PDA

View Full Version : Are 'Flatliners' Really Conscious After Death?

Chris
10-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Just in time for Halloween...

Are 'Flatliners' Really Conscious After Death? (https://www.livescience.com/60593-flatliners-movie-death-resuscitation.html)

...But what really happens in the body and brain in the moments after cardiac arrest?...

...During cardiac arrest, the electrical signals driving the heart's pumping action are disrupted, the heart ceases beating and death shortly follows, the AHA said.

In the vast majority of terminal cases, physicians medically define death based on when the heart no longer beats, said Dr. Sam Parnia, director of critical care and resuscitation research at NYU Langone School of Medicine in New York City.

"Technically speaking, that's how you get the time of death — it's all based on the moment when the heart stops," he told Live Science.

Once that happens, blood no longer circulates to the brain, which means brain function halts "almost instantaneously," Parnia said. "You lose all your brain stem reflexes — your gag reflex, your pupil reflex, all that is gone."

The brain's cerebral cortex — the so-called "thinking part" of the brain — also slows down instantly, and flatlines, meaning that no brainwaves are visible on an electric monitor, within 2 to 20 seconds. This initiates a chain reaction of cellular processes that eventually result in the death of brain cells, but that can take hours after the heart has stopped, Parnia said.

Common
10-20-2017, 08:51 AM
The end of life drugs they give elderly to immobilize them, they are conscious and if you talk to them they will eventually do something to let you know they hear you, like jerk their leg or hand. Its a small gesture but it happens, that has to SUCK to be immobilized but conscious.

gamewell45
10-20-2017, 08:56 AM
The end of life drugs they give elderly to immobilize them, they are conscious and if you talk to them they will eventually do something to let you know they hear you, like jerk their leg or hand. Its a small gesture but it happens, that has to SUCK to be immobilized but conscious.

Very true, that's why I hope I go quickly so I don't end up like that. Give me a nice massive stroke or full cardiac arrest or heck even a sudden traumatic injury that ends it all for me. I've seen too many living vegetables in my time to want to spend my final days like that.

Ravens Fan
10-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Very true, that's why I hope I go quickly so I don't end up like that. Give me a nice massive stroke or full cardiac arrest or heck even a sudden traumatic injury that ends it all for me. I've seen too many living vegetables in my time to want to spend my final days like that.

I couldn't agree more. Don't want to be a vegetable, and really don't want to die a slow death from cancer, like so many I have known. Fast and final will be just fine.