PDA

View Full Version : tPF What Democrats Must Do

Green Arrow
09-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Via Jacobin (https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/09/democratic-party-2016-election-working-class):

Even before Donald Trump’s shocking victory last November, the press had already written the story of his rise. Despite studies showing that, like all Republican candidates, well-off whites formed the core of Trump’s support, pundits zeroed in on his white working-class backers, which most commentators defined solely in terms of education (whites without a college degree).

This dividing line ignored other crucial variables — such as income, self-identification, and occupation — but it fit with the popular belief that, from the office cubicle to the voting both, the postindustrial “New Economy” separated the intelligent from the ignorant in a virtuous meritocracy.

By the time Hillary Clinton conceded to Trump, non-college whites had become conflated with both the working class and racism itself. The Trump campaign, as one pundit argued, “laid bare the racial animus within the white working class and the Republican Party.”

While frequently wrongheaded, the outsized attention paid to the white working class wasn’t surprising.

For decades, Democratic defeats have been explained through the behavior of the working-class voters that formed the core of the party’s support in its post–Great Depression heyday. And for as long as the working class has been central to the Democratic Party, the working class has been presumed to be white.

But this singular focus on the white working class — rather than the working class as a whole, in all its hues — has (perhaps unintentionally) aided and abetted neoliberalism’s ascension in the Democratic Party. The fate of workers has been lost in the shuffle, undermining both the material wellbeing and the morale of what should be the party’s voting base.

Nearly a year after the electoral catastrophe, Democratic elites still show few signs they’ve learned the right post-election lessons. Hillary Clinton’s new book blasts Bernie Sanders for offering “free ponies” instead of hardheaded policy.

And last month, Will Marshall, one of the cofounders of the Democratic Leadership Council — the preeminent group of neoliberal Democrats in the 1980s and ’90s — joined with other centrist Democrats to form New Democracy, a group that once again aims to stanch the electoral bleeding among working-class whites and further court well-off whites by steering the party right —away from the “distraction,” as Marshall put it, of progressive policies like single-payer health care.

By focusing on the role of white voters in Clinton’s defeat, rather than the failure of the Democrats’ neoliberal strategy, liberal pundits and party leaders are drawing the wrong conclusions from Trump’s victory. Instead of debating how to win white workers or doubling down on the misguided strategy of courting upscale whites, Democrats must train their attention on the needs of the working class as a whole.

It's definitely clear that Democrats are still trying to learn their lesson from 2016's defeat. Clinton, their terrible standard-bearer, has learned nothing, but the party itself is at least trying to take steps to once again become the progressive party they once were. They still have a long way to go, however, and while they've made some good changes in the right direction, they are still making their entire identity out of resistance to Trump rather than a clear agenda. They need to remind the working class - all of it - that they have always been the historic party of the working class and can be again.

So far, though, I don't think that's likely to happen. Not until they lose some more.

Mister D
09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
The Democrats will have an extremely difficult time disentangling themselves from so called "identity politics". They've nurtured it for decades and there now exist a variety of vested, if sometimes incompatible, interests. Good luck.

Common
10-01-2017, 04:05 AM
Via Jacobin (https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/09/democratic-party-2016-election-working-class):

It's definitely clear that Democrats are still trying to learn their lesson from 2016's defeat. Clinton, their terrible standard-bearer, has learned nothing, but the party itself is at least trying to take steps to once again become the progressive party they once were. They still have a long way to go, however, and while they've made some good changes in the right direction, they are still making their entire identity out of resistance to Trump rather than a clear agenda. They need to remind the working class - all of it - that they have always been the historic party of the working class and can be again.

So far, though, I don't think that's likely to happen. Not until they lose some more.

Some history, Clinton started the dismantling of working class support for the democrat party shoving nafta through. Every Union leader begged him not too and told him it would cost untold number of jobs, he did it anyway.

Then obama finished it off for the working class, Obama never mentioned the working class for 8 yrs. He did nothing for them but try to pass another south american trade bill that once again the Unions were against. The working class was driven out of the democrat party by neglect being ignored and the perception of being Vilified by a very racist Obama administration.

The working class is NOT all white, there are many black people in civil service jobs, first responders, school teachers, factory workers, and tons of hispanics. There comes a point where they have to decide if being democrat and voting for it is worth their living.

The working class has been described in a variety of insulting ways by the left. Rednecks, nazis, uneducated etc. Then the constant never ending badgering of being called racists every time a liberal or democrat opens their mouth.

The social lunacy of the progressive left was the final straw of the Obama Admin for the working class. Transexuals in womens bathrooms while ignoring the millions out of work was one example that drove them even further right.

I could go on but Ill end with this statement, the democrat party isnt getting back the working class any time soon, unless the republican party does something huge to screw them. As of right now today trump has made them solid. The left hates trump and rages everytime he farts, those that voted for him LOVE HIM FOR SAYING WHAT THEY THINK, like NFL players denigrating the flag and anthem are douchebags. The left hates and his voters believe hes doing what they elected him to do.

Tahuyaman
10-01-2017, 10:03 AM
The problem with the Democratic Party is that they've gone too far to the left. They have tried to attract and unify every far left fringe element in American society. Now they are stuck with the results of that.

Captdon
10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
I haven't seen any change in the Democratic Party. I haven't seen the Democratic Party. They don't have any message worth telling much less listening to. Clinton was their perfect candidate. She did represent the Democratic Party perfectly.

What she represented didn't suit the America we are. They aren't going to win. They've been losing, except for Obama, for years.

The Xl
10-01-2017, 11:07 AM
The Dems will continue to lose as long as they're openly proxies for millionaires and billionaires who push racial politics and division.

nic34
10-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Heck, they still havent learned from 2 terms of Reagan and 2 Bushes.... ya gotta hit bottom before you can rise to the top. Ask the Goldwater supporters.....

nic34
10-01-2017, 11:13 AM
The Dems will continue to lose as long as they're openly proxies for millionaires and billionaires who push racial politics and division.
Excuse me that's Trump and his clan... duh

Peter1469
10-01-2017, 01:20 PM
The Democrats will have an extremely difficult time disentangling themselves from so called "identity politics". They've nurtured it for decades and there now exist a variety of vested, if sometimes incompatible, interests. Good luck.

That is their biggest problems.

I have heard there is a movement in leadership to return to issues that they use to win on- supporting the working and middle class.

I am not sure moving more progressive will get them a national coalition needed to win the EC.

The Xl
10-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Excuse me that's Trump and his clan... duh
It can be both. Trumps doing his own thing anyway, he's working for his own interests.

NapRover
10-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I haven't seen any change in the Democratic Party. I haven't seen the Democratic Party. They don't have any message worth telling much less listening to. Clinton was their perfect candidate. She did represent the Democratic Party perfectly.

What she represented didn't suit the America we are. They aren't going to win. They've been losing, except for Obama, for years.

Agree. It's not clear that they're trying to learn anything. They're doubling down on they would have won were it not for the russians; dumb-ass rednecks voted in Trump; ban electoral college; must have a woman next time; step up the protests, blah, blah, blah

Common
10-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Heck, they still havent learned from 2 terms of Reagan and 2 Bushes.... ya gotta hit bottom before you can rise to the top. Ask the Goldwater supporters.....

Thats the whole point you havent hit bottom, antifa blm and maxine waters have lower to go. Plus bernie will draw you even more left

Tahuyaman
10-01-2017, 06:00 PM
That is their biggest problems.

I have heard there is a movement in leadership to return to issues that they use to win on- supporting the working and middle class.

I am not sure moving more progressive will get them a national coalition needed to win the EC.

They can't return to those policies. That's no longer their base of support. If they reject their current base, they will be on the outside looking in for another generation or more.