PDA

View Full Version : tPF Niger attack fuels new push for war vote

Green Arrow
10-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/20/niger-attack-war-vote-244012):

Some lawmakers, citing the deaths of four U.S. soldiers ambushed by terrorists in Niger, called on Congress on Friday to reconsider the broad war authority it granted in 2001 — as the Pentagon telegraphed that more such missions in more places are likely in the offing.

The Senate Foreign Relations Committee announced it will hear testimony next week from Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on the 16-year-old Authorization for Use of Military Force that is now being used to justify military operations in numerous countries.

Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said in a statement that current threats make it “perhaps more important than ever that we have a sober national conversation about Congress’ constitutional role in authorizing the use of military force.”

For some on Capitol Hill, the attack in Niger highlights the need for updated legislation that takes into account the myriad operations against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups on several continents.

"The many questions surrounding the death of American service members in Niger show the urgent need to have a public discussion about the current extent of our military operations around the world," said Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), another panel member.

Such far-flung counter-terrorism missions are what critics like Kaine contend were never conceived of when Congress voted after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to invade Afghanistan, where the Al Qaeda plot was conceived.

The 2001 AUMF was a complete and total abdication of Congress's responsibility to check the president's ability to wage war. It's long past time for Congress to do its job and take a much stronger hand in where we send our troops. The fact that we are currently involved in military action on virtually every continent in several countries all without a single Congressional vote except the one authorizing action in Iraq and Afghanistan SIXTEEN YEARS AGO is frankly ridiculous. This has been going on for far too long and needs to be reined in now. We need to start asking ourselves why American troops are being killed in places like Niger.

nathanbforrest45
10-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Big huge question. What are we doing in Niger???? What is our compelling national interest in being there?

Ethereal
10-20-2017, 11:35 PM
Big huge question. What are we doing in Niger???? What is our compelling national interest in being there?
The ostensible rationalization is that it's part of the "war on terror". I believe AQ/ISIS has a presence there. The only problem is that organizations like AQ and ISIS can have a presence virtually anywhere at anytime with very little effort. As I heard it put once, all a group like ISIS needs to do in order to draw US troops in is to plant an ISIS flag in the soil and declare a caliphate. This means the US will be fighting an endless war all over the planet with no clear path to victory. And that's exactly how the political class and the war profiteering corporations like it.

Peter1469
10-21-2017, 12:30 AM
As the Islamic State is dismantled its fighters will disperse to many different places globally. Both the DoD and the IC have publicly stated they will continue the fight.

It will be interesting to see if Congress actually revisits the AUMF.

Cletus
10-21-2017, 01:44 AM
We have been deploying troops on this kind of mission since long before ISIS or the "war on terror" or the AUMF. The WOT may be the rationale behind this one. It could also be a request for military assistance from the government of Niger in dealing with cross border incursions from Mali.

Peter1469
10-21-2017, 02:01 AM
We have been deploying troops on this kind of mission since long before ISIS or the "war on terror" or the AUMF. The WOT may be the rationale behind this one. It could also be a request for military assistance from the government of Niger in dealing with cross border incursions from Mali.

Right. Our involvement in sub-Sahara Africa dates back to the Cold War.

But these current missions are related to the spread of radical Islam.

It seems as if this A team was drawn into the ambush. They were chasing some tango and walked into it.

Bad planning.

Common
10-21-2017, 06:40 AM
Via Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/20/niger-attack-war-vote-244012):

The 2001 AUMF was a complete and total abdication of Congress's responsibility to check the president's ability to wage war. It's long past time for Congress to do its job and take a much stronger hand in where we send our troops. The fact that we are currently involved in military action on virtually every continent in several countries all without a single Congressional vote except the one authorizing action in Iraq and Afghanistan SIXTEEN YEARS AGO is frankly ridiculous. This has been going on for far too long and needs to be reined in now. We need to start asking ourselves why American troops are being killed in places like Niger.
I absolutely agree, just this morning I read the Pentagon is recalling 1,000 retired fighter pilots to active duty because they do not have enough Pilots. Thats a first for me I never heard of anything like that before especially a lack of pilots.

The army is in need to troops volunteering has slowed of late. We are headed for reinstituting the draft and this time women will be drafted and I am totally against that.

Peter1469
10-21-2017, 08:35 AM
I don't see a draft in our future.

Just big bonuses.

donttread
10-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Congress standing up to the donkephant and the war machine? LOL. Get ready for a pointless, toothless, dog and pony show! Although I have heard that soldiers who are in America cannot be killed in some shit hole backass country at the same time. Imagine that!

MisterVeritis
10-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Congress standing up to the donkephant and the war machine?
This goofiness is why I cannot take you seriously. And, of course, megacorps.

LOL. Get ready for a pointless, toothless, dog and pony show! Although I have heard that soldiers who are in America cannot be killed in some shit hole backass country at the same time. Imagine that!
Right. Ships in harbor are safe. But that is not what ships are for.

Peter1469
10-21-2017, 11:04 AM
This goofiness is why I cannot take you seriously. And, of course, megacorps.

Right. Ships in harbor are safe. But that is not what ships are for.

Isolationists are as bad as Neocons.

They both must be resisted for the good of the nation.

Cletus
10-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Ships in harbor are safe. But that is not what ships are for.

Well said.

I like that. It expresses the thought perfectly.

MisterVeritis
10-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Ships in harbor are safe. But that is not what ships are for.

Well said.
I like that. It expresses the thought perfectly.
I know I read it somewhere. I no longer know where.

donttread
10-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Why the hell wasn't this blanket authority questioned until now? Sixteen years and nobody said : "Hey maybe we should curtail these state of emergency powers ?" Congress is useless, the whole lot of em!