PDA

View Full Version : Well a frost last night

donttread
10-01-2017, 08:35 AM
I'm going out to the garden shortly but I don't have much in the way of frost intolerant plants left. My brassicas will shake this off like a lab shakes water off. I may have to harvest the last zuccinis before their time , but that should be about it.
Now for the tear down. Good exercise for an old man since I do it by hand.

Peter1469
10-01-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm going out to the garden shortly but I don't have much in the way of frost intolerant plants left. My brassicas will shake this off like a lab shakes water off. I may have to harvest the last zuccinis before their time , but that should be about it.

You may get snow soon.

rcfieldz
10-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Last chance to fart in the garden.

donttread
10-01-2017, 10:33 AM
You may get snow soon.

Some years we have by now, usually not the stick around for days kind though. As I suspected the only thinged nipped were the zuccinni so I took another 15 or so partially developed fruit ( which was fine, the plant had wilted) and brought in a basket my good wife will magically transform into some kick ass Zuccini bread. The cabbages and lone remaining Brocchali are fine as are the herbs, but I started a slow tear down
Hacked the stalks of my Jeruselem Artichokes down leaving a foot or so sticking up so I can find the tubers later.

Garden you did a great job this year!

Mister D
10-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Funny you mention it. I was just telling my tenant yesterday that I better grab some new containers and harvest the rest of the chilis and cherry tomatoes before there is a frost. Next week will see high around 80 but I want to get this done before I get caught napping.

Mister D
10-01-2017, 10:39 AM
I now have some red serranos. Never had one before. I wonder if they are hotter.

Common
10-01-2017, 10:47 AM
A good thing about florida is growers only have to worry for a very short window, if we get frost its for a day but its enough to kill non frost resistant crops which is most of them in fla.

What they do here is soak the crops and its supposed to protect the crops. Dont know if that works in jersey or where dont know is frm

donttread
10-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Funny you mention it. I was just telling my tenant yesterday that I better grab some new containers and harvest the rest of the chilis and cherry tomatoes before there is a frost. Next week will see high around 80 but I want to get this done before I get caught napping.

Exactly, you can always leave unripe on the vine, so to speak and hope. But growth rates slow this time of year frost or no frost

donttread
10-01-2017, 11:47 AM
A good thing about florida is growers only have to worry for a very short window, if we get frost its for a day but its enough to kill non frost resistant crops which is most of them in fla.

What they do here is soak the crops and its supposed to protect the crops. Dont know if that works in jersey or where dont know is frm

Probably depends on how hard the frost is as to whether that trick will work elese where or not.

Mister D
10-01-2017, 12:13 PM
I must have over 40 peppers in the fridge now. I'm going to look at a few hot sauce and salsa recipes tomorrow.

donttread
10-02-2017, 08:42 PM
I must have over 40 peppers in the fridge now. I'm going to look at a few hot sauce and salsa recipes tomorrow.

Damn! I hope they ar not all hot or that your stomach is ready for that!

resister
10-02-2017, 09:05 PM

My pal lost his balance and snapped off half his reefer plant, shame!

gamewell45
10-02-2017, 09:31 PM

The deer took care of my tomato plants for me this year; they ate the buds off of the plants; had nice tall, good looking plants but no tomato's whatsoever. All that weeding for nothing. :(

Mister D
10-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Damn! I hope they ar not all hot or that your stomach is ready for that!
All hot ones. The jalaepnos aren't bad though. I can eat those raw with a piece of meat or in eggs.

DGUtley
10-03-2017, 08:15 AM
Is it now safe to go in and cull poison ivy?

donttread
10-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Last chance to fart in the garden.

It's supposed to be "fart around in the garden" but I won't deny your charges!

donttread
10-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Is it now safe to go in and cull poison ivy?

Don't know we don't have a great deal of it here. If we do I might be immune which is unlikely as my father was severly allergic ro it. But I've spent a lot of time in the woods, some of it in shorts and never reacted. I can tell you however that stinging nettles are aptly named! Anyway disturbing it can be problematic so ask someone who does know, maybe cooperative extension.

donttread
10-03-2017, 08:25 AM
All hot ones. The jalaepnos aren't bad though. I can eat those raw with a piece of meat or in eggs.

Wow. Now there's a man! Remind me not to argue with you so much on other topics! Are some of your varieties even hotter than the jalapepnos? I did grow a few of them once and that was more than enough for my taste.

donttread
10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
The deer took care of my tomato plants for me this year; they ate the buds off of the plants; had nice tall, good looking plants but no tomato's whatsoever. All that weeding for nothing. :(

Are you going to fense the garden in next year?

