PDA

View Full Version : Was this the right thing to do

Common
10-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Do you consider this stealing and should she have turned the dollar in.

Walmart fires grandmother for taking dollar she found on floor (http://nypost.com/2017/10/19/walmart-fires-grandmother-for-taking-dollar-she-found-on-floor/)An octogenarian Walmart worker was apparently fired for very a ‘petit’ offense — pocketing a dollar bill that someone dropped on the store floor, according to a reports.

Frankie Ruffino, 84, of Texas worked as a greeter at a Walmart in Brenham for nearly a decade, but was fired from the gig the day after she found the buck, she told KHOU.com (http://www.khou.com/news/local/fired-84-year-old-grandmother-demands-answers-from-walmart/484098367).
“I found a dollar bill on the floor, just one dollar bill,” Ruffino recalled to the news outlet, adding that she discovered the single bill lying in the aisle as she was getting ready to close up.
Ruffino picked up the bill and put it on her walker before she went home that night, she said.
The next day her managers asked to see her.
The manager asked: “‘Did you find some money yesterday?’ I said ‘yes, I picked up a dollar bill, here it is right there,’” said Ruffino.
The following day Ruffino was hit with a crushing blow.
“She said, ‘I need your badge and your vest,'” the grandmother said. “‘You have been let go because of your integrity.'”
“I said, ‘How am I going to push my walker and walk myself outside,’” said Ruffino. “I needed the job to take care of myself.”
Ruffino, who has worked for 70 years, said she relies on her Walmart job to pay for her medication and the oxygen tanks she requires.
She also claimed that in her nearly 10 years of service to Walmart, she’s kept a spotless record.
“I was hired as a greeter, which is what I wanted to be,” Ruffino told the news outlet. “I gave it my all, that’s all I can say, never came late.”
Walmart refused to respond to a request for comment by KHOU.com, saying the store does not comment on personal matters.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/19/walmart-fires-grandmother-for-taking-dollar-she-found-on-floor/

resister
10-19-2017, 11:20 AM
I hate Wal Mart and do my damndest to shop elsewhere. Shame on them.

Common
10-19-2017, 11:28 AM
I was fired from a part time job at 15, I cleaned toilets for a commercial cleaning outfit that cleaned offices. I found 2.00 folded up next to a commode, like they fell out of someones pocket. I kept them not even considering it was stealing. Four days later I was fired for just that stealing, the office manager had planted to the 2.00. Was a lesson learned for me.

midcan5
10-19-2017, 11:34 AM
I have never heard much good about Walmart, we don't shop there but have a few times gone in to see the appeal. They are capitalism at its worst per a few employees I have talked to, but people gotta live and Americans like cheap. And maybe can only afford cheap. I once worked (HS) in a religious institution's treasury office. On one of my first days I was asked to clean up a bit. As i did so I found money, not much but a few dollars. My thought? Are they testing me? Never knew but I gave them the money and kept the job. lol

And no she should not have been fired.

Chris
10-19-2017, 11:35 AM
Seems harsh but rules are rules. My guess is Walmart will kowtow to public opinion against them for it.

stjames1_53
10-19-2017, 11:41 AM
When you find a dollar on teh floor, just who are you supposed to turn it over to? What if that person pockets it......see where this is going?

Common
10-19-2017, 11:48 AM
If you find a dollar on the street its now yours, if you find a dollar on the floor where you work, turn it in to a supv and be done with it.

Standing Wolf
10-19-2017, 11:53 AM
As an employee, yes, keeping anything of value that you find on the premises is technically stealing. She should have given it over to the Lost and Found, which I assume would be at the Customer Service Desk.

On the other hand - Good Gawd, NO, she should not have been fired! A disabled 84-year-old with ten years of service to the company, fired for a one-dollar, momentary lapse of judgment? I rarely have occasion to go to Walmart anyway, but if I lived in that town that store would be on my permanent Off Limits list unless they had a change of heart.

nathanbforrest45
10-19-2017, 12:45 PM
When you find a dollar on teh floor, just who are you supposed to turn it over to? What if that person pockets it......see where this is going?

If the other person keeps it you have still done the right thing and now the immoral action is on them and not you.

