PDA

View Full Version : Sell birth control without prescription

Adelaide
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
(CNN) -- In the future, women may be able to buy birth control pills alongside ibuprofen and cough drops if the recommendation of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is adopted.
The group is recommending that oral contraceptives be sold over the counter without a prescription in an effort to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies in the United States.

Approximately 50% of all pregnancies are unplanned, a rate that hasn't changed much in the past 20 years, according to the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit organization dedicated to reproductive health research. Women in their 20s are most at risk.

"Access and cost issues are common reasons why women either do not use contraception use or have gaps in use," according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Many developed countries still require a prescription for oral contraceptives, including Canada and most of Europe, but many other countries (http://ocsotc.org/wp-content/uploads/worldmap/worldmap.html) sell the pill without a prescription even formally or informally.

Physicians: Birth control should be sold without prescription - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/20/health/birth-control-over-the-counter/index.html?hpt=he_c2)

I fully support making it available without a prescription and think it could significantly lower the rate of unintended pregnancy. I also think it should be available to any woman over the age of 14 without parental consent, but I'm probably a bit of a radical in that department.

What do you think?

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Physicians: Birth control should be sold without prescription - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/20/health/birth-control-over-the-counter/index.html?hpt=he_c2)

I fully support making it available without a prescription and think it could significantly lower the rate of unintended pregnancy. I also think it should be available to any woman over the age of 14 without parental consent, but I'm probably a bit of a radical in that department.

What do you think?

I vaguely remember girlfriends having to get their birth control pills adjusted because one size doesn't fit all.....

Also, once it is OTC, insurance doesn't cover it. Watch out, Sandra Fluke (pronounced Fluck) is going to be protesting you over your stance. Marching around in a circle, chanting, and whatnot.

roadmaster
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
You are correct, one size doesn't fit all but I was on the pill when I got pregnant and no I didn't miss any. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. But then again I had been married for almost 5 years but was surprised.

Mister D
11-20-2012, 09:48 PM
14? The world does suck, Adelaide. It really does.

Adelaide
11-20-2012, 10:00 PM
14? The world does suck, Adelaide. It really does.

Some/many young people are going to have sex no matter how hard you try to push abstinence. There are also many advantages to taking birth control for women, and for teenage girls it might meaning have less painful periods, regularly timed periods, and a way of dealing with acne, (to name a few good, non-sex related reasons why someone as young as 14 might take the pill). Having it available and confidentially would likely mean a whole lot less cases of teen pregnancy.

Maybe we need to start a poll about when everyone lost their virginity. It's not that uncommon for it to happen in highschool. Better to be prepared.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Some/many young people are going to have sex no matter how hard you try to push abstinence. There are also many advantages to taking birth control for women, and for teenage girls it might meaning have less painful periods, regularly timed periods, and a way of dealing with acne, (to name a few good, non-sex related reasons why someone as young as 14 might take the pill). Having it available and confidentially would likely mean a whole lot less cases of teen pregnancy.

Maybe we need to start a poll about when everyone lost their virginity. It's not that uncommon for it to happen in highschool. Better to be prepared.

19 for me. I graduated high school at 17.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2012, 10:17 PM
well. I think it is something that parents need to instill in their kids...especially the daddies talking to their little girls. Grandparents get involved to. You don't sell yourself so cheap. Your body is God's temple. You need to respect that. Can we get back to some kind of moral high ground....not for all the population...they're lost. But i can work on my grandkids, harder than i worked on my kids. Maybe in some small way, when your kid visits at my house, I can put the idea of abstinence in her too instead of the school influenced attitude that she's some little radical leftists sperm receptacle. :wink: I'm gonna try.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
well. I think it is something that parents need to instill in their kids...especially the daddies talking to their little girls. Grandparents get involved to. You don't sell yourself so cheap. Your body is God's temple. You need to respect that. Can we get back to some kind of moral high ground....not for all the population...they're lost. But i can work on my grandkids, harder than i worked on my kids. Maybe in some small way, when your kid visits at my house, I can put the idea of abstinence in her too instead of the school influenced attitude that she's some little radical leftists sperm receptacle. :wink: I'm gonna try.

Good luck. :shocked:

Adelaide
11-20-2012, 10:22 PM

So basically, you're perfectly fine trying to indoctrinate children that aren't yours... Man, that's hilarious in a sad kind of way.

Adelaide
19 for me. I graduated high school at 17.

Technically I was 14.

roadmaster
Almost 21 for me and I also graduated at 17. I wouldn't hardly look at a boy at the age of 14.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Technically I was 14.

What does technically 14 mean?

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Almost 21 for me and I also graduated at 17. I wouldn't hardly look at a boy at the age of 14.

Why is that?

Calypso Jones
11-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Good luck. :shocked:

thanks. I am going to give it my best shot.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
So basically, you're perfectly fine trying to indoctrinate children that aren't yours... Man, that's hilarious in a sad kind of way.

I got it from the left. Turnabout is fair play.

She'll never know what hit her. I think i can pretty much out smart a pre-teen.

Peter1469
thanks. I am going to give it my best shot.

Plan for your reaction just in case your best shot falls short. Just in case.

roadmaster
Why is that?

I was into sports and had a life. Didn't really start liking them until around 16.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Plan for your reaction just in case your best shot falls short. Just in case.

don't be so pessimistic.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
What does technically 14 mean?

Wait, that means, IMO, that non-vagina sex was prior to 14..... :shocked:

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:34 PM
don't be so pessimistic.

I will try. I think that our economic condition has dragged me into pessimism.

Calypso Jones
11-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Maybe we should start a topic on how to raise girls and boys.

Adelaide
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Wait, that means, IMO, that non-vagina sex was prior to 14..... :shocked:

Actually, no. It just meant I didn't get much of a choice in the matter.

Adelaide
11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I got it from the left. Turnabout is fair play.

She'll never know what hit her. I think i can pretty much out smart a pre-teen.

Providing education isn't the same thing as encouraging teenagers to have sex. The fact is, teen pregnancy rates are lower where safe sex is taught as compared to teaching abstinence only.

It's also extremely hypocritical to say schools shouldn't teach someone's children about sex and then turn around and proudly say you'll teach someone else's child about sex.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Actually, no. It just meant I didn't get much of a choice in the matter.

Foot in mouth. I apologize. I am sorry.

roadmaster
11-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I waited until I was married.

Peter1469
11-20-2012, 10:55 PM
I waited until I was married.

I didn't get married until I was 34. I also don't buy running shoes without trying them on first.

roadmaster
11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I didn't get married until I was 34. I also don't buy running shoes without trying them on first.

LOl be glad I wasn't the one running with you. Wouldn't happen.

Calypso Jones
11-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Providing education isn't the same thing as encouraging teenagers to have sex. The fact is, teen pregnancy rates are lower where safe sex is taught as compared to teaching abstinence only.

It's also extremely hypocritical to say schools shouldn't teach someone's children about sex and then turn around and proudly say you'll teach someone else's child about sex.

live with it.