Mister D
10-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Wow. Now there's a man! Remind me not to argue with you so much on other topics! Are some of your varieties even hotter than the jalapepnos? I did grow a few of them once and that was more than enough for my taste.
See, that's the problem. The Serrano plants produced at least 60 peppers so far and they just keep growing. I didn't expect a crop like this. They are too hot to use outside of chilis, soups and stews. I'm only planting one next year. Jalapeos are twice the size of Serranos so the fruit is a little more limited.

gamewell45
10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Are you going to fense the garden in next year?

Most likely; it'll have to be something tall since the deer can jump over low fences and that defeats the whole purpose of having a fence.

Mister D
10-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Most likely; it'll have to be something tall since the deer can jump over low fences and that defeats the whole purpose of having a fence.
I'm going to have to protect my peach tree somehow. It's in the front yard though so whatever I do will have to look presentable.

donttread
10-03-2017, 11:00 AM
See, that's the problem. The Serrano plants produced at least 60 peppers so far and they just keep growing. I didn't expect a crop like this. They are too hot to use outside of chilis, soups and stews. I'm only planting one next year. Jalapeos are twice the size of Serranos so the fruit is a little more limited.

Yeah, I think I only got 2-3 the year I grew a jalapenos plant. You'll be putting up a lot of chili. That's alright it's a long winter and Chili is great winter food.

donttread
10-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Right, I don't know how high they have to be , but I've seen deer do some amazing stuff so I'm guessing 6 feet or more

Mister D
10-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I think I only got 2-3 the year I grew a jalapenos plant. You'll be putting up a lot of chili. That's alright it's a long winter and Chili is great winter food.
I think I'll get about 10 jalapenos out of each plant. I'm going to make my own hot sauce this weekend.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/jalapeno-serrano-hot-sauce.html

Simple. Chilis, vineger, salt. The end.

Peter1469
10-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Isn't it good to heat them up lightly, like with tomatoes?

Peter1469
10-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Don't know we don't have a great deal of it here. If we do I might be immune which is unlikely as my father was severly allergic ro it. But I've spent a lot of time in the woods, some of it in shorts and never reacted. I can tell you however that stinging nettles are aptly named! Anyway disturbing it can be problematic so ask someone who does know, maybe cooperative extension.

I never noticed poison ivy when I was in Upstate NY.

Down south is another issue. It is all over.

Mister D
10-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Isn't it good to heat them up lightly, like with tomatoes?
I almost always cook chilis before consuming them but jalapenos are mild enough that I can eat them raw. Having a few slices of jalapeno with a steak, for example, is great. They're great when used sparingly in pickled vegetables too. My friend goes to a Hungarian deli once in a while and the guy there sometimes ads jalapeno to the pickled cabbage, carrots and so on. Delicious.

Mister D
10-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Looking forward to this hot sauce. It's pretty simple. I printed three recipes and I'll decide which one I'll try first. All I need is a glass jar.

Peter1469
10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Looking forward to this hot sauce. It's pretty simple. I printed three recipes and I'll decide which one I'll try first. All I need is a glass jar.

Get some old mason jars.

Mister D
10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Get some old mason jars.
Yeah, I'm looking for that sort of thing.

Peter1469
10-03-2017, 07:41 PM

Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quart-Jar-Wide-Mouth/dp/B00CNHCDR6/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1507077641&sr=1-3&keywords=mason+jars). Do you have prime?

Mister D
10-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quart-Jar-Wide-Mouth/dp/B00CNHCDR6/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1507077641&sr=1-3&keywords=mason+jars). Do you have prime?
Nah. Was thinking about it. I have an Amazon Mastercard that I get 3X the points for Amazon purchaes

Peter1469
10-03-2017, 07:50 PM
Nah. Was thinking about it. I have an Amazon Mastercard that I get 3X the points for Amazon purchaes

I wish I got Primer earlier. I use to buy stuff I didn't need just to get to the free shipping limit.

Mister D
10-03-2017, 07:54 PM
I wish I got Primer earlier. I use to buy stuff I didn't need just to get to the free shipping limit.
I usually waited until I had enough in my cart to qualify. I hate that new add on rule. I used to buy tea infusers when I needed them but now you can't unless you add it on to a larger order. In America, you can't just walk to the market and grab a tea infuser. :rollseyes:

Kacper
10-03-2017, 10:16 PM

Look at Walmart or dollar stores. They often will have stuff like that on close out to make room for Christmas junk.

jigglepete
10-06-2017, 02:42 PM

Look into a product called Deer-X, a run measures 7X100 ft. and retails for about 34$

It is a soft fencing and can be utilized in many ways to protect your edibles (or smokables as warranted :) )