PDA

View Full Version : Will that be "president Rubio"?

Deadwood
11-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I can't quite recall the first time I came across the name Marco Rubio. I do recall there was some speculation he might be a good choice for VP, long before Romney got the nod.

And now, just days past the election, his name comes up big time.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/18/rubio-makes-his-iowa-debut-as-possible-future-of-the-republican-party/
ALTOONA, Iowa – As the Republican Party regroups after Mitt Romney’s defeat, the message Saturday night at Iowa Republican Gov. Terry Branstad’s birthday fundraiser was “turn the page” and “look to the future” — and what that future apparently holds is Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, the event’s featured speaker.

What's eerie? I learned about a young state senator the same way, that would be Barack Obama.

Make sure to read:
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/15/why-rubio-is-a-frontrunner/

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/18/rubio-makes-his-iowa-debut-as-possible-future-of-the-republican-party/#ixzz2CcmhBO61

Peter1469
11-18-2012, 07:45 PM
We need to stop pushing people into the higher offices before they are ready. See what Obama got us?

Deadwood
11-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Good point.

GrassrootsConservative
11-18-2012, 07:53 PM
We need to stop pushing people into the higher offices before they are ready. See what Obama got us?

Agreed.

Mister D
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Rubio will be awfully attractive as a candidate for obvious reasons.

Mainecoons
11-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Rubio doesn't come close to satisfying the "natural born" clause of the Constitution. Are we to join the left in simply ignoring it?

Agravan
11-19-2012, 08:59 AM
You can be sure that the left would make it an issue, hypocrites that they are. The Constitution only matters to them when they can use it as a weapon against conservatives.

Mainecoons
11-19-2012, 09:04 AM
It is an issue. We either follow the Constitution or are no better than they are.

Rubio does not under any stretch of the imagination satisfy the natural born requirement for POTUS or VPOTUS.

Agravan
11-19-2012, 09:12 AM
I agree. Rubio does not satisfy the Natural-Born citizen requirement. I'm just saying that the left, while ignorining obama's obvious questionable background, Kenyan father, etc., would make any conservative in a similar situation unelectable. Which he should be, but that's my point: the hypocracy of the left.

Cigar
11-19-2012, 09:16 AM

Two (2) Republican Presidential loses in a row.

KC
11-19-2012, 10:59 AM
It is an issue. We either follow the Constitution or are no better than they are.

Rubio does not under any stretch of the imagination satisfy the natural born requirement for POTUS or VPOTUS.

How do you figure? He was born in Miami. I carry a US Constitution on my person at all times, the citizenship clause, as you say, requires that someone is a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the US at the time of ratification.

The only SC case that really sheds light on this is Lynch v Clarke:

Suppose a person should be elected president who was native born, but of alien parents; could there be any reasonable doubt that he was eligible under the Constitution? I think not. The position would be decisive in his favor, that by the rule of the common law, in force when the Constitution was adopted, he is a citizen.

Based on this statement and the common law at the time of the US Constitution, it seems that any person who was born in these United States is eligible for the Presidency or Vice Presidency, as long as they fill the other requirements.

Mainecoons
11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
His parents were not citizens at the time of his birth. The natural born clause specifically requires this.

KC
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM
His parents were not citizens at the time of his birth. The natural born clause specifically requires this.

Where? My copy of the US Constitution says the following:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident of the United States.

Where do you get the thing about the parents in that?

KC
11-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I suppose the trouble here is that the US Constitution fails to define a natural born citizen for us. An originalist has to go back to the scholarship and find out what a natural born citizen was at the time of the founding fathers. Otherwise, a person only has to look to the Fourteenth Amendment, which says:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

That makes it clear who is a citizen, so the way I've always understood it, "natural born" simply means that citizenship was attained at birth because she or he was born in the United States. So if Barack Obama was born in Hawaii, and if Marco Rubio was born in Miami, both are citizens of the United States and have been since birth, so both are eligible to be President of the United States.

Kabuki Joe
11-19-2012, 12:09 PM

...if he was the right man for the job there would be no issue...

Kabuki Joe

Mainecoons
11-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Here's a pretty detailed discussion of it. The Constitution specifically differentiated between the offices of POTUS/VPOTUS and all others in this matter. For all others, only citizenship is required, a naturalized person can run for any political office as a citizen. A natural born citizen is one born of citizen parents. Rubio fails the stricter test.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2908140/posts

KC
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Here's a pretty detailed discussion of it. The Constitution specifically differentiated between the offices of POTUS/VPOTUS and all others in this matter. For all others, only citizenship is required, a naturalized person can run for any political office as a citizen. A natural born citizen is one born of citizen parents. Rubio fails the stricter test.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2908140/posts

Well he makes a pretty convincing case that the founders followed Vattel's logic rather than the logic of British Common law regarding natural born subjects. If he is right, any originalist would have to reject the Constitutionality of President Barack Obama and Marco Rubio.

Otherwise, I still think it makes sense to go by British Common law, which the founders also would have been steeped in and which the blogger in your article gives us a summary of. If we take natural born US citizens to be the legal equivalent of natural born British subjects in the eyes of the founding fathers, then both Barack Obama and Marco Rubio are eligible.

“THE first and most obvious division of the people is into aliens and natural-born subjects. Natural-born subjects are such as are born within the dominions of the crown of England, that is, within the … allegiance of the king; and aliens, such as are born out of it. Allegiance is the tie … which binds the subject to the king …”

Now obviously this is not necessarily the case. I guess the originalist definition of natural born citizen depends on whether it is true that the founding fathers accepted Vattel's definition as their own. So, for now, I'll concede the point.

Mister D
11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
The crown...:cool2: How cool is that? Sorry, for the disruption. Just sayin'. Proceed.

Deadwood
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Well he makes a pretty convincing case that the founders followed Vattel's logic rather than the logic of British Common law regarding natural born subjects. If he is right, any originalist would have to reject the Constitutionality of President Barack Obama and Marco Rubio.

Otherwise, I still think it makes sense to go by British Common law, which the founders also would have been steeped in and which the blogger in your article gives us a summary of. If we take natural born US citizens to be the legal equivalent of natural born British subjects in the eyes of the founding fathers, then both Barack Obama and Marco Rubio are eligible.

“THE first and most obvious division of the people is into aliens and natural-born subjects. Natural-born subjects are such as are born within the dominions of the crown of England, that is, within the … allegiance of the king; and aliens, such as are born out of it. Allegiance is the tie … which binds the subject to the king …”

Now obviously this is not necessarily the case. I guess the originalist definition of natural born citizen depends on whether it is true that the founding fathers accepted Vattel's definition as their own. So, for now, I'll concede the point.

Oh boy. The guy is a senator with one national speech under him and already we have a birther controversy. Racists!

Peter1469
11-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Two (2) Republican Presidential loses in a row.

And largely a failure as a president. :shocked: