PDA

View Full Version : "Supporting the troops"?

Chloe
11-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I am not 100% sure of how to word this question but I was thinking about it and so here it is. Is it possible to "support the troops" as everyone says to do but at the same time have no support really at all with what their actual job or purpose is for? For example it's considered patriotic to be "for the troops" but most people disagree with the idea of killing someone else or going to war. For me I don't dislike soldiers but I think that their actual purpose is pretty horrible. I like the humanitarian things that they do like building schools and providing water and food for people but really the main reason they exist is for the purpose of having to kill someone in defense of something or just under orders to attack and kill. I also understand that without a military you could be invaded or have something bad happen, but it just seems that the only reason they exist in that case then is so that they can eventually fight each other since both sides have soldiers. I could be over thinking it which I tend to do sometimes but it never hurts to ask.

Chloe
11-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I'll be back in a little bit though. Time to go for a wet and rainy run.

Peter1469
11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
A military exists to defend the citizens and sometimes that requires them to kill people and break things. I understand that in history a small minority of people believed this to be unjust in all circumstances. The majority, however, see justice in the popper allocation of force.

A current example. I believe it was right for the US to invade Afghanistan after 9-11 to do two things: to punish the Taliban for refusing to turn over al Qaeda, and to eliminate al Qaeda's ability to operate out of Afghanistan. That was essentially achieved by 2004-05. Most Afghans agreed with that position. What they hated, and what I saw as immoral was the mission creep to occupation.

That is where I would have drawn the line when applying the question of morality to the use of military force in Afghanistan.

Carygrant
11-20-2012, 03:42 AM
I'll be back in a little bit though. Time to go for a wet and rainy run.

Giving us your toilet needs is termed too much info , over here .

Carygrant
11-20-2012, 03:46 AM
A military exists to defend the citizens and sometimes that requires them to kill people and break things. I understand that in history a small minority of people believed this to be unjust in all circumstances. The majority, however, see justice in the popper allocation of force.

A current example. I believe it was right for the US to invade Afghanistan after 9-11 to do two things: to punish the Taliban for refusing to turn over al Qaeda, and to eliminate al Qaeda's ability to operate out of Afghanistan. That was essentially achieved by 2004-05. Most Afghans agreed with that position. What they hated, and what I saw as immoral was the mission creep to occupation.

That is where I would have drawn the line when applying the question of morality to the use of military force in Afghanistan.

I can understand how a service man wants to defend his raison d'etre .
But your defence of the invasion of Afghanistan was unbelievable in 2001 and now is seen as hilarious by fast growing numbers .
The invasion was built on deliberate lies to a hysterical nation who wanted revenge for a great conjuring trick that had sent them over the top .

hanger4
11-20-2012, 07:36 AM
But your defence of the invasion of Afghanistan was unbelievable in 2001 and now is seen as hilarious by fast growing numbers .
The invasion was built on deliberate lies to a hysterical nation who wanted revenge for a great conjuring trick that had sent them over the top .

OH joy, a 9/11 truther that attempts to write in verse.

patrickt
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
I can understand the liberal position of waiting for Hitler to release the Jews from the death camps. Sometimes a war is necessary and has benefits despite the horror. Did the Civil War in the U.S. hasten the end of slavery? I suspect it did. Did WWII free surviving Jews from the death camps? They certainly did.

Many people around the world are thankful to the U.S. military. U.S. citizens on the left aren't and won't.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Yes, my position is not based on Truthers' theories.