PDA

View Full Version : 'Speak American' teacher video sparks protests at N.J. high school

Common
10-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Dozens of students walked out of classes in protest at Cliffside Park High School on Monday, days after a video of a teacher telling children to "speak American" appeared on social media. Around 11:30 a.m., a fire alarm was pulled and hundreds of students came outside the school accompanied by staff members.
Some students in this heavily-Hispanic district enthusiastically waved flags symbolizing their heritage as cheers went up from crowds gathered outside.
"Men and women are fighting. They are not fighting for your right to speak Spanish," the teacher says in the video. "They are fighting for your right to speak American."

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017/10/speak_american_teacher_video_sparks_protests_at_nj _high_school.html#incart_m-rpt-2

stjames1_53
10-18-2017, 06:15 AM
Good for the teacher. This IS America, not Mexico

Ransom
10-18-2017, 06:24 AM
All students should be encouraged to speak English(American), it enhances your employment possibilities and education opportunities. Anyone want to enter in the labor market without speaking English........it puts you at a serious disadvantage.

We've got student athletes.....we've got student protestors.....and we've student idiots. These kids....who knows if they're protesting or athletes......they're fckin stupid though, that is a fact.

donttread
10-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Good for the teacher. This IS America, not Mexico

A fair request to speak "American " in an "American" school is it not?

Adelaide
10-18-2017, 07:35 AM
"Right to speak American."

It is called English, dolt.

Adelaide
10-18-2017, 07:37 AM
All students should be encouraged to speak English(American), it enhances your employment possibilities and education opportunities. Anyone want to enter in the labor market without speaking English........it puts you at a serious disadvantage.

We've got student athletes.....we've got student protestors.....and we've student idiots. These kids....who knows if they're protesting or athletes......they're fckin stupid though, that is a fact.

See, you caught it also.

I agree that it is most advantageous if they learn English. If they are new to the country, it may take some time particularly for high school-aged children. Harder to learn languages at that point. Still, learning English is essential for the future.

stjames1_53
10-18-2017, 07:41 AM

Don't tell the Brits that.............

Adelaide
10-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Don't tell the Brits that.............

I use primarily British/Canadian English, but I would never tell someone to speak Canadian - that's stupid. It's English, particularly in terms of English that is American in origin as that is what is universally spoken/accepted now across the globe.

Green Arrow
10-18-2017, 07:46 AM
“American” is not a language. If the teacher is that dumb the kids probably learned more from standing outside than they did in the class.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 07:51 AM
They should be in class getting the education they so desperately need. Hispanic students do not do well in the US overall and part of the reason for that is their poor English. Sorry, I'd hate to be Captain Obvious here but...really?

Standing Wolf
10-18-2017, 08:04 AM
On the other hand, if you and a number of other native English-speakers had emigrated to, say, Mexico, and you were having a conversation with one of them - would you feel constrained to speak to them in a language that was not natural to you, and which you were perhaps still learning? Maybe I missed it in the article, but is there a written rule in that school that mandates the speaking of English only? It sounds as though the teacher just got annoyed and attempted to enforce something they had no business enforcing. (I also have a strong suspicion that if the students had been speaking Mandarin or Russian, virtually any language other than Spanish, nothing would have been said.) And saying that it's beneficial to be proficient in English, etc., while perfectly true, doesn't change or justify giving somebody grief over something that isn't prohibited by the rules.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 08:10 AM
They belong in class not in some half-assed protest that we all know is just an excuse to do nothing all day.

Adelaide
10-18-2017, 08:12 AM
They should be in class getting the education they so desperately need. Hispanic students do not do well in the US overall and part of the reason for that is their poor English. Sorry, I'd hate to be Captain Obvious here but...really?

Canada implemented intensive English as a second language (ESL) programs that children attend in normal schools and which adults can take during the day or at night school. Believe the cost is covered by the welfare package most immigrants receive. Works pretty well.

Standing Wolf
10-18-2017, 08:24 AM
I saw a study awhile back that found that most second-generation Americans of Hispanic origin don't even speak or understand Spanish. One of my own staff members is a young man whose parents came from Mexico, and he just barely gets by in that language, while speaking English at least as well as his native-born coworkers. It isn't like we're in any danger of English becoming a forgotten skill here, guys.

Fredy
10-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Dozens of students walked out of classes in protest at Cliffside Park High School on Monday, days after a video of a teacher telling children to "speak American" appeared on social media. Around 11:30 a.m., a fire alarm was pulled and hundreds of students came outside the school accompanied by staff members.
Some students in this heavily-Hispanic district enthusiastically waved flags symbolizing their heritage as cheers went up from crowds gathered outside.
"Men and women are fighting. They are not fighting for your right to speak Spanish," the teacher says in the video. "They are fighting for your right to speak American."

