PDA

View Full Version : Trump Says He'll Sign Order To Expand Health Insurance Options

Captain Obvious
10-10-2017, 07:25 PM
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/10/10/556841453/trump-says-hell-sign-order-to-expand-health-insurance-options

President Trump is poised to sign an executive order that he says will make it easier for people to join together as a group and buy health insurance from any state.

The president tweeted (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/917698839846576130) about his plans on Tuesday morning.

"Since Congress can't get its act together on HealthCare, I will be using the power of the pen to give great HealthCare to many people — FAST," he wrote.

The order would direct government agencies with jurisdiction over health insurance to find ways to allow consumers and small businesses to create associations to buy health coverage, according to The Wall Street Journal, which cited (https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-executive-order-could-divide-the-health-insurance-market-1507508894)an unnamed Trump administration official.

Proponents of the move say that association health plans, which could be offered by trade groups, chambers of commerce or groups of small businesses, would not be bound by Affordable Care Act regulations that require insurance policies to cover everyone, no matter their health status, and to cover a specific set of benefits.

Since Congress can't get its act together on HealthCare, I will be using the power of the pen to give great HealthCare to many people - FAST

Peter1469
10-10-2017, 07:36 PM
As long as his EO is based on existing laws I am not opposed.

If he is trying to create a law that doesn't exist, like O, then I would be opposed.

MisterVeritis
10-10-2017, 08:02 PM
As long as his EO is based on existing laws I am not opposed.

If he is trying to create a law that doesn't exist, like O, then I would be opposed.
There are a couple of thousand places where the authority is held by the Secretary. The President needs to use every bit of that authority to completely wreck ACA and restore power to the market.

Crepitus
10-10-2017, 08:06 PM
It's already legal to sell insurance across state lines. Companies don't do it because different states have different standards to comply with.

http://jamiedupree.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/03/18/selling-health-insurance-across-state-lines-its-already-legal-under-obamacare/

Green Arrow
10-10-2017, 08:56 PM
DGUtley - is that legal?

Grokmaster
10-10-2017, 11:17 PM
It's already legal to sell insurance across state lines. Companies don't do it because different states have different standards to comply with.

http://jamiedupree.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/03/18/selling-health-insurance-across-state-lines-its-already-legal-under-obamacare/
Nonsense. Absolutely FORBIDDEN under Obamacare.

Green Arrow
10-10-2017, 11:26 PM

Blatantly false. It's right there in section 1333 of Obamacare.

Cthulhu
10-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Blatantly false. It's right there in section 1333 of Obamacare.Well, given the number of pages that bill was, and that those who didn't read it still passed it, I think we can allow for a little leeway on the ignorance of it.

That bill should never have been voted on, let alone made into law.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Green Arrow
10-10-2017, 11:36 PM
Well, given the number of pages that bill was, and that those who didn't read it still passed it, I think we can allow for a little leeway on the ignorance of it.

That bill should never have been voted on, let alone made into law.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Agree with the latter, disagree with the former. Five minutes or less on Google, "does Obamacare say x" or "does Obamacare allow/prohibit x" and you can be accurate in your claims about it without reading all 2000 something pages. There is no excuse for ignorance.

Captain Obvious
10-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Agree with the latter, disagree with the former. Five minutes or less on Google, "does Obamacare say x" or "does Obamacare allow/prohibit x" and you can be accurate in your claims about it without reading all 2000 something pages. There is no excuse for ignorance.

And that ability came how many years after it was passed?

Green Arrow
10-10-2017, 11:41 PM
And that ability came how many years after it was passed?

As far as I recall Google existed in 2009.

Captain Obvious
10-10-2017, 11:49 PM
As far as I recall Google existed in 2009.

So googling the act after it's passed gave one useful information?

Yeah... sure, legislators who admitted to not even reading the act and voting for it didn't know.

I thought you were smarter than that, honestly.

Green Arrow
10-10-2017, 11:52 PM
So googling the act after it's passed gave one useful information?

Yeah... sure, legislators who admitted to not even reading the act and voting for it didn't know.

I thought you were smarter than that, honestly.

I had intended to respond, but since you opted to insult me rather than listening to what I say, I've decided not to waste my time.

Good night.

Fredy
10-11-2017, 12:14 AM

No, it's not. It's always been allowed at the federal level. Most states don't allow it. i thought you Trump people were big on states' rights?