Actually, I think there is a lot more to the story than what is posted. First of all I thought Walmart got rid of its greeters years ago.

nathanbforrest45
10-19-2017, 01:00 PM
Seems harsh but rules are rules. My guess is Walmart will kowtow to public opinion against them for it.

It may be this person was becoming a real horses ass with the customers and they would be happy to see her gone. There is a "cart collector" at the Walmart where I live that has a habit of parking a row of carts behind cars attempting to leave and then going off 5 or 6 rows away to collect more carts, leaving the poor shopper unable to get out of his parking spot. I think a lot of customers would applaud her getting fired.

Not every 85 year old grandmother on a walker and oxygen is a paragon of virtue.

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 03:46 PM
If the other person keeps it you have still done the right thing and now the immoral action is on them and not you.

Pocketing a dollar that fell on the floor... big moral implications there.

The Xl
10-19-2017, 03:54 PM
That's really brutal and unnecessary of them. Harsh.

The Xl
10-19-2017, 03:55 PM
It may be this person was becoming a real horses ass with the customers and they would be happy to see her gone. There is a "cart collector" at the Walmart where I live that has a habit of parking a row of carts behind cars attempting to leave and then going off 5 or 6 rows away to collect more carts, leaving the poor shopper unable to get out of his parking spot. I think a lot of customers would applaud her getting fired.

Not every 85 year old grandmother on a walker and oxygen is a paragon of virtue.
I'd really hope that most people that shop there wouldn't be so miserable, petty, devoid of empathy, and overall dickish to want a disabled 80 something year old fired over a fucking dollar.

Mister D
10-19-2017, 03:56 PM
I can see turning in a $50 or a even a $20 but who is going to call Walmart and ask if anyone found the dollar bill they dropped on the floor?

Mister D
10-19-2017, 03:58 PM
I'd really hope that most people that shop there wouldn't be so miserable, petty, devoid of empathy, and overall dickish to want a disabled 80 something year old fired over a $#@!ing dollar.
I get the whole integrity thing but who would imagine someone is going to be looking for this dollar bill?

The Xl
10-19-2017, 04:00 PM
I get the whole integrity thing but who would imagine someone is going to be looking for this dollar bill?
That's the thing, the lady probably thought that no one would know or care that they dropped a dollar. If it was a bigger bill, then I'd understand. I'd imagine both the worker and the person who dropped it would think nothing of it.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2017, 04:01 PM
She should have been pistol whipped and stuffed into the ice cream cooler

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 04:05 PM
That's really brutal and unnecessary of them. Harsh.
If they don't stop her criminal ways early on, it's only a matter time before she starts putting spy cams in the bathrooms and spitting in the milk.

Ethereal
10-19-2017, 04:11 PM
"Here, boss. I found this measly dollar on the floor. See that it is returned to its rightful owner."

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/03/05/63592751447556113034690034_Hero.png

Captain Obvious
10-19-2017, 04:12 PM
"Here, boss. I found this measly dollar on the floor. See that it is returned to its rightful owner."

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/03/05/63592751447556113034690034_Hero.png

The government adopts the same policy.

"Property of the state"

Don
10-19-2017, 04:26 PM
I don't think this is Walmart, its the manager. He doesn't know the difference between letter of the law and spirit of the law. He could have reminded the lady that it was their policy to turn in even small amounts of money or any lost property and let it go at that. Maybe he didn't like the old woman for some other reason and used that as an excuse to terminate her. I'd bet Walmart will let him know that a dollar isn't worth the negative opinion people might have over this, especially since many people are looking for any excuse to cast them in a bad light.

Something else, just because a store has problems doesn't mean all of them do. You can go to a McDonald's and find a filthy store with bad service and cold horrible food and drive 10 blocks and find one just the opposite. Its the management.

Common
10-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Theres alot of folks in this thread saying she should not have been fired and that it was harsh. I wonder if her age has anything to do with that sentiment and if she was say 30 would everyone still feel the same.

Im not a walmart fan, so what I have to say is not in their defense. If you are going to have rules they have to apply to 18 yr old as well as 88 yr olds. If its a policy that if you find money on the floor of the store that you turn it in, then they were right to fire her.

The one short time in my life I worked retail as dept manager of the computer, dept, <4 months> it was in the rules any items found in the store that were personal items or cash that belonged to someone else would be turned into the store security officer or a manager. I do not know if walmart has such a rule