PDA

View Full Version : The G.O.P. Is D.E.A.D.

Crepitus
11-03-2017, 07:45 AM
The G.O.P. Is D.E.A.D. (http://fortune.com/2017/11/02/republican-party-virginia-governor-race/)

On July 19, 2016, Donald Trump officially became the nominee of the Republican Party.On Oct. 25, 2017, Donald Trump officially won control of the Republican Party.Throughout the 2016 election and the first nine months of Trump’s presidency, people differentiated between Republicans and Trump Republicans. That’s no longer possible. Now, if you’re a Republican, you either truly believe in Trump or you’ve just sold your soul to him; there are no other options.

This changed reality is already playing out in Virginia’s gubernatorial race. Long before Trump’s emergence in Republican politics, Ed Gillespie warned his party against going down the Trump road. In a 2006 Wall Street Journal op-ed, “Populists, Beware!” Gillespie cautioned Republicans to avoid the “political siren song” of anti-immigrant policies or plans to “build a bigger wall.”Fast-forward to his 2017 campaign: Gillespie is driving straight down Trump’s road at full speed, running anti-immigrant ads rife with racially motivated tropes, abandoning everything he urged his party to uphold.

The only way to win as a republican is to be a trumpkin, to be a racist demagogue with no morals who sways with the wind and kowtows to the rich.

Sad state of affairs, and also sad commentary on the republican base.

Crepitus
11-03-2017, 08:25 AM
Another:

Trumpism has replaced the Republican Party (https://badgerherald.com/opinion/2017/11/01/trumpism-has-replaced-the-republican-party/)

With anti-Trump U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) abruptly announcing his retirement, satire has now converged with reality. There is no longer a conservative, or even Never Trump wing of the Republican Party — there is only President Donald Trump, his true believers and Republican officeholders jockeying to sound like him.

Read more at the link.

Crepitus
11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
And yet another:

The 'Trumpification' of the California Republican Party is well underway (http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/nation/california/2017/10/30/trumpification-california-republican-party-well-underway/815458001/)

California’s Republicans may be a party divided between the defenders of the establishment and a more fervent Trumpian wing. But if you were to judge strictly by this past weekend’s gathering in Orange County, that war is over. This is Trump’s party now.

Details at the link.

Trish
11-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Yes, the end seems to justify the means. We could look at this two ways, 1) they can do more good remaining a public servants or 2) they care more about their own political career than the country.

Whichever argument you embrace it speaks to a crisis happening within the Republican party. I do think this crisis starting with the bastardization of the tea party. Electing Officials whose agenda was to destroy and obstruct rather than fix and help redefine government's role. President Trump capitalized on the dysfunctionality of those tea party elected officials and framing it to include the career Republican and Democrat politicians as swamp dwellers.

Ethereal
11-03-2017, 09:06 AM
The GOP is dead... even though they control most of the governments in America.

MisterVeritis
11-03-2017, 10:37 AM
I sense a crisis of winning.

Hoosier8
11-03-2017, 10:57 AM
The G.O.P. Is D.E.A.D. (http://fortune.com/2017/11/02/republican-party-virginia-governor-race/)

The only way to win as a republican is to be a trumpkin, to be a racist demagogue with no morals who sways with the wind and kowtows to the rich.

Yeah, yeah, the only people I know that are as obsessed with race as the left are the KKK.

Crepitus
11-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Yeah, yeah, the only people I know that are as obsessed with race as the left are the KKK.

Lol, I know you can't tell the difference, you being who and what you are, but it is there and the rest of us can see it just fine.

Hoosier8
11-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Lol, I know you can't tell the difference, you being who and what you are, but it is there and the rest of us can see it just fine.

Sure you can. Like the mentally deficient. The don’t know any better.

Captdon
11-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Last I heard they were still calling themselves republicans. The Democrats still use that title after almost nominating an Independent.

The party is changing as is the other party. It was republicans who nominated Trump in case you have forgotten.

Beevee
11-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Sure you can. Like the mentally deficient. The don’t know any better.

Then why do you support him when you know of his ailment?

KathyS
11-03-2017, 10:19 PM
We are watching the demise of the democrat party happen right before our eyes and it's the GOP that is imploding?

The GOP establishment are throwing childish fits over Trump's agenda and quitting one by one. Good. The "new" republican party will emerge focused on what the voters want instead of what the lobbyists that pay them want. It's going to take awhile, but the R's are light years ahead of the D's in that regard.

jimmyz
11-03-2017, 10:52 PM
Lol, I know you can't tell the difference, , but it is there and the rest of us can see it just fine.

Crep.... cut down on the caffeine. You seem a bit unhinged with the pronouncements of, you being who and what you are.

Captdon
11-04-2017, 12:14 PM

The rest of us? I see you being an unhinged loser. It's over for liberals. They though they'd elect a black and then a woman and be off to the races. Didn't happen and they don't have any plans.

resister
11-04-2017, 12:21 PM
We are watching the demise of the democrat party happen right before our eyes and it's the GOP that is imploding?

The GOP establishment are throwing childish fits over Trump's agenda and quitting one by one. Good. The "new" republican party will emerge focused on what the voters want instead of what the lobbyists that pay them want. It's going to take awhile, but the R's are light years ahead of the D's in that regard.

Tahuyaman
11-04-2017, 10:43 PM

That doesn't mesh with reality.

Tahuyaman
11-05-2017, 12:59 AM
The G.O.P. Is D.E.A.D.
The GOP is in a political civil war, but they aren't dead. The long time power structure is beginning to be pushed out. This is not a bad thing for them.

Cthulhu
11-05-2017, 01:41 AM
From the op - "... There are no other options."

Rubbish.

Trump sucks for sure. But there are worse options. Hillary? Please...

There were plenty of other options that would have been better for the nation.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

donttread
11-05-2017, 08:16 AM

One would think that both the mainstream repubs and mainstream dem parties would be "dead" after this last dog and pony show. However, people are stupid , especially in groups. Therefore both still have life somehow.

Crepitus
11-05-2017, 09:07 AM
One would think that both the mainstream repubs and mainstream dem parties would be "dead" after this last dog and pony show. However, people are stupid , especially in groups. Therefore both still have life somehow.

The republicans will still call it the GOP, but in reality it will be nothing but Trump's cheering section.