PDA

View Full Version : Students Were Offended By a Play That Mocks Political Correctness, So Brandeis...

Chris
11-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Some people say this stuff doesn't happen much. I say it's out of control.

Students Were Offended By a Play That Mocks Political Correctness, So Brandeis Cancelled It (https://reason.com/blog/2017/11/03/students-were-offended-by-play-that-mock)

Don't think political correctness is a problem on campus? Try producing a play about it.

Renowned playwright Michael Weller conceived a play, Buyer Beware, that mocks activist students and their hostility to politically incorrect humor. He planned to stage a production of it at Brandeis University, the institution that granted him a Creative Arts Award.

But administrators cancelled the production after students complained that its subject matter—easily offended students—was offensive, according to The College Fix.

Buyer Beware is about a student who discovers the works of the un-P.C. comedian Lenny Bruce and attempts to stage a Bruce-like production. This antagonizes activist students affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement, as well as the university, since an important donor is coming to visit on the day of the production and the administration would rather avoid controversy. (If this plot doesn't seem politically relevant to you, this is probably your first time reading one of my articles at Reason.)

The script apparently calls for a white actor to use the n-word in several instances. Bruce sometimes used offensive language, including the n-word, during his performances: not because he was a racist, but because he wanted to shatter their power. Weller's script calls for one of the characters, Ron, to quote Bruce: "Imagine if we just kept saying these words over and over again, sooner or later they'd become meaningless noise."

The activists who wanted the play cancelled have not actually read the script, but that doesn't matter to them, reports The Brandeis Hoot:

[Recent graduate Ayelet] Schrek, who lives in San Francisco, California, told The Brandeis Hoot that she's never read the script. "I trust the people who told me about it. I don't need to read the actual language to know what it is about," she said in a phone interview with The Hoot. Schrek argued that the department wanted to put it on for "political gain" and in a Facebook post wrote, "It is an overtly racist play and will be harmful to the student population if staged."

In other words, it would be harmful for Brandeis to even entertain the idea that activist students are too sensitive to emotional harm

And, once again, facts just don't matter to SJWs.

Don
11-04-2017, 01:43 PM
I wonder if it ever enters their minds that if they might be offended they could just not go to the play?

The Xl
11-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Ridiculous.

jigglepete
11-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Brandeis...fvcking ridiculous, they have a gorgeous campus, and I have a number of friends who have graduated from there, they would have protested the protesters...how times change.

Chris
11-04-2017, 01:52 PM
I wonder if it ever enters their minds that if they might be offended they could just not go to the play?

No, they're warriors, they must root out and fight oppression wherever they find it, er, think they find it. Ayelet Schrek, living in San Fransisco, found in on the other coast in Brandeis.

Chris
11-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Brandeis...fvcking ridiculous, they have a gorgeous campus, and I have a number of friends who have graduated from there, they would have protested the protesters...how times change.

I have another story coming up of liberal students starting to fight back against PC students.

KathyS
11-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Can we just put all the SJW into one area of the country say, central Nevada, and let them live in their safe space for the rest of their life? We can ship food and supplies to them, and have a special internet just for them. Good grief....

Safety
11-04-2017, 03:55 PM

You would think the same theory would apply to those that are offended by the NFL, but even the president commented on it offending him...snowflakes, and SJWs, amirite?

nathanbforrest45
11-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Always at least one clown in the bunch.

Kacper
11-04-2017, 04:03 PM
I have another story coming up of liberal students starting to fight back against PC students.

How about finding one where the administrators actually tell the SJW's to take a flying leap and stop letting the prisoners run the prison.

Chris
11-04-2017, 04:04 PM
How about finding one where the administrators actually tell the SJW's to take a flying leap and stop letting the prisoners run the prison.

There was one just a while ago. I think it was the University of Chicago.

Chris
11-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Kacper: The University of Chicago’s Support for Free Speech Sparks Opposition (https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2016/09/the-university-of-chicagos-support-for-free-speech-sparks-opposition/)

Last month, just before the new academic year began, the University of Chicago’s dean of students, John Ellison, sent a letter (reproduced in this piece) to all incoming students. It was meant to reaffirm the university’s commitment to free speech and inform the students that they shouldn’t expect the academic environment at Chicago to include “trigger warnings” or “safe spaces” and that the school will not tolerate behavior that disrupts intellectual discourse.

That it is necessary to tell college students that the school will treat them like intelligent adults and expects them to comport themselves properly is a sad commentary on the state of American higher education. Unfortunately, an ideology that’s hostile to free expression has been spreading across our higher education landscape like an invasive weed.

Thomas Lindsay (a former professor and senior college administrator) praises the university’s defense of free speech and unfettered debate, writing on Forbes, “With this move, it seeks to combat university censorship of speech and debate, which has become a national scandal…. [Our] colleges and universities, whose defining mission is the free, nonpartisan quest for truth, are becoming prisons of intellectual conformism.”

Dean Ellison’s letter was not, however, a random event. It was apparently a response to the position taken by the university’s student government, which in the spring voted to table a resolution condemning any student who obstructs free speech. Clearly, some UC students are not on board with the university’s principles and believe that keeping speakers off campus or shouting them down if they do speak is justified.

AZ Jim
11-04-2017, 04:26 PM
Always at least one clown in the bunch.Surprise! It's YOU.

Kalkin
11-04-2017, 04:35 PM
You would think the same theory would apply to those that are offended by the NFL,
It does. That's why ratings are down. No one is calling for football games to not be played, they're just choosing not to watch them. The free market is amazing.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:38 PM
You would think the same theory would apply to those that are offended by the NFL, but even the president commented on it offending him...snowflakes, and SJWs, amirite?
Not a good analogy.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:42 PM
In my albeit limited experience the vast majority of students are apolitical. The PC crowd is a small but extremely vocal minority.

