PDA

View Full Version : US Presidents that were possibly psychopaths

Adelaide
09-28-2017, 09:28 PM
According to research (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22823288), Teddy Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton all possessed psychopathic characteristics.

Scott Lilienfeld, professor of psychology at Emory University, led a study that assessed the personalities and rated the performances of US presidents. Ultimately, the research revealed presidents were more successful when they possessed fearless dominance (http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/11/psychopathic-traits-what-successful-presidents-have-in-common/), a quality frequently attributed to psychopaths...

Simply put, psychopaths are intrepid and audacious individuals who keep calm under pressure, qualities imperative to impactful leadership.

Correspondingly, there's evidence psychopaths can be fundamentally heroic (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/unique-everybody-else/201409/what-do-heroes-and-psychopaths-have-in-common). Their impulsivity makes them less hesitant to take risks in dangerous situations.

People with traits of Psychopaths actually make the best leaders. (http://elitedaily.com/life/motivation/psychopaths-make-the-best-leaders/1108247/)

Have been doing some reading for one of my courses, and this popped up. Figured I should post it.

I realize most people are not going to read the article, overreact, and/or not take the time to understand the characteristics of a psychopath. If you want to know the characteristics about psychopaths, Google "Hare PCL-R". Hare is the leading expert who literally wrote the book on how to find, classify and rate psychopaths. He started in a prison setting and then expanded his research.

Psychopaths that become well adjusted and are able to overcome or compensate for the very negative aspects of their personality disorder can tap into other characteristics that make them ideal politicians, surgeons, businessmen, and so on. Since 1-2% of the population are psychopaths, it is not instantly a marker of criminality. They may not care about rules and laws, but they are smarter than your average bear. They are almost unrealistically and ruthlessly ambitious.

Kind of interesting to look at people in history with a different lens.

Crepitus
09-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Psychopaths are not automatically criminals. We can function normally in society. You probably know one or two and never suspect it. We do well in professions where tough, quick decisions need to be made dispassionately and tend to gravitate to the top in those professions. Many ceos are psychopaths. Also lawyers and police. Look it up folks, while some serial killers are psychopaths, most psychopaths aren't serial killers.

Adelaide
09-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Psychopaths are not automatically criminals. We can function normally in society. You probably know one or two and never suspect it. We do well in professions where tough, quick decisions need to be made dispassionately and tend to gravitate to the top in those professions. Many ceos are psychopaths. Also lawyers and police. Look it up folks, while some serial killers are psychopaths, most psychopaths aren't serial killers.

Criminality is only one factor on the rating system. But, they often get away with it depending on how functional they are. Psychopaths interviewed in prison, when covered by doctor-patient confidentiality, readily admit that they got away with worse on a lot of occasions and only got caught with the crime they were imprisoned for. That's something that makes psychopaths "scary" - they can get away with it, because they are smart, charming, so on.

But yes, most people wouldn't even notice if someone were a psychopath. Most psychopaths don't know they are psychopaths.

The Xl
09-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Isn't a lack of a conscience and inability to feel empathy characteristics of a psychopath? If so, I don't feel that Kennedy belongs on that list, not before some other unnamed presidents anyway.

jimmyz
09-28-2017, 11:44 PM
People with traits of Psychopaths actually make the best leaders. (http://elitedaily.com/life/motivation/psychopaths-make-the-best-leaders/1108247/)

Have been doing some reading for one of my courses, and this popped up. Figured I should post it.

I realize most people are not going to read the article, overreact, and/or not take the time to understand the characteristics of a psychopath. If you want to know the characteristics about psychopaths, Google "Hare PCL-R". Hare is the leading expert who literally wrote the book on how to find, classify and rate psychopaths. He started in a prison setting and then expanded his research.

Psychopaths that become well adjusted and are able to overcome or compensate for the very negative aspects of their personality disorder can tap into other characteristics that make them ideal politicians, surgeons, businessmen, and so on. Since 1-2% of the population are psychopaths, it is not instantly a marker of criminality. They may not care about rules and laws, but they are smarter than your average bear. They are almost unrealistically and ruthlessly ambitious.

Would not your OP derive more honest debate if you had NOT attacked US American Presidents as quote unquote psychopaths . I am not a fan of an American political discussion board being Moderated and issued OPs by a Canadian (you) criticizing my country.

Can we have a town hall about Moderator assignments (especially about foreign country members being Moderators) please.

Adelaide
09-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Isn't a lack of a conscience and inability to feel empathy characteristics of a psychopath? If so, I don't feel that Kennedy belongs on that list, not before some other unnamed presidents anyway.
Yes, but psychopaths can fake it really well sometimes because of their charm and charisma. Kennedy was definitely one of the most charismatic presidents in the last 100 years.

Adelaide
09-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Would not your OP derive more honest debate if you had NOT attacked US American Presidents as quote unquote psychopaths . I am not a fan of an American political discussion board being Moderated and issued OPs by a Canadian (you) criticizing my country.

Can we have a town hall about Moderator assignments (especially about foreign country members being Moderators) please.

It's not a criticism. I am sure that every country has had leaders who had the traits of a psychopath. It is useful in leadership positions. I elected to post it because I came across it and this forum mainly discusses US politics, although international discussion and members are encouraged. An interesting discussion can be had on the topic.

jimmyz
09-28-2017, 11:51 PM
I proffer the idea that non-US citizens should hold NO AUTHORITY on tPF. That means we need two Canadian mods removed.

Adelaide
09-28-2017, 11:54 PM
I proffer the idea that non-US citizens should hold NO AUTHORITY on tPF. That means we need two Canadian mods removed.

Noted.

Not the topic.

jimmyz
09-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Noted.

Not the topic.

With little font and voice.... It seems like a personal attack on you both. For real.... we love you guys and dont know why you dont love us back a hundred percent of what we tell you to love...:embarrassed:

Green Arrow
09-29-2017, 12:06 AM

Cut the crap, jimmy. Adelaide has not attacked you personally, you need to stop attacking her personally. Debate her points or move on to another thread.

jimmyz
09-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Cut the crap, jimmy. Adelaide has not attacked you personally, you need to stop attacking her personally. Debate her points or move on to another thread.

Being a Moderator gives you leeway that you might not derive in the real world doesn't it . I will accept your criticism and leave the thread. Win for you? Feel proud in my acquiescence.

Common
09-29-2017, 01:08 AM
Throughout the article they use the word "may" Im not to keen on opinions about the mind.

There are untold number of bodies that weve never put a killer too, theres alot of psychos out there that have never been caught.

Refugee
09-29-2017, 02:06 AM
Yes, Hare is the definitive authority, but as my old Prof’ said, it’s hard to explain, but you’ll know one when you see one. We all have a bit of psychopathy in us, it’s needed for survival. Every politician would need a higher degree just to get to the position they’re in – many toes trampled on; criminals, business people … sometimes in reasonable doses it can even be an advantage.

donttread
09-29-2017, 03:47 PM

True sociopaths are rare, but then again we do tend to elect those most willing to do anything for the power

Ransom
09-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Criminality is only one factor on the rating system. But, they often get away with it depending on how functional they are. Psychopaths interviewed in prison, when covered by doctor-patient confidentiality, readily admit that they got away with worse on a lot of occasions and only got caught with the crime they were imprisoned for. That's something that makes psychopaths "scary" - they can get away with it, because they are smart, charming, so on.

But yes, most people wouldn't even notice if someone were a psychopath. Most psychopaths don't know they are psychopaths.

So like....you could be one?

donttread
09-30-2017, 08:06 AM

Basically they possess almost no empathy for others. All others are simply tools to them. To be used., cast away and destroyed as needed but not without some sick logic or reason. OMG, they do sound like politicians don't they?

wolfstrike
10-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Andrew Jackson had to be nuts.

when he wasn't killing the British he was killing Indians,
when he wasn't killing Indians he was dueling people in the street.

when he became president he had bullets in his body

gamewell45
10-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Something people here might be interested in; having worked in the broadcasting field for 36+ years, one thing I learned was that the most creative people were those who were neurotic; for some reason they were the ones who did graphic design work, writing, Set design, Advertising & Promotion, Radio Disc Jockey's, etc. Very talented people, just a little neurotic is all. :)

Adelaide
10-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Sure. Highly unlikely given personality traits I have, but anything is possible.

Why? Do you think I am?

Adelaide
10-05-2017, 09:55 AM
Something people here might be interested in; having worked in the broadcasting field for 36+ years, one thing I learned was that the most creative people were those who were neurotic; for some reason they were the ones who did graphic design work, writing, Set design, Advertising & Promotion, Radio Disc Jockey's, etc. Very talented people, just a little neurotic is all. :)

I score on the higher end of neuroticism on personality testing, mainly due to anxiety and worry. Being artistic is supposed to be an outlet for those high in neuroticism, but I am not artistic, haha.