PDA

View Full Version : Most Americans blame money for dysfunction in politics

Dr. Who
10-29-2017, 01:40 PM
How much, if at all, do you blame each of the following for causing dysfunction in the U.S. political system?

‘No opinion’ not shown.
​The Washington Post-University of Maryland poll (https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/10/28/National-Politics/Polling/release_497.xml) — conducted nine months into Trump’s tumultuous presidency — reveals a starkly pessimistic view of U.S. politics, widespread distrust of the nation’s political leaders and their ability to compromise, and an erosion of pride in the way democracy works in America.

The Xl
10-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Money in politics and no term limits are the biggest issues.

MisterVeritis
10-29-2017, 02:10 PM
How much, if at all, do you blame each of the following for causing dysfunction in the U.S. political system?
‘No opinion’ not shown.
​The Washington Post-University of Maryland poll (https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/10/28/National-Politics/Polling/release_497.xml) — conducted nine months into Trump’s tumultuous presidency — reveals a starkly pessimistic view of U.S. politics, widespread distrust of the nation’s political leaders and their ability to compromise, and an erosion of pride in the way democracy works in America.
Failure to comply with the Constitution is the underlying cause.

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 05:22 PM
People with money and extreme political views.

Koch brothers for instance.

Chris
10-29-2017, 06:37 PM
People with money and extreme political views.

Koch brothers for instance.

Koch Bros who by and large support libertarians, and we can all see how well Libertarians fair in politics.

Chris
10-29-2017, 06:37 PM
I agree with money in politic in the sense our government sells out to the highest bidders.

Peter1469
10-29-2017, 06:47 PM
The Establishment and their donors who actively block the 9th and 10th Amendments.

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 06:51 PM
Koch Bros who by and large support libertarians, and we can all see how well Libertarians fair in politics.

They support libertarians, but they push rwnj legislation and candidates?

Peter1469
10-29-2017, 06:52 PM
They support libertarians, but they push rwnj legislation and candidates?

They support people who support the Constitution. They don't support liberals or establishment GOP.

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 06:57 PM
They support people who support the Constitution. They don't support liberals or establishment GOP.

Lol, like Sam Brownback and his disastrous tax plans? Sammy is such a libertarian!

Peter1469
10-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Lol, like Sam Brownback and his disastrous tax plans? Sammy is such a libertarian!

The Establishment got us into $20T of debt- which make no mistake, we can never pay it back.

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 07:09 PM
The Establishment got us into $20T of debt- which make no mistake, we can never pay it back.

Brownback's tax planning got us nearly a billion dollars in the hole in less than 4 years. The Koch Bros were some of his biggest contributors and supporters.

Chris
10-29-2017, 07:11 PM

That and a certain free-market view...and against crony capitalism.

Chris
10-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Brownback's tax planning got us nearly a billion dollars in the hole in less than 4 years. The Koch Bros were some of his biggest contributors and supporters.

Even think Kansas is overspending?

Just because you disagree with cutting taxes doesn't mean those who do are evil.

Peter1469
10-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Slash spending.

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 08:07 PM
Even think Kansas is overspending?

Just because you disagree with cutting taxes doesn't mean those who do are evil.

Spending has been been cut and slashed and cut again for the last 4 years. The only thing that has accomplished is allowing wealthy folks to get tax cuts. It didn't spur any growth, quite the contrary, kansas lagged and is still lagging behind the pace of the rest of the nation in job and income growth. Hell earlier this year the republican led state legislature passed a big tax increase with a veto proof margin against his program because even they
Finally realized he is just a stooge for the Koch brothers and their ilk.

Green Arrow
10-29-2017, 08:28 PM
Now if most Americans could agree that both the GOP and the Democratic Party are wholly corrupt and bought out by the money in politics, and stop supporting them, we can do something about it.

Chris
10-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Spending has been been cut and slashed and cut again for the last 4 years. The only thing that has accomplished is allowing wealthy folks to get tax cuts. It didn't spur any growth, quite the contrary, kansas lagged and is still lagging behind the pace of the rest of the nation in job and income growth. Hell earlier this year the republican led state legislature passed a big tax increase with a veto proof margin against his program because even they

Cut some more. Live within your means. Koch's just want money left in the hands of those who generate wealth. The aim is not to increase revenue for the state.

resister
10-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Now if most Americans could agree that both the GOP and the Democratic Party are wholly corrupt and bought out by the money in politics, and stop supporting them, we can do something about it.
When 3rd parties have what? 3% of the vote? How do you plan to do that?

What is a 3rd parties plan to fix it?

Crepitus
10-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Cut some more. Live within your means. Koch's just want money left in the hands of those who generate wealth. The aim is not to increase revenue for the state.

I thought you were a libertarian?

Green Arrow
10-29-2017, 08:59 PM
When 3rd parties have what? 3% of the vote? How do you plan to do that?

What is a 3rd parties plan to fix it?

What’s the Republican plan to fix it? What’s the Democrat plan to fix it?

resister
10-29-2017, 09:42 PM
What’s the Republican plan to fix it? What’s the Democrat plan to fix it?
You are aware of their platforms, make a 3rd party voter of me.

Green Arrow
10-29-2017, 10:02 PM
You are aware of their platforms, make a 3rd party voter of me.

If you can see the actions of the two major parties and not be swayed, nothing I can say will matter.

