PDA

View Full Version : Is President Obama doing enough to help and protect the environment?

Chloe
11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I've read his policies on his website but most of his policies talk about "reducing" a lot of things but it rarely if ever says that he will end certain things. For example, his policy on the website states that he wants to reduce mountaintop coal mining. Why just reduce? Why not end mountaintop coal mining among other things? It is extremely harmful to the environment, it pollutes, it's a nasty energy source, and it damages wildlife habitats around the mountain and the water systems that flow in and around those mountains as well. I understand that there would job loss but in my opinion if you weigh the options it is the only real option. So many damaging things happen in and around fragile ecosystems, rivers, forests, lakes, coast lines, oceans, wetlands, and so on that one day we are all going to wake up and have to wear protective equipment just to go kayaking in the closest river so that the polluted water wont touch our skin.

I really wish that we had a president that would be very brave with his decision making and do something that may not seem popular in the short term but will benefit us in the long term. There are so many environmentally harmful things that our government could put to an end to here in the United States, but unfortunately most are so invested in making money, signing contracts, and continuing on with the belief that we can just fix things later that it will most likely be too late when they wake up to the damage that is happening. I know it will take the effort of all countries in order to really make a lasting impact but the United States could try to at least be the example in my opinion.

Chloe
11-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Offshore oil drilling is another example. How many huge oil spills do we need to have before we stop doing things like that?

Peter1469
11-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I've read his policies on his website but most of his policies talk about "reducing" a lot of things but it rarely if ever says that he will end certain things. For example, his policy on the website states that he wants to reduce mountaintop coal mining. Why just reduce? Why not end mountaintop coal mining among other things? It is extremely harmful to the environment, it pollutes, it's a nasty energy source, and it damages wildlife habitats around the mountain and the water systems that flow in and around those mountains as well. I understand that there would job loss but in my opinion if you weigh the options it is the only real option. So many damaging things happen in and around fragile ecosystems, rivers, forests, lakes, coast lines, oceans, wetlands, and so on that one day we are all going to wake up and have to wear protective equipment just to go kayaking in the closest river so that the polluted water wont touch our skin.

I really wish that we had a president that would be very brave with his decision making and do something that may not seem popular in the short term but will benefit us in the long term. There are so many environmentally harmful things that our government could put to an end to here in the United States, but unfortunately most are so invested in making money, signing contracts, and continuing on with the belief that we can just fix things later that it will most likely be too late when they wake up to the damage that is happening. I know it will take the effort of all countries in order to really make a lasting impact but the United States could try to at least be the example in my opinion.

Obama is trying hard to kill coal. Too bad he isn't making a meaningful effort to replace it with something.

I suggest reading this: http://www.energyvictory.net/energy_victory_tour.htm

GrassrootsConservative
11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
He forced taxpayers to fund Solyndra. What more do you want? If the environment doesn't succeed by itself within capitalism, then let it fail.

Chloe
11-26-2012, 10:04 PM
He forced taxpayers to fund Solyndra. What more do you want? If the environment doesn't succeed by itself within capitalism, then let it fail.

Let the environment fail???

GrassrootsConservative
11-26-2012, 10:22 PM

That's a little bit of humor.

ptif219
11-27-2012, 12:05 AM

He is pushing windmills that kill endangered birds

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/05/09/interior-looks-to-expand-permits-for-killing-bald-eagles-to-accommodate-wind-energy/

GrassrootsConservative
11-27-2012, 12:19 AM

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/05/09/interior-looks-to-expand-permits-for-killing-bald-eagles-to-accommodate-wind-energy/

That's true. I've heard as many as 9,000 birds are killed every year due to these windmills. Guess Obama might eventually kill Big Bird someday too, eh? :D

Chris
11-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I've read his policies on his website but most of his policies talk about "reducing" a lot of things but it rarely if ever says that he will end certain things.

Sort of off topic but isn't this the same way he approaches the fiscal cliff, reducing increases in spending trivially but never actually cutting spending? It's the kind of President he is.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Hopefully they can find ways to have them without birds getting hit. I know those numbers are probably very small compared to how many animals are affected by our current ways of making energy and also the pollution around the world in the water and on land.

Cigar
11-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Far more are Killed by Airplanes

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4539063966499985&pid=1.7&w=201&h=140&c=7&rs=1

GrassrootsConservative
11-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Far more are Killed by Airplanes

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4539063966499985&pid=1.7&w=201&h=140&c=7&rs=1

That's fucked up of Obama then. He takes planes everywhere, sometimes his wife even takes a separate one.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think we will ever have an energy source that will be 100% safe for all animals at all times but it is important to try and minimize the pollution we make using our current energy and move away from energy that is not renewable. Windmills have killed birds which sucks and hopefully there can be a way one day to protect them from getting hit, but it is fact that more birds and animals of all kinds have died from deforestation, water pollution, habitat destruction, poaching, getting hit by a car on the road, and dozens of others things than windmills. The goal should be to decrease animal deaths and pollution as much as we possibly can while also protecting the environment for future generations of people and animals.

