PDA

View Full Version : Reports

Hal Jordan
10-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Hello forum,
First, let me say that this isn't directed at any one poster or "side", but for the whole of the forum. There are plenty of instances from across the political spectrum.

Now, there are a couple of issues we would like to address regarding reports: threats and insulting moderation. When I say insulting moderation, I don't mean a report with the purpose of questioning a decision. There's no issue with that. If we were in the wrong in review, we would like to correct it.

A good analogy for reports would be taking a case to court. We have to judge the merit of the report against the laws (the rules), precedent, and other relevant factors. When you go to court, you want to put your best face forward. You put on a nice suit. You try to show the best sides of yourself. Do you show up saying you think the judge favors those charged with shoplifting over those charged with jaywalking? Do you accuse the judge of protecting certain defendants? Do you say to the judge the defendant can shoot a person in a city street with impunity? Do you tell the judge you think that they are the Devil incarnate? There is no immunity given in this court.

In the court scenario, there are other questions as well. Do you tell the judge that if he allows the defendant to get away with driving drunk, you'll start driving drunk? Do you say that if they don't take a hard stance against the defendant, you'll start stalking them and attacking them in parking lots?

Finally, when you've made your case, the judge goes to their chambers to make their decision. Do you run back to the chambers, bang on the door and say it's been taking too long? Do you yell through the door that stealing must be okay? We won't always notify you when your reports have been acted upon, so make sure to check the court documents (the reported post) to see if an action has been taken yet. It is also good to check the documents before reporting a post, as sometimes it may have already been taken to court and tried.

These are some things that I would like all of you to think about when you are making reports. Thank you for your time.

Cletus
10-16-2017, 12:37 PM
Maybe if the mods were more competent, it wouldn't be an issue.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 12:39 PM

What a douchebag

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 12:41 PM
For the record I don't report people, very rarely and usually if it appears to be a threat.

I am also disturbed at the moderation call-outs in the hole.

Perianne
10-16-2017, 12:41 PM
I don't report anything anyway, so this doesn't affect me. But I can see how the mods would be annoyed at petulant behavior by the members.

Cletus
10-16-2017, 12:50 PM
I don't report anything anyway, so this doesn't affect me. But I can see how the mods would be annoyed at petulant behavior by the members.

I call the mods out any time I think they make a bad call, which is most of the time. I don't do it on the open forum, but I do use the report feature. I could point to one moderator and only one moderator I would call good at the job.

It may not be their fault individually most of the time. The system of moderating by committee sucks. You end up with things like action taken hours after something is said and the thread has moved far beyond it. That is counterproductive.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. It doesn't matter how warranted comments are, trying to improve things around here is an exercise in futility. All you can do is go with what you've got.

Private Pickle
10-16-2017, 01:13 PM
My reports dramatically reduced when Del was booted...

Private Pickle
10-16-2017, 01:14 PM
I call the mods out any time I think they make a bad call, which is most of the time. I don't do it on the open forum, but I do use the report feature. I could point to one moderator and only one moderator I would call good at the job.

Derp.

jimmyz
10-16-2017, 01:20 PM
I questioned my last warning/infraction in a polite manner and just took it after a PM or two.

I hope my suggestion that when an image is removed a PM is sent to the poster telling me to avoid my re-posting it later on down the thread garnering me an infraction.

But in the end it's just the internet so yeah, not life and death.

texan
10-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Reporting people Boss Move or Soft Move?

Soft Move.

texan
10-16-2017, 01:32 PM
Please list the tattle-tails. This will solve you problem.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm really not sure what he purpose of this thread was other than "stop frivolous reporting" but tbh, I think many know who the biggest whiners here and which ones atre the most petty. They try to use moderation as a wedge in their petty bickering contests.

That I get, and pretty much anyone with an ounce of wit can guess who these people are.

So how about adding frivolous reports to the infraction system?

Mister D
10-16-2017, 03:58 PM
I'm really not sure what he purpose of this thread was other than "stop frivolous reporting" but tbh, I think many know who the biggest whiners here and which ones atre the most petty. They try to use moderation as a wedge in their petty bickering contests.

That I get, and pretty much anyone with an ounce of wit can guess who these people are.

I like that idea.

Ravens Fan
10-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Frivolous reports are only a part of the problem. Personally, I don't want to infract a member for not seeing that we have acted on something already, I just wish people would look before reporting it.

My issue though, is with those who like to demean the Mod team or act like we are doing something wrong by not seeing something before they do. We try to be professional in our communications with the membership, we do not accuse posters of biases, and we try to be as fair as possible. Just a little common decency when reporting would be nice. And it is not everybody, just a few from both sides of the isle that like to do it.

The ideal way, would be that if you see something that needs action, and none has been taken yet, you report it with a brief description of your complaint, and then move on. Do not reply to the same comment that you report, do not re-report the same exact thing (we see all of them), and don't make threats about what you will do if we do not Mod in the way you feel we should. ( threats will not work, because if you follow through with them, then it is you we have to Mod. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris
10-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Personally, I don't want to infract a member for not seeing that we have acted on something already, I just wish people would look before reporting it.

