PDA

View Full Version : Respect for nation, not racism, motivated Trump to criticize athlete protesters

Common
09-26-2017, 05:03 PM
I agree and its not about politics or defending trump, its genuinely what I believe. Too many americans have lost thier lives fighting under our flag. I respect the right to protest and believe in the right of americans to protest but not at public paid events that the protesters profit handsomely from at the expense of those paying and not denigrating our flag and national anthem.

President Trump (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/donald-trump/) and his aides said Monday that he is motivated by respect for the country, not by racism, when he criticizes professional athletes for protesting the national anthem as a furor raged for a fourth straight day in the sports world, in Congress and in the media over his comments.

“This isn’t about the president being against anyone,” said White House (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/white-house/) press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/sarah-huckabee-sanders/). “This is about the president and millions of Americans being for something, being for honoring our flag, honoring our national anthem and honoring the men and women who fought to defend it.”
Mr. Trump (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/donald-trump/), who said Friday at a political rally that NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) owners should fire any “son of a bitch” who kneels during the “Star-Spangled Banner,” said Monday that his criticism of players kneeling “has nothing to do with race.”
“It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) must respect this!” the president said on Twitter, the morning after hundreds of NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) players sat, knelt or locked arms during the anthem.
By comparison, Mr. Trump (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/donald-trump/) said he was proud of NASCAR and its fans, who he said showed proper respect at Sunday’s race in New Hampshire. Several high-profile car owners said they would fire employees who didn’t show respect.

“It is about respect for our Country, Flag and National Anthem. NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) must respect this!” the president said on Twitter, the morning after hundreds of NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) players sat, knelt or locked arms during the anthem.
By comparison, Mr. Trump (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/donald-trump/) said he was proud of NASCAR and its fans, who he said showed proper respect at Sunday’s race in New Hampshire. Several high-profile car owners said they would fire employees who didn’t show respect.
“They won’t put up with disrespecting our Country or our Flag - they said it loud and clear!” the president tweeted.
But Dale Earnhardt Jr., a NASCAR driver, did tweet his disagreement with Mr. Trump (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/donald-trump/)’s condemnation of NFL (http://www.washingtontimes.com/topics/national-football-league/) players who protest.
“All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests,” tweeted Earnhardt, who also quoted former President John F. Kennedy. “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/25/white-house-says-trump-standing-flag-not-targeting/

Green Arrow
09-26-2017, 06:29 PM
The president - and everyone else making a mountain out of this molehill - needs to find something better to do with his time.

AZ Jim
09-26-2017, 06:32 PM
With all that's going on in this world this nimrod is hung up on that NFL bullshit.

Common
09-26-2017, 06:56 PM
The president - and everyone else making a mountain out of this molehill - needs to find something better to do with his time.
The more you talk about this Green Arrow the more I believe you are way out of touch
because most americans see this for what it really is. Only the left which always defends the ridiculous can defend this.

Crepitus
09-26-2017, 07:08 PM
I'm afraid I disagree. The *president*'s current and past behavior point to this being racially motivated.

As far as both he and the white house saying it isn't? Well what would you expect them to say?

Green Arrow
09-26-2017, 07:15 PM
The more you talk about this Green Arrow the more I believe you are way out of touch
because most americans see this for what it really is. Only the left which always defends the ridiculous can defend this.

I really don't care how "most Americans" feel about this. They need to get over themselves. You will not convince me that it is at all acceptable for grown adults to throw such a huge hissy fit over what sports players do in the first five minutes of a game that doesn't actually impact the game, how it's played, or how long it goes on.

This is all because one guy decided to kneel on a sideline during the national anthem. You can try to spin it however you like, it's completely ridiculous and immature to put this much effort into being pissed off about that.

Mister D
09-26-2017, 07:22 PM
Anyone who genuinely believes this was motivated by racism is an idiot. Seriously.