Cigar
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
That's fucked up of Obama then. He takes planes everywhere, sometimes his wife even takes a separate one.

Ain't it great being President of The United States :occasion1:

Chloe
11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
You can even look at it on a smaller scale. If you took 100 acres of forest and cut it down to make way for a community think about how many animals will die and be displaced because of that. When the animals have to move out of that area because the trees and habitats are being bulldozed they are forced into smaller and smaller areas. They have to cross road which they risk being hit by cars, they go through front yards and risk being shot by animal control or a person, they end up in a smaller ecosystem and compete with animals that were already there which results in animals dying, and then that area gets bulldozed and the cycle begins again with those animals being killed or forced out. People wonder why they don't see as much wildlife anymore unless they go hiking in protected areas, it's because animals have no where else to go in most cases but further and further away and into smaller and smaller areas, and they die off.

ptif219
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Hopefully they can find ways to have them without birds getting hit. I know those numbers are probably very small compared to how many animals are affected by our current ways of making energy and also the pollution around the world in the water and on land.

Simple stop the government subsidies and they will go away. Without subsidies they will make no money

nic34
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Conservatives can't and don't know how to 'conserve' anymore and will never admit the real problem, even though Rick Santorum pretty much spelled it out at a Values Voter Summit.

Santorum said “We will never have the elite, smart people on our side.”

Well, duh.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Conservatives can't and don't know how to 'conserve' anymore and will never admit the real problem, even though Rick Santorum pretty much spelled it out at a Values Voter Summit.

Well, duh.

I like your poem on the bottom of the page. It's nice. :smiley:

GrassrootsConservative
11-27-2012, 06:47 PM
I like your poem on the bottom of the page. It's nice. :smiley:

It's more relevant than you think. Our government is about to be taxing us more than ever with their business-killing regulations and eventually, when they're sitting on big fat piles of hard-earned money from other people, they'll realize that the only people prepared for the coming cliff is the Republicans who have been telling you all along that this is exactly what was going to happen after you stomp all over the constitution that has kept this country going for 200 plus years.

Those on food stamps and welfare will never be able to survive off all that paper.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 06:56 PM
It's more relevant than you think. Our government is about to be taxing us more than ever with their business-killing regulations and eventually, when they're sitting on big fat piles of hard-earned money from other people, they'll realize that the only people prepared for the coming cliff is the Republicans who have been telling you all along that this is exactly what was going to happen after you stomp all over the constitution that has kept this country going for 200 plus years.

Those on food stamps and welfare will never be able to survive off all that paper.

I'm sorry but I didn't get that at all from his poem. To me it's about how people are destroying the environment and all it's beautiful things for the sake of profit. Deforestation, air pollution, over fishing, water pollution, and so on is all done for the sake of money. When all of that is gone that's it. The financial cliff and politics I don't think were at the heart of the meaning of that poem in my opinion. But if he tells me I am wrong then I will apologize to you and him.

GrassrootsConservative
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry but I didn't get that at all from his poem. To me it's about how people are destroying the environment and all it's beautiful things for the sake of profit. Deforestation, air pollution, over fishing, water pollution, and so on is all done for the sake of money. When all of that is gone that's it. The financial cliff and politics I don't think were at the heart of the meaning of that poem in my opinion. But if he tells me I am wrong then I will apologize to you and him.

I don't want an apology. The only part of the poem that matters is the last line.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't want an apology. The only part of the poem that matters is the last line.

You are a very challenging person to have a conversation with, but I guess it makes it kind of fun to try. If that's the only line that matters to you then couldn't I just cherry pick as well and take the first line of your quote at the bottom and say something like "ask not what you can do for your government, because your government already has you covered" and just ignore the second sentence? It would be out of context and you'd probably get upset.

GrassrootsConservative
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
You are a very challenging person to have a conversation with, but I guess it makes it kind of fun to try. If that's the only line that matters to you then couldn't I just cherry pick as well and take the first line of your quote at the bottom and say something like "ask not what you can do for your government, because your government already has you covered" and just ignore the second sentence? It would be out of context and you'd probably get upset.

Everything you will ever read will have subjective meaning based on how you receive it.

Chloe
11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
FYI I also just read that President Obama will be auctioning off an additional 20 million acres of the Gulf of Mexico for oil and gas companies to exploit. It's so disappointing.

Chris
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Well, duh.

Tell us then why all those elite smart people haven't solve a single problem facing the world, let alone environmental problems.

nic34
11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
I think they have... you just haven't noticed.

patrickt
11-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Protecting the environment. President Obama's goal is to destroy the country.

Here's a lovely article on the environmentalists protecting shit on the Pacific Coast.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/26/feathers-flying-over-stench-in-la-jolla/

Chris
11-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Tell us then why all those elite smart people haven't solve a single problem facing the world, let alone environmental problems.

I think they have... you just haven't noticed.

IOW, you can't tell us.