In any event, the reason it isn't done is that it's too expensive for the insurance companies.

The implication is that federal law prevents insurers from selling policies across state lines. That isn’t the case.
Between 2008 and 2012, five states — Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Rhode Island and Wyoming — passed laws specifically allowing out-of-state insurers not licensed in their states to sell health insurance policies within their borders.

Nevertheless, no insurers have taken advantage of the laws. That’s because entering an unfamiliar territory and creating a network of medical providers is exceedingly difficult and expensive, health policy analysts say.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2017/01/18/interstate-health-insurance-sounds-good-but-details-are-tricky

jimmyz
10-11-2017, 12:17 AM
If my premiums are reduced I would vote Vulcan Party next time.

jimmyz
10-11-2017, 12:20 AM
I had intended to respond, but since you opted to insult me rather than listening to what I say, I've decided not to waste my time.

Good night.
Have my thick skin overcoat. I have retired it and donated to a Utopian island niche that taxes me for owning it, see Doc Martin PBS series.

Common
10-11-2017, 03:34 AM
If you have insurance in florida and travel to las vegas you are covered in vegas, of course in varying degrees based on your policy.

Medicare you are covered in any state

Kacper
10-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Won't work. Out of state insurers won't have participating providers

Cannons Front
10-11-2017, 07:30 AM
Won't work. Out of state insurers won't have participating providers

It can work, I have multistate insurance, my plan is offered in many states. The big companies have the ability if there is a demand.

DGUtley
10-11-2017, 07:33 AM
I am generally against executive orders as I think that most of them that enact things (rather than strike former executive orders) tend to be unconstitutional. I prefer that the legislative branch legislate and the executive branch execute.

Crepitus
10-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Dude, it's right there in black and white.

Gotta pull your head outta the echo chamber once in a while for a reality check.

Crepitus
10-11-2017, 07:56 AM
It can work, I have multistate insurance, my plan is offered in many states. The big companies have the ability if there is a demand.

You have a plan that is offered across state lines?

That predates this executive order?

Say it ain't so!

barb012
10-11-2017, 10:19 AM
How is selling across state lines going to make a difference since premiums are rated by your zip code?

Captain Obvious
10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
How is selling across state lines going to make a difference since premiums are rated by your zip code?

Where did you get that from? Mister Veritus?

Kacper
10-11-2017, 11:40 AM

If you have a multistate insurer then it is already available and Trump's proposal does nothing. Participating provider networks are the crux of effective insurance.

Kalkin
10-11-2017, 11:45 AM
I'm loving watching the slow-motion trainwreck that is obamacare.

Peter1469
10-11-2017, 09:42 PM
EOs are needed. Most legislation is written broadly, and the legislature relies on the executive to get specific.

The problem is when the executive flat out ignores Congress and attempts to create law via EOs.

Chris
10-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Group healthcare is how it was done before the government and insurance companies colluded to fuck it up for everyone.

Chris
10-12-2017, 08:36 AM
I'll add the AMA also screwed us over.

Anyway, some on what people used to do:

Well, the interesting thing about all of them was there was no insurance company. So, I'll give you two examples. One example would be unions. Unions had a variety of different plans. They had some funds where they actually hired physicians on salary. And the union leaders would actually elect boards; and they would appoint a physician; and then the physicians would supply care for the union members. But, more common really, what you saw was unions contracting with physicians and hospitals. And they were very savvy. Union leaders really--they had a lot of expertise in health care and its arrangements. They were very savvy, very early on, in understanding such things as needing to have co-insurance and deductibles in place so that you didn't have one or two members, or certain members needlessly running up--attempting to tap into the fund if it wasn't necessary. You would even have some cases where a union fund leading might go with somebody to the doctor to make sure that they really were sick and not just shirking their responsibilities. So, they had a lot of understanding early on. And they are certainly were important all the way through the 20th century in the way the health care system develops, as far as being very important at the bargaining table for how the insurance company model ends up developing. But, another example that I found particularly compelling in my research was what was called the Prepaid Physician Group. And, pre-paid during this period was just a synonym for insurance, really--it was just a physician insurance group. And what was so interesting about these groups were two things. First of all, they were multi-specialty. So, you had, you know, when you say, 'Oh, physicians practiced in groups,' and people think, 'What's the big deal? Physicians practice in groups today.' But the groups they practice in today are single specialties. So, they are all general practitioners; or they are all orthopedists. During this period, what you had physicians wanting to do--and it makes so much sense--is, they wanted to have the surgeon, orthopedist, the general practitioner....