How about posting mod notifications in the post itself? IOW, if I report post 25 and you all later act on it, go back and notify us of your action in post 25. That way people coming along later can see a post has been handled. That way, too, if I report post 25, I can see if an action has been taken by checking that known post, rather than searching for a notification somewhere else later in the thread.

Ravens Fan
10-16-2017, 04:27 PM
How about posting mod notifications in the post itself? IOW, if I report post 25 and you all later act on it, go back and notify us of your action in post 25. That way people coming along later can see a post has been handled. That way, too, if I report post 25, I can see if an action has been taken by checking that known post, rather than searching for a notification somewhere else later in the thread.

I'm sure that is something we can discuss in the Mod room. I am all for making things easier.

Refugee
10-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Reading between the lines I get a feeling of angst and a plea not to criticise the mods, being professional, above reproach and all that. Conversely, like it or not, someone has to make the decision(s).

Perhaps a short one sentence statement explanation to go with the cartoon like yellow warning might help to explain why the decision was taken for all to see and that might put the professionalism to the test, as well as removing accusations of bias behind closed doors? In other words, be more open about it all? Just an idea.

AZ Jim
10-16-2017, 05:52 PM
I obviously don't comment on mods on the board. I will henceforth not use PMs or report mode for any reason lest any mod be offended by my frustration.

Captain Obvious
10-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Frivolous reports are only a part of the problem. Personally, I don't want to infract a member for not seeing that we have acted on something already, I just wish people would look before reporting it.

My issue though, is with those who like to demean the Mod team or act like we are doing something wrong by not seeing something before they do. We try to be professional in our communications with the membership, we do not accuse posters of biases, and we try to be as fair as possible. Just a little common decency when reporting would be nice. And it is not everybody, just a few from both sides of the isle that like to do it.

The ideal way, would be that if you see something that needs action, and none has been taken yet, you report it with a brief description of your complaint, and then move on. Do not reply to the same comment that you report, do not re-report the same exact thing (we see all of them), and don't make threats about what you will do if we do not Mod in the way you feel we should. ( threats will not work, because if you follow through with them, then it is you we have to Mod. )

Agreed, but a lot of people are children, they use the report function for petty pissantery.

jimmyz
10-16-2017, 11:14 PM
Are report posts tallied by the mods in the system to identify abusers of the report function?

Kacper
10-17-2017, 02:11 AM
You couldn't pay me to ever be a Mod on a political site again. It takes all the joy of being part of the community away IMO.

DGUtley
10-17-2017, 03:25 AM
Are report posts tallied by the mods in the system to identify abusers of the report function?

No, we don’t tally them but you know quickly who they are when you see the same names day-in and day-out.

Hal Jordan
10-19-2017, 01:32 AM
I obviously don't comment on mods on the board. I will henceforth not use PMs or report mode for any reason lest any mod be offended by my frustration.

We rely on reports. This wasn't meant to stop anyone from reporting, but to be more thoughtful when reporting. The mods aren't the enemy. It's one thing to be frustrated with a poster, but another to take that frustration out on the mod team.

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 01:38 AM
Tissue?

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 01:51 AM
The MODS always take pains to appear balanced in how they characterize a particular issue. It usually comes in the form of a statement containing the phrase "both sides". But I think it's pretty clear to the general membership that while "both sides" may have individuals who are guilty of the kind of behavior being described by the OP, it is nowhere near as balanced as the MODS are making it seem. I think we all know which "side" is the one playing the victim and complaining the most, and that's the liberal clique. They openly and continuously complain about moderation in a subforum that shall remain unnamed, so I can only imagine how much they whine and complain in private. What's interesting about their behavior on the forum is that it mirrors their behavior in the political realm. They demand unconditional control over almost everything and if they don't get their way, then they play the victim and complain incessantly. TPF's liberal clique is especially bad in this regard. Probably the worst I've seen in seventeen years of political forums.

jimmyz
10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
The MODS always take pains to appear balanced in how they characterize a particular issue. It usually comes in the form of a statement containing the phrase "both sides". But I think it's pretty clear to the general membership that while "both sides" may have individuals who are guilty of the kind of behavior being described by the OP, it is nowhere near as balanced as the MODS are making it seem. I think we all know which "side" is the one playing the victim and complaining the most, and that's the liberal clique. They openly and continuously complain about moderation in a subforum that shall remain unnamed, so I can only imagine how much they whine and complain in private. What's interesting about their behavior on the forum is that it mirrors their behavior in the political realm. They demand unconditional control over almost everything and if they don't get their way, then they play the victim and complain incessantly. TPF's liberal clique is especially bad in this regard. Probably the worst I've seen in seventeen years of political forums.

It's hard to know since the reports are private. I can't believe that the "liberal clique" are solely responsible for over-use of the report function. We'll never know though so...meh shrug.

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 06:41 PM
It's hard to know since the reports are private. I can't believe that the "liberal clique" are solely responsible for over-use of the report function. We'll never know though so...meh shrug.
The reports are private. But their public and incessant complaints about moderation in the hole are not.