Dr. Who
09-26-2017, 07:57 PM

There are so many more important issues than football, football players and their microaggressions. If what is happening with NFL player protests rises to the same importance as the potential for war with NK and the terrifying perspective of major nations facing off, there is something truly wrong with people's priorities and values. Sports is entertainment and fake patriotism sells seats. The sports industry is big business and uses every trick in the book to make a buck. What in the world does sports have to do with fallen soldiers, respecting them or disrespecting them? Players are not ersatz soldiers nor are they paying homage to the sacrifices of soldiers. Players are required by their corporate owners to play the game, not just on the field or court, but through charity and any other venue that will promote the success of the franchise. To think that there is any more to it than gratuitous pandering to nationalism to make a buck is beyond naive. The franchise owners/operators have the souls and emotional depth of lizards.

ripmeister
09-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Anyone who genuinely believes this was motivated by racism is an idiot. Seriously.
I don't know if it was motivated by racism but it is just another example of The Salesman stoking the cultural fires. My guess is this has nothing to do with Trumps so called patriotism. It's just another example of him playing to his base. Good lord, the man tweeted something like 24 times about the NFL situation and 5 times about the debacle occurring in Puerto Rico. That shows where his priorities are.

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:08 PM
I don't know if it was motivated by racism but it is just another example of The Salesman stoking the cultural fires. My guess is this has nothing to do with Trumps so called patriotism. It's just another example of him playing to his base. Good lord, the man tweeted something like 24 times about the NFL situation and 5 times about the debacle occurring in Puerto Rico. That shows where his priorities are.
I do. Anyone who genuinely believes that's even a reasonable assertion is a complete imbecile.

Yeah, a politician playing to his base is unprecedented. It's the era of Trump! :rollseyes:

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Yes, there are more important issues like Confederate flags and monuments.

Dangermouse
09-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Trump's racism on open display.

Perianne
09-26-2017, 08:13 PM

Most Americans care more about the NFL than Puerto Ricans.

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Exhibit A

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:14 PM
rip isn't losing any sleep over it either.

ripmeister
09-26-2017, 08:22 PM
I do. Anyone who genuinely believes that's even a reasonable assertion is a complete imbecile.

Yeah, a politician playing to his base is unprecedented. It's the era of Trump! :rollseyes:

You do what? Believe it was motivated by racism.

ripmeister
09-26-2017, 08:25 PM
rip isn't losing any sleep over it either.

Well considering that one of my colleagues who is Puerto Rican hasn't heard from or about her grandmother it has been on my mind a bit.

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Well considering that one of my colleagues who is Puerto Rican hasn't heard from or about her grandmother it has been on my mind a bit.
Oh, I'm sure this Puerto Rican tragedy has had you in tears.

Mister D
09-26-2017, 08:29 PM
You do what? Believe it was motivated by racism.
No, I don't believe it was motivated by racism and only a complete idiot would think that's a reasonable conclusion. Hopefully you don't fall into that category.

Grokmaster
09-26-2017, 09:09 PM
With all that's going on in this world this nimrod is hung up on that NFL bull$#@!.

Hung up my ass. It's you and yours who are going apoplectic over it. It is just an "aside" for the POTUS, who laughably leads the left around by the nose, one tweet at a time...

Grokmaster
09-26-2017, 09:10 PM

Please quote his "racist" statements...from ANYTIME, EVER.

Grokmaster
09-26-2017, 09:11 PM
The Navy has been there from Day One, and massive relief is on the way. We couldn't just send truck convoys to get there immediately, as in Texas and Florida, could we?

ripmeister
09-26-2017, 09:23 PM
Oh, I'm sure this Puerto Rican tragedy has had you in tears.

No tears. Just concern.

ripmeister
09-26-2017, 09:25 PM
No, I don't believe it was motivated by racism and only a complete idiot would think that's a reasonable conclusion. Hopefully you don't fall into that category.
I don't. I must have misinterpreted what you wrote. As I said it's a stoking of the base was th another culture war. It's what he does.

Cletus
09-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Your ignorance and pettiness on open display.

leekohler2
09-26-2017, 11:11 PM
Trump is a piece if shit. Let's see what he does withPuerto Rico, oh wait. They're just a territory. Fuck you, Trump.

Cletus
09-27-2017, 02:18 AM
Trump is a piece if shit. Let's see what he does withPuerto Rico, oh wait. They're just a territory. Fuck you, Trump.

Are you really so uninformed that you actually believe the President has not taken measures to provide aid to Puerto Rico, or are you just so partisan the truth doesn't matter to you?

Tell me... If you were President, what would your first steps be in providing aid to this disaster? You don't have a clue, do you?