Chris
11-04-2017, 04:47 PM
In my albeit limited experience the vast majority of students are apolitical. The PC crowd is a small but extremely vocal minority.

Just like the alt-right, they should remain marginal and not promoted and protected, as in shutting down this play by the university, even if their whimperings tug at paternalistic hearts.

Safety
11-04-2017, 04:49 PM
It does. That's why ratings are down. No one is calling for football games to not be played, they're just choosing not to watch them. The free market is amazing.

You must have missed the point where I said the president called for the players offending him to be fired, and the massive amounts of anger over the NFL here at tPF.

Safety
11-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Not a good analogy.

It was exactly on point, see my response above.

Chris
11-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Not a good analogy.

But but but the Trump forced the NFL to shut down the kneeling just like the SJWs got the university to shut down the play.

Oh, wait: Navy veteran declines to receive 'tainted' award at Saints game over player protests (http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_37f94694-bfc8-11e7-aa2b-2b54ce773263.html).

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:52 PM
It was exactly on point, see my response above.
The "massive anger" would be irrelevant even if it existed. There simply is no attempt to shutdown the NFL. People are just tuning out.

Safety
11-04-2017, 04:53 PM
“But, but, but his analog was so unfair, I mean who is he to mock the outrage of social cons over one act of snowflakeness and not others”

Agent Zero
11-04-2017, 04:54 PM
I just don't understand why the libertarians at Reason have to be so dishonest. Performance of the play was rescheduled until spring.

https://brandeishoot.com/2017/09/29/buyer-beware-strikes-controversy-remains-on-fall-lineup/

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:54 PM
But but but the Trump forced the NFL to shut down the kneeling just like the SJWs got the university to shut down the play.

Oh, wait: Navy veteran declines to receive 'tainted' award at Saints game over player protests (http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_37f94694-bfc8-11e7-aa2b-2b54ce773263.html).
Safety seems to have misunderstood what the topic here was. Oh well.

Agent Zero
11-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Safety seems to have misunderstood what the topic here was. Oh well.

'cept the university didn't shut down the play. Makes you look like a fool, doesn't it?

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:57 PM
“But, but, but his analog was so unfair, I mean who is he to mock the outrage of social cons over one act of snowflakeness and not others”

You're struggling here, Safety. The outrage itself is not the object of ridicule but the admin's response to it.

You're welcome.

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 04:57 PM
The hypocrisy sheriff just moseyed into town. I hear he's slow on the draw and quick to anger.

Kalkin
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM
You must have missed the point where I said the president called for the players offending him to be fired, and the massive amounts of anger over the NFL here at tPF.
The president has no power to fire the players. He does, however, have the same first amendment rights as you and I to express his opinions.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM
'cept the university didn't shut down the play. Makes you look like a fool, doesn't it?
But they did reschedule it in response to student protest.

After weeks of controversy, members of the theater department and administrators determined on Sept. 26 that “Buyer Beware,” a play by Brandeis alum, Michael Weller ’65 will be rescheduled for the spring semester.

Concerned students and faculty decided, after multiple group meetings, that the play will be performed on campus, but that it will become part of a course offered during the spring semester

Seriously?

Chris
11-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Nice twisting of my words but, no, it simply failed. No emotion.

It failed because the kneeling wasn't shut down, the play was. As already pointed out.

The analogy also fails in misunderstanding being a snowflake, it not simply disagreeing or being offended.

Tu quoque fail. Sorry.

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:00 PM
A temporary shutdown is still a shutdown. This concludes today's lesson.

Chris
11-04-2017, 05:06 PM
I see, the university and concerned students stood up to the snowflakes demands and rescheduled:

After weeks of controversy, members of the theater department and administrators determined on Sept. 26 that “Buyer Beware,” a play by Brandeis alum, Michael Weller ’65 will be rescheduled for the spring semester.

Concerned students and faculty decided, after multiple group meetings, that the play will be performed on campus, but that it will become part of a course offered during the spring semester.

The course “will explore the provocative issues raised in the play and provide an educational context for the work. In order to accommodate this coursework and the planning needed, performance of the play is being rescheduled from November to the spring. We are working with Michael on a precise date for the performance that fits his schedule,” wrote Susan Dibble, Interim Theater Department Chair.

@ https://brandeishoot.com/2017/09/29/buyer-beware-strikes-controversy-remains-on-fall-lineup/

Safety
11-04-2017, 05:07 PM
I just don't understand why the libertarians at Reason have to be so dishonest. Performance of the play was rescheduled until spring.

https://brandeishoot.com/2017/09/29/buyer-beware-strikes-controversy-remains-on-fall-lineup/

It gives the social cons here a chance to get their pitchforks and torches ready.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:09 PM
It gives the social cons here a chance to get their pitchforks and torches ready.
You're trying too hard.

Mister D
I see, the university and concerned students stood up to the snowflakes demands and rescheduled:

@ https://brandeishoot.com/2017/09/29/buyer-beware-strikes-controversy-remains-on-fall-lineup/
Giving them any such consideration is an embarrassment.

Ethereal
Yea, people who want drugs legalized, amnesty for illegal immigrants, and legal equality for gays are so socially conservative... :rofl:

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:10 PM
You're trying too hard.
The writers at Reason are now social conservatives.

LOL

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Yea, people who want drugs legalized, amnesty for illegal immigrants, and legal equality for gays are so socially conservative... :rofl:
But what in the world does this have to do with social conservatism?

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:13 PM
The writers at Reason are now social conservatives.

LOL
Even if they were what's the connection?

Agent Zero
11-04-2017, 05:15 PM

lol...you has to steal my link? Why didn't you investigate before posting the Reason