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2017/10/speak_american_teacher_video_sparks_protests_at_nj _high_school.html#incart_m-rpt-2
Yes, they are.

Abby08
10-18-2017, 09:24 AM
The teacher is right. Many of the students probably aren't legal citizens, so, "speak American', is kind of correct, also.....yes, I do know it's, English, for those who are always poised to pounce..... what's wrong with a teacher, in the USA, demanding the students know the language? Do you have any ides, the amount of hours taken from the English speaking students, when the teachers have to cater to the Hispanics who can't/won't bother learning the language?

It isn't fair and, if the schools don't care about legal birth certificats or, vaccination records, they need to make a rule.....you don't have a working knowledge of English.... speak, read and , write....you don't get enrolled.

This nonsense has to stop.

Fredy
10-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Yes, it's extremely unfair to expect teachers to take the time to teach their students.

Abby08
10-18-2017, 09:27 AM
If you want to wave your flag, go back to where you came from and, wave the crap outta it.

As long as you're here, breaking the law to get here, if getting here was so important, don't disrespect our country by then, raising the flag of your home country.

Abby08
10-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Yes, it's extremely unfair to expect teachers to take the time to teach their students.

Yes, it is, when said students don't speak English and, the teachers have to spend most of their time with them, ignoring the others.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 09:36 AM
They belong in class not in the school yard making utterly frivolous protests. Look, I know this sort of thing gives progressive white folks a hard on but since you insist these people belong here the least you could do is encourage them to do something constructive with their lives.

Cannons Front
10-18-2017, 09:40 AM
On the other hand, if you and a number of other native English-speakers had emigrated to, say, Mexico, and you were having a conversation with one of them - would you feel constrained to speak to them in a language that was not natural to you, and which you were perhaps still learning? Maybe I missed it in the article, but is there a written rule in that school that mandates the speaking of English only? It sounds as though the teacher just got annoyed and attempted to enforce something they had no business enforcing. (I also have a strong suspicion that if the students had been speaking Mandarin or Russian, virtually any language other than Spanish, nothing would have been said.) And saying that it's beneficial to be proficient in English, etc., while perfectly true, doesn't change or justify giving somebody grief over something that isn't prohibited by the rules.

Yes, if you and others immigrated to another country and were attending school, you would be expected to speak the native language of that country in school, they I would hope would provide training in this (just as schools do here) but the schools would not expect every teacher to learn every language to speak to the students. Maybe this teacher speaks fluent German or French, maybe he speaks 5 languages just not Spanish. It is disrespectful and disruptive in a class to speak a language that the teacher does not understand.

I remember my Drill Sergeant telling a few Puerto Rican Guard enlistees in Basic, that he didn't speak Spanish, so they were not allowed to use Spanish, his reason was clear they could be calling him names that he didn't understand, he used much more colorful language but I think you understand the point.

Abby08
10-18-2017, 09:43 AM
They belong in class not in the school yard making utterly frivolous protests. Look, I know this sort of thing gives progressive white folks a hard on but since you insist these people belong here the least you could do is encourage them to do something constructive with their lives.

Oh, they don't really want anything to do with these people, they just love flapping their guns, opposing everything Trump supports.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 09:48 AM
Oh, they don't really want anything to do with these people, they just love flapping their guns, opposing everything Trump supports.
Sure they do. America needs more busboys. That's the linchpin of a modern economy.

Captain Obvious
10-18-2017, 09:53 AM

And eat white people food too an shit...

gamewell45
10-18-2017, 09:57 AM

Living in a state which borders the Canadian Province of Quebec (which I believe French is the primary language) if you speak only English it can make it very hard to order your meals in some restaurants or shop in some stores. I've never been to Quebec, but my friend who is from Montreal has told me it's best if you get the basic language skills down before visiting there since that's what most of the local inhabitants speak even if they know English.

Cletus
10-18-2017, 10:43 AM

We captured it from the Brits, so we'll call it whatever we want.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Captain Obvious

Speak English or Die. Wasn't that heavy metal album back in the 80s?

Cletus
10-18-2017, 10:48 AM
I hope the school has video and caught whoever hit the fire alarm in the act. He or she should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Captain Obvious
10-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Captain Obvious

Speak English or Die. Wasn't that heavy metal album back in the 80s?

lol had to gpogle that, never heard of that band.

Mister D
10-18-2017, 11:05 AM
lol had to gpogle that, never heard of that band.

I just looked it up too. S.O.D I remember the name but I don't think I ever heard that song. 1985 sounds about right.

Standing Wolf
10-18-2017, 11:32 AM
I remember my Drill Sergeant telling a few Puerto Rican Guard enlistees in Basic, that he didn't speak Spanish, so they were not allowed to use Spanish, his reason was clear they could be calling him names that he didn't understand, he used much more colorful language but I think you understand the point.

