PDA

View Full Version : Fake news!

Crepitus
10-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Lol. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/20/retired-navy-seal-praising-trump-on-fox-news-was-a-fake/

Retired 'Navy SEAL' praising Trump on Fox News was a fake

exotix
10-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Sad.

gamewell45
10-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Obviously a black eye for the Fox News organization which goes to show how important it is to double check your sources prior to putting them on the air.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the News Exec's held their weekly meeting; I'm sure that plenty of colorful metaphors were directed at the producers of that news segment.

Common
10-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Lol. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/10/20/retired-navy-seal-praising-trump-on-fox-news-was-a-fake/

Retired 'Navy SEAL' praising Trump on Fox News was a fake

DId fox know he was a fraud ?

Crepitus
10-20-2017, 10:20 AM
DId fox know he was a fraud ?

Does that matter? It doesn't seem to when conservatives accuse cnn or MSNBC does it?

Anyway, at the time no. But if you read the link you will see that they were notified with 1 day that he was a fake and left the story up for 11 days. They still haven't issued a retraction either.

Standing Wolf
10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Obviously a black eye for the Fox News organization which goes to show how important it is to double check your sources prior to putting them on the air.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the News Exec's held their weekly meeting; I'm sure that plenty of colorful metaphors were directed at the producers of that news segment.

Earlier this year, I had occasion to speak with a popular novelist whose latest book features a character who had become well-known and well off financially by claiming to be a "terrorism expert" and former CIA agent. He'd done considerable research on the subject several years ago when he was working as a reporter, and his more recent research only confirmed his suspicions that the problem of fake veterans, spies and experts has only gotten worse. According to him, the media outlets, the publishers , etc., don't care who the fakes are. He found instances of publishers giving six-figure advance checks to "war heroes" who'd never been in harm's way for five seconds. He found "terrorism experts" who were routinely called to comment and debate on cable news programs who had already been publicly outed as frauds and liars.

gamewell45
10-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Earlier this year, I had occasion to speak with a popular novelist whose latest book features a character who had become well-known and well off financially by claiming to be a "terrorism expert" and former CIA agent. He'd done considerable research on the subject several years ago when he was working as a reporter, and his more recent research only confirmed his suspicions that the problem of fake veterans, spies and experts has only gotten worse. According to him, the media outlets, the publishers , etc., don't care who the fakes are. He found instances of publishers giving six-figure advance checks to "war heroes" who'd never been in harm's way for five seconds. He found "terrorism experts" who were routinely called to comment and debate on cable news programs who had already been publicly outed as frauds and liars.

I'd say it's a real sad state of affairs when various media outlets knowingly put people on the air who are frauds/fakes/what have you. If they make a mistake, it's always better to put out a retraction as opposed to turning your cheek away from it because once you lose credibility, that's it, your organization is toast and relegated to the National Enquirer status in the eyes of many people.

CWF
10-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Fake News is simply symptomatic of the deeper problem of Fake Journalism.

Both are agenda driven, and since they are then neither are reliable as to simple truth and honesty in reporting. The real questions are who sets the agenda, and why. In my view, it is obvious that partisan, political, preference is preferable to honesty in both print and broadcast journalism. This has now been exposed for what it is, and the proponents of it could care less in the environment of hate that replaced common decency. Fake news illustrates decadence.

In order to truly address an issue or problem one must first obtain the facts concerning the malady. Fake news makes it impossible to take this first step.

leekohler2
10-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Does that matter? It doesn't seem to when conservatives accuse cnn or MSNBC does it?

Anyway, at the time no. But if you read the link you will see that they were notified with 1 day that he was a fake and left the story up for 11 days. They still haven't issued a retraction either.

Well, they are the news network that sued in court so that they could lie.

jimmyz
10-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Embarrassing for the network for sure. This has happened to every network on the tube at one time or another. Kind of intellectually dishonest just point at Fox News.