Dr. Who
10-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Brownback was taking economic advice from Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore - the same guys who are currently advising Trump on supply-side economics. The only problem is that the reality didn't live up to the theory. What happened in Kansas - because business was paying no tax but personal income was being taxed, business owners started finding ways to reclassify their income as business income, thus avoiding personal taxes. Furthermore, businesses did not expand and invest more as a result of the tax savings. There was no increase in employment or a stampede of businesses wanting to relocate to Kansas and overall state revenues have fallen. In fact, 44.5 million had to be cut from public education, which was already suffering from underfunding. You don't attract business to a state where the educational system is substandard especially not these days and educated people are not going to want to move to a state where their only option is expensive private schooling for their kids.

resister
10-29-2017, 10:25 PM
If you can see the actions of the two major parties and not be swayed, nothing I can say will matter.
You have failed to make your case, just made it about me, no matter 3rd parties are a marginal, footnote.

Care to try again? No matter what flaws the 2 party system has, there is what, a 3% vote in an average election for 3rd party?

So again, I ask you, why is the 3rd party the answer? What do they plan to do so radically different, that will save the union?

Kacper
10-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Trump didn't spend a lot of money getting the nomination. Jeb Bush spent a mint and got nowhere fast. People overestimate how much money really matters. Money wouldn't matter at all if more people were politically engaged. Voters are largely mentally lazy things.

Captain Obvious
10-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Trump didn't spend a lot of money getting the nomination. Jeb Bush spent a mint and got nowhere fast. People overestimate how much money really matters. Money wouldn't matter at all if more people were politically engaged. Voters are largely mentally lazy things.

I don't disagree with your point however Trump is a bit of an outlier in a number of ways.

I would say, generally, because of as you say "voters are largely mentally lazy things", the more money thrown at shoving ads in their faces the more effective a campaign can be.

Candidates can also be said to be largely mentally lazy things considering they too often run on platforms designed to throw money at the campaign.

Kacper
10-29-2017, 11:51 PM
I don't disagree with your point however Trump is a bit of an outlier in a number of ways.

I would say, generally, because of as you say "voters are largely mentally lazy things", the more money thrown at shoving ads in their faces the more effective a campaign can be.

Candidates can also be said to be largely mentally lazy things considering they too often run on platforms designed to throw money at the campaign.
"We need more money to defeat...." is the constant refrain of those whose hands are in the cookie jar. It is almost never "We need more money to elect...". No amount of money would have resulted in me voting for Hillary. She was out of consideration by me on her own merits. Donald didn't seal the deal with me either, so I went with one of the third party candidates. Donald probably couldn't have sealed that deal either, but he was also rejected by me based on his own merits having nothing to do with Hillary. I am not a lesser of two evils voter. If I cannot find a candidate I am comfortable with, I will stay at home.

resister
10-30-2017, 01:28 AM
You have failed to make your case, just made it about me, no matter 3rd parties are a marginal, footnote.

Care to try again? No matter what flaws the 2 party system has, there is what, a 3% vote in an average election for 3rd party?

So again, I ask you, why is the 3rd party the answer? What do they plan to do so radically different, that will save the union? Green Arrow

Peter1469
10-30-2017, 01:46 AM
There has been no slashing in spending.

Also, if you cut taxes, those who pay taxes will pay less. If those who don't pay taxes get the benefits, you are not cutting taxes. You are redistributing wealth.

Crepitus
10-30-2017, 03:24 AM
There has been no slashing in spending.

Also, if you cut taxes, those who pay taxes will pay less. If those who don't pay taxes get the benefits, you are not cutting taxes. You are redistributing wealth.

Ok Pete, you know more about my state budget and processes from way out there on the east coast than I do from right here.

Common
10-30-2017, 04:10 AM
Politics is all about money, how can someone get elected to a 100,000 a year job and amass in the millions. Not hard to figure out.

Donors Like the Koch Bros, George Soros all the left and right mega million foundations. They keep us divided and assure the little guy that gets up everyday and busts his ass gets none of it.

Chris
10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Brownback was taking economic advice from Arthur Laffer and Stephen Moore - the same guys who are currently advising Trump on supply-side economics. The only problem is that the reality didn't live up to the theory. What happened in Kansas - because business was paying no tax but personal income was being taxed, business owners started finding ways to reclassify their income as business income, thus avoiding personal taxes. Furthermore, businesses did not expand and invest more as a result of the tax savings. There was no increase in employment or a stampede of businesses wanting to relocate to Kansas and overall state revenues have fallen. In fact, 44.5 million had to be cut from public education, which was already suffering from underfunding. You don't attract business to a state where the educational system is substandard especially not these days and educated people are not going to want to move to a state where their only option is expensive private schooling for their kids.

So your complaint is that those who generate wealth in production and trade figured out how to keep more of it and give less to the government. The correct reaction to that should be to cut spending and live within your means.

When educators play identity politics with mathematics they are not educationg. The problem with education runs deeper that the government not having the funds for it.

Arthur Laffer is a darn good economist and famous for the Laffer Curve...

https://i.snag.gy/HQOGSo.jpg

Taxes were probably still too high.

Dr. Who
10-30-2017, 05:13 PM
So your complaint is that those who generate wealth in production and trade figured out how to keep more of it and give less to the government. The correct reaction to that should be to cut spending and live within your means.

When educators play identity politics with mathematics they are not educationg. The problem with education runs deeper that the government not having the funds for it.

Arthur Laffer is a darn good economist and famous for the Laffer Curve...

https://i.snag.gy/HQOGSo.jpg

Taxes were probably still too high.
Nice graphic but it doesn't actually work as expected.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/unpacked/2017/07/11/the-kansas-tax-cut-experiment/