A school classroom is not Basic Training. I remember my Company Commander making me stand in formation apologizing to my hat for not removing the tag from it, and a lot of other Mickey Mouse b.s.

Cannons Front
10-18-2017, 12:06 PM
A school classroom is not Basic Training. I remember my Company Commander making me stand in formation apologizing to my hat for not removing the tag from it, and a lot of other Mickey Mouse b.s.

Not saying they are the same but the example is a good reason that Teachers might not want kids using other languages in their classroom. That and the kids are going to have to function in English.

Standing Wolf
10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Not saying they are the same but the example is a good reason that Teachers might not want kids using other languages in their classroom. That and the kids are going to have to function in English.

I have to wonder whether the teacher would have reacted similarly if it had been two White students practicing for Spanish class.

Anyway, as far as having to "function in English" goes, for all we know the students involved speak English relatively well, but were simply choosing, at that moment, to speak Spanish. Is there something wrong with being bilingual? Yes, speaking English is a definite employment advantage in this country...but being bilingual even more so.

Cannons Front
10-19-2017, 05:28 AM
I have to wonder whether the teacher would have reacted similarly if it had been two White students practicing for Spanish class.
Anyway, as far as having to "function in English" goes, for all we know the students involved speak English relatively well, but were simply choosing, at that moment, to speak Spanish. Is there something wrong with being bilingual? Yes, speaking English is a definite employment advantage in this country...but being bilingual even more so.

I have to wonder why you and others keep wanting everything to be racial. You assume that the teacher would have acted different if it had been 2 "white" kids speaking Spanish.... I think had it been 2 white kids the teacher would have said, this is not Spanish class. Who's right? Who knows.

I have explained and gave an example of why the teacher might not want kids chatting in Spanish in his class, it is reasonable for good order. "Speaking English is a definite employment advantage" is a bit of an understatement in general if you want to have a career rather than a job it is essential.

Standing Wolf
10-19-2017, 08:08 AM
I have to wonder why you and others keep wanting everything to be racial.

I, for one, don't want "everything to be racial"...but sometimes it just is anyway. You're right, of course, neither of us really knows what might have happened in this situation had certain elements been different. On the other hand, we don't know anything about the legal status of the students involved, but that didn't prevent some earlier posters to this thread from speculating on that.

Maybe the teacher didn't want kids "chatting in Spanish in his class...but if it isn't against the rules and they were not speaking when they should not have been or otherwise disrupting the class, so what? I had a teacher in junior high school who was obsessed with the phrase "I don't care"; if he heard you say it, in any context, whether to him or someone else in the class, he would mark it down in a book; if you said it a total of three times, he would take you out in the hallway and spank you with a big paddle. When my own kids were in school, they would tell us about teachers they had with all manner of strange quirks, dislikes and obsessions.

A good teacher might have taken the occasion, assuming that they weren't in the middle of a lesson, to ask the Spanish-speaking students to give a brief, impromptu Spanish lesson to the non-Spanish speakers in the class - something that would demonstrate a bit of imagination and tolerance, rather than narrowness and paranoia at the possibility of being "talked about". Engage the students like real human beings, instead of annoyances. I still remember my days and years in school at various levels, and I can recall very clearly that the teachers who were treated with the most respect were, by no coincidence, the ones who returned the favor.

Cletus
10-19-2017, 10:26 AM
The US should adopt American English as the "language of government" in this country. Government forms should be printed in English only. All official proceedings should be conducted in English. English should be the language used in our educational facilities unless the subject matter is specifically about foreign languages.

We spend a ridiculous amount of money in this country producing huge numbers of multilingual forms, providing interpreters, doing all kinds of nonsense to accommodate non-English speakers. Learning the language is part of the assimilation process wherever you go. It should be here, as well.

Don
10-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Not really. What the English speak is English. They sure don't sound like us. Tonne is English. Ton is American.

resister
10-19-2017, 11:25 AM
The US should adopt American English as the "language of government" in this country. Government forms should be printed in English only. All official proceedings should be conducted in English. English should be the language used in our educational facilities unless the subject matter is specifically about foreign languages.

We spend a ridiculous amount of money in this country producing huge numbers of multilingual forms, providing interpreters, doing all kinds of nonsense to accommodate non-English speakers. Learning the language is part of the assimilation process wherever you go. It should be here, as well.It is part of the agenda to transform America, instead of immigrants assimilating we are expected to assimilate to them in the name of "diversity"

Once upon a time an arriving immigrants first duty was to learn English, those days are long gone.

Abby08
10-19-2017, 11:41 AM
This country bends over backwards to accommodate the non English speaking population..... Illegals, especially...WE need to learn THEIR language?! WE need to speak Spanish to get certain jobs in OUR country!? WE need to put menus, voting ballots, directions etc, in English and Spanish!?

It's gotten beyond ridiculous.... we're fast becoming minorities in our own country.