Mister D
09-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Please quote his "racist" statements...from ANYTIME, EVER.

Good luck one that one.

Abby08
09-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Are you really so uninformed that you actually believe the President has not taken measures to provide aid to Puerto Rico, or are you just so partisan the truth doesn't matter to you?

Tell me... If you were President, what would your first steps be in providing aid to this disaster? You don't have a clue, do you?

Trump had a plan in action, before that hurricane even hit, so, as always, the Trump hating liberals are once again, looking for something, anything, to lay at Trump's feet.

How many, of these loud mouths will be going to offer aid, I wonder? Maybe, they can get there faster than the people Trump is sending.

MisterVeritis
09-27-2017, 11:03 AM
There are so many more important issues than football, football players and their microaggressions.
It is one more leftist attack on the American culture. The President was right to comment.

MisterVeritis
09-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Trump is a piece if shit. Let's see what he does with Puerto Rico, oh wait. They're just a territory. Fuck you, Trump.
It is a shame I am not allowed to recommend that you see a mental health care professional. Maybe I should recommend it privately.

MisterVeritis
09-27-2017, 11:09 AM
LOL, it is true President Trump knows his base far better than the NFL knows its customers.

Unlike many who post here, President Trump has a proven ability to walk and chew gum.

The Xl
09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Not a fan of the protests, they're impotent and serve just to piss people off. The message has some merit, but has both been distorted and is being waged at the wrong forum. Was never a fan of the national anthem being sung at sporting events in the first place, it's effectively used there for government and military propaganda.

tl;dr, everyone sucks and I'm tired of this silly nonsense.

Agent Zero
09-28-2017, 07:32 PM

What does that mean Perianne?

nathanbforrest45
09-28-2017, 07:36 PM

What is a better use of his time than showing support for our flag and our institutions?

nathanbforrest45
09-28-2017, 07:40 PM

Wave his magic wand and declare anyone who is not on their way to Puerto Rico is a racist.

Mister D
09-28-2017, 07:43 PM
What does that mean @Perianne (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=762)?
Seems pretty straight forward, Zero.

nathanbforrest45
09-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Is straight forward a homophobic phrase? It may very well be.

Agent Zero
09-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Ok. You tell me.

Mister D
09-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Ok. You tell me.
It means that most Americans care more about the NFL than Puerto Rico. What are you having trouble grasping here, Zero?

Trish
09-28-2017, 09:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your colleague connects with her grandmother soon and that she is alright.

resister
09-28-2017, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your colleague connects with her grandmother soon and that she is alright.
Should happen soon, cell service is a top priority, right after restoring power to hospitals and Gov. services!

Captain Obvious
09-28-2017, 10:00 PM
It's not so much respect for nation, it's respect for those who respect the nation.

Privileged punks showboating in front of a camera, those same punks who collect million dollar paychecks and live whore lifestyles... where is the sincerity here?

These dicks are just pissing on people who feel strongly for the nation. Are you going to tell me that any of these punks give a flying fuck about anything other than their egos?

Honestly?

ripmeister
09-29-2017, 09:52 AM
It's not so much respect for nation, it's respect for those who respect the nation.

Privileged punks showboating in front of a camera, those same punks who collect million dollar paychecks and live $#@! lifestyles... where is the sincerity here?

These dicks are just pissing on people who feel strongly for the nation. Are you going to tell me that any of these punks give a flying $#@! about anything other than their egos?

Honestly?
I would imagine that at least some of them do.

Ransom
09-29-2017, 11:14 AM
This right here proves Trump isn't a racist nor are his heroic efforts in 3 simultaneous hurricanes. By the way, being from England, y'all see a lot of hurricanes huh?

Ransom
09-29-2017, 11:21 AM

His original speech showed where his priorities are. He addressed foreign policy, tax cuts, our economy, and played to his base concerning this NFL statement. The media picked it up and ran with it. Steph Curry and Lebron James to NBA's two superstars came out with responses. Tom Brady and other crying NFL players and coaches came out. Delanie Walker went so far as to say, don't like our protests, stay home.

We're merely willing then to fight that fight. You cannot stand for the national anthem to honor our flag....then I'll respond with free speech by not attending nor watching your game, I do think we make a big deal about this.

Ripmeister, I have asked many here, I get no answer. Perhaps you can respond. Can you....as part of your organization....wearing your company logo or uniform, kneel during the national anthem at a public event?

leekohler2
09-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Exactly.

"OMG! Somebody did not stand for the national Anthem! The world is going to end! They have to be fired!"

Right wingers, you lost me with all your hysteria over this. I was actually on your side with Kaepernick, but not for the reasons you'd like.

This is stupid- look at all the threads on this forum regarding this topic. It's utterly ridiculous.

ripmeister
09-29-2017, 11:27 AM
His original speech showed where his priorities are. He addressed foreign policy, tax cuts, our economy, and played to his base concerning this NFL statement. The media picked it up and ran with it. Steph Curry and Lebron James to NBA's two superstars came out with responses. Tom Brady and other crying NFL players and coaches came out. Delanie Walker went so far as to say, don't like our protests, stay home.

We're merely willing then to fight that fight. You cannot stand for the national anthem to honor our flag....then I'll respond with free speech by not attending nor watching your game, I do think we make a big deal about this.

Ripmeister, I have asked many here, I get no answer. Perhaps you can respond. Can you....as part of your organization....wearing your company logo or uniform, kneel during the national anthem at a public event?
Well I can't really answer that question because I'm not a part of such an organization nor would we have such public events.

Private Pickle
09-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Exactly.

"OMG! Somebody did not stand for the national Anthem! The world is going to end! They have to be fired!"

Right wingers, you lost me with all your hysteria over this. I was actually on your side with Kaepernick, but not for the reasons you'd like.

This is stupid- look at all the threads on this forum regarding this topic. It's utterly ridiculous.

Heh. All you gotta say is Right Winger and you're already lost on it. Perhaps you should ask more questions about why the supposed "Right Wingers" feel the way they do. That way it might not seem so "ridiculous". Or at least you will understand where your opposition is coming from. That is the point of civil political discourse after all.

leekohler2
09-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Well I can't really answer that question because I'm not a part of such an organization nor would we have such public events.

I know I could. it would not be a big deal. But I'm not sure what kind of event that would be.

Agent Zero
10-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Exactly.

It sure is a huuuge deflection from Russia, isn't it?

Captain Obvious
10-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Deflection.... lawl

The only ones talking about Russia are the bottom feeding dreamers. The rest of the world moved on a long time ago.

hanger4
10-01-2017, 06:41 PM

We figured you needed one since it hasn't been going to well for ya on that 'somebody colluded' thingy. :rollseyes:

Captdon
10-02-2017, 02:20 PM
With all that's going on in this world this nimrod is hung up on that NFL bull$#@!.

Yea, he doesn't have a free moment to say what he wants.

Captdon
10-02-2017, 02:24 PM
There are so many more important issues than football, football players and their microaggressions. If what is happening with NFL player protests rises to the same importance as the potential for war with NK and the terrifying perspective of major nations facing off, there is something truly wrong with people's priorities and values. Sports is entertainment and fake patriotism sells seats. The sports industry is big business and uses every trick in the book to make a buck. What in the world does sports have to do with fallen soldiers, respecting them or disrespecting them? Players are not ersatz soldiers nor are they paying homage to the sacrifices of soldiers. Players are required by their corporate owners to play the game, not just on the field or court, but through charity and any other venue that will promote the success of the franchise. To think that there is any more to it than gratuitous pandering to nationalism to make a buck is beyond naive. The franchise owners/operators have the souls and emotional depth of lizards.

You seem to forget the players started this. I'm reacting to them. I have that right. If they disrespect my anthem and flag I don't watch them perform. It's as simple as that.

Captdon
10-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Exactly.

What hysteria? All we are saying is no respect and we don't watch.

Dr. Who
10-02-2017, 05:32 PM
You seem to forget the players started this. I'm reacting to them. I have that right. If they disrespect my anthem and flag I don't watch them perform. It's as simple as that.
That's your prerogative, but let's not pretend that not standing for the anthem is more than a protest about social inequities or that it signifies any disrespect for soldiers. There are many former members of the military who now have major issues with the national government and question its legitimacy. However, from the point of view of those issues that literally threaten to kill many people in the short term, as in the recent spate of hurricanes or in terms of the deteriorating situation with North Korea, the leader of the nation needs to be seen as focusing on his job.