chair QB, can you tell us what is not happening that needs to? Your admission you have no idea is a good admission.

Getting power to the hospitals, so that all of those on dialysis and various levels of life support don't die, and so the operating rooms are not dripping in condensation and any remaining patients don't expire. Getting power to the water treatment plants so people at least have fresh water. Getting power to places where the elderly and people with breathing problems can go and not die of heat exhaustion or athsma.

I know that the military is working on clearing the roads, and airports but if this were a battle situation, they would be air dropping supplies and equipment. Many people in PR no longer even have shelter. They need tents and portapotties so that disease and infection doesn't start making a bad situation worse. I'm sure that I haven't covered a tenth of what they need.

resister
09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Getting power to the hospitals, so that all of those on dialysis and various levels of life support don't die, and so the operating rooms are not dripping in condensation and any remaining patients don't expire. Getting power to the water treatment plants so people at least have fresh water. Getting power to places where the elderly and people with breathing problems can go and not die of heat exhaustion or athsma.

I know that the military is working on clearing the roads, and airports but if this were a battle situation, they would be air dropping supplies and equipment. Many people in PR no longer even have shelter. They need tents and portapotties so that disease and infection doesn't start making a bad situation worse. I'm sure that I haven't covered a tenth of what they need.
As you know, Hospitals are first priority and your post implies these things are not happening.

As stated, hyperbole does not become you, shame!

hanger4
09-25-2017, 08:11 PM

You're right Dr. Who everyone's sitting around twiddling their thumbs. :rollseyes:

hanger4
09-25-2017, 08:17 PM
As you know, Hospitals are first priority and your post implies these things are not happening.

Not to mention the hospitals have generators and they're being fueled.

resister
09-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Not mention the hospitals have generators and they're being fueled.
Liberals never let a tradgedy go to waste to score political points on the backs of the victims, F'n disgusting... bout done replying to that shit:rollseyes:

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:22 PM
"abandoned and are starting to panic"

Stop it Dr. Who, hyperbole is so unbecoming of you.
That is what I read. It has been almost a week since the hurricane hit. The island is devastated and people cannot simply drive away to somewhere more hospitable. They are getting desperate. Many are down to very minor amounts of fresh water. The stores are running out of supplies and the gas stations are running out of fuel. People are panicking and wondering where FEMA is.

Read it yourself and then imagine how you might feel in the circumstances: https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/9/25/16360488/hurricane-maria-2017-puerto-rico-recovery-san-juan-hospitals-electricty-cell-service
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico/index.html
http://abcnews.go.com/US/chopper-ride-puerto-rico-shows-dire-situation-maria/story?id=50075482

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:24 PM
Not to mention the hospitals have generators and they're being fueled.
Not all of them.

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Liberals never let a tradgedy go to waste to score political points on the backs of the victims, F'n disgusting... bout done replying to that shit:rollseyes:
Right. Because I have a vested interest in PR? It's a humanitarian tragedy and I don't like to see people suffer. I just think that help could be mobilized faster if there was a will to do so.

resister
09-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Not all of them.
Any hospital not in a 3rd world country has massive generators with huge stores of fuel, could you link us to one that has a failed generator or a leaky, fuel tank?

resister
09-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Right. Because I have a vested interest in PR? It's a humanitarian tragedy and I don't like to see people suffer. I just think that help could be mobilized faster if there was a will to do so.
You keep saying that but consistently fail to back your hyperbole...:rollseyes:

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:30 PM

There are hospitals reporting being without power and water. Are you suggesting that they are lying or are you making this political just because you can?

Shame on anyone who is trying to score political points over a tragedy.

I'm out.

resister
09-25-2017, 08:36 PM
There are hospitals reporting being without power and water. Are you suggesting that they are lying or are you making this political just because you can?

Shame on anyone who is trying to score political points over a tragedy.

I'm out.
No, I just don't believe you without a link, I would dip out from this thread too, if I had made so many polite insults and unsubstantiated, hyperbole! Cant blame ya!

Dr. Who
09-25-2017, 08:40 PM
Any hospital not in a 3rd world country has massive generators with huge stores of fuel, could you link us to one that has a failed generator or a leaky, fuel tank?
Read the links I provided to Hanger4. I'm no longer debating this. You all can talk among yourselves.

resister
09-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Read the links I provided to Hanger4. I'm no longer debating this. You all can talk among yourselves.Thought you were out? By By!

Peter1469
09-26-2017, 05:52 PM
Here is some accurate information:

Navy, Marine Corps Providing Around-the-Clock Hurricane Maria Relief (https://news.usni.org/2017/09/25/navy-marine-corps-providing-around-clock-hurricane-maria-relief)

Navy and Marine Corps are working to reopen airfields and clear debris from the main roads of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as part of the ongoing Hurricane Maria relief efforts.
“We continue to conduct 24-hour operations, aggressively conducting search and rescue operations, bringing additional essential commodities to the islands, and restoring power at critical facilities with generators and the fuel needed to operate them,” said Col. Rob Manning, director of Defense Press Operations, while speaking with the media Monday.
USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), USS Wasp (LHD-1) and USS Oak Hill (LSD-51) had been in the region providing humanitarian aid to the region, including to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, following the Hurricane Irma.
Hurricane Maria made landfall early Wednesday with sustained winds of 155 miles per hour, and shortly after it moved out to sea, the Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group was back on the scene providing medical and technical assistance, according to a Navy statement.
Rear Adm. Jeff Hughes, commander of the Kearsarge ARG, is in contact with the government of Puerto Rico, and Manning said is on the ground to also respond to requests for assistance.
The 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit has air control teams working to open airfields at both St. Croix and St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, where locations, according to a Navy statement. Opening the airfields will make it easier for disaster relief teams to bring supplies onto the islands.
The Kearsarge ARG also transported the Army’s 602nd Area Support Medical Company and the Civil Authority Information Support Element to St. Thomas. The teams are also transporting supplies between St. Croix and St. Thomas.
https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170923-A-PF443-0008.jpg (https://news.usni.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170923-A-PF443-0008.jpg)U.S. Army Soldiers assigned to the 602nd Area Support Medical Company, 261st Medical Battalion, 44th Medical Brigade, Fort Bragg, North Carolina, depart the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) aboard a landing craft, utility in the Caribbean Sea on Sept. 23, 2017. US Army Photo

As Maria approached, the ships sailed out to locations away from the storm’s expected path, according to a Navy statement. The ships remained available to respond to the region if asked. Kearsarge, Oak Hill and Wasp returned as the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is in charge of relief efforts, surveyed the scope of damage to the islands,
Since the returning to Puerto Rico, Manning said the ARG conducted eight medical evacuations, 123 airlifts and delivered 22,200 pounds of relief supplies and cargo to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
“This is a long-term effort, it’s a marathon, not a sprint, so DoD will continue to support them as long as support is needed,” Manning said.

Peter1469
09-26-2017, 05:56 PM
And a lot of them are going to die regardless of our best efforts.

Diabetes is big on the island.

Dr. Who
09-26-2017, 06:06 PM
And a lot of them are going to die regardless of our best efforts.

Diabetes is big on the island.
Ensuring a supply of insulin at hospitals, dialysis for those who have kidney failure and treatment for infection would mitigate mortality.