@ Christy Ford Chapin on the Evolution of the American Health Care System (http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2017/06/christy_ford_ch.html)

Captdon
10-12-2017, 10:49 AM
If you have a multistate insurer then it is already available and Trump's proposal does nothing. Participating provider networks are the crux of effective insurance.

If it is allowed more companies will do it. Simple economics.

Tahuyaman
10-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Trump Says He'll Sign Order To Expand Health Insurance Options
This is a great start. Trump is opening up the free market a bit. People with similar needs can band together and purchase policies tailored to their own needs. Plus competition is increased through allowing interstate competition.

Liberals will be be opposed because this will increase the speed in which the ACA falls apart. The faster that happens, the better.

Kacper
10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
If it is allowed more companies will do it. Simple economics.
Simplistic and naive. People will have insurance with no meaningful coverage. It takes decades to build up provider networks. Without them, the insured would be paying most of the cost out of their own pockets in addition to the premiums.

Tahuyaman
10-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Liberal opposition to things like this aren't based on policy differences. Their opposition is based only on opposition to Trump.

If Obama had done this after the ACA was passed and discovered that it wasn't everything it was supposed to be, the liberals would be in complete agreement with this. They would say that this proves that Obama is a great leader completely in tune with the needs of the American people.

Abby08
10-12-2017, 12:58 PM
Liberal opposition to things like this aren't based on policy differences. Their opposition is based only on opposition to Trump.

If Obama had done this after the ACA was passed and discovered that it wasn't everything it was supposed to be, the liberals would be in complete agreement with this. They would say that this proves that Obama is a great leader completely in tune with the needs of the American people.

Right on!

Tahuyaman
10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
The truth matters. No liberal here can refute my statement truthfully.

Green Arrow
10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Trump Says He'll Sign Order To Expand Health Insurance Options

This is a great start. Trump is opening up the free market a bit. People with similar needs can band together and purchase policies tailored to their own needs. Plus competition is increased through allowing interstate competition.

Liberals will be be opposed because this will increase the speed in which the ACA falls apart. The faster that happens, the better.

Trump's EO is grandstanding with no substance. The law already allows businesses to sell insurance across state lines.

Tahuyaman
10-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Trump's EO is grandstanding with no substance. The law already allows businesses to sell insurance across state lines.
Afain. You would love this if someone other than Trump came up with this.

Green Arrow
10-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Afain. You would love this if someone other than Trump came up with this.
No, I'd still think it was pointless grandstanding, because the law already allows it.

Tahuyaman
10-12-2017, 04:17 PM
No, I'd still think it was pointless grandstanding, because the law already allows it.

Its not grandstanding and it wasn't allowed until now, but you can believe what you want.

My point stands. There are many people who don't oppose Trump based on his policy Ideas. They oppose him just because they are repulsed by his personality.

If Sanders proposed this, you'd be his biggest cheerleader. Of course that will never be able to be proven becasue Sanders would never open doors to the free markets.

Green Arrow
10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Its not grandstanding and it wasn't allowed until now, but you can believe what you want.

My point stands. There are many people who don't oppose Trump based on his policy Ideas. They oppose him just because they are repulsed by his personality.

If Sanders proposed this, you'd be his biggest cheerleader. Of course that will never be able to be proven becasue Sanders would never open doors to the free markets.
LOL. You can believe what you want, but it has been allowed by section 1333 of Obamacare since 2009. That's just a fact, regardless of whether you accept it.

Bethere
10-12-2017, 04:57 PM

GA is right. Today, Trump signed something that could be better described as, the "What Obama said! " act.

Bethere
10-12-2017, 04:59 PM
LOL. You can believe what you want, but it has been allowed by section 1334 of Obamacare since 2009. That's just a fact, regardless of whether you accept it.

He gets the additional benefit of knowing in advance that the order itself is constitutional.

Peter1469
10-12-2017, 05:06 PM
LOL. You can believe what you want, but it has been allowed by section 1333 of Obamacare since 2009. That's just a fact, regardless of whether you accept it.
Do the regulations that implement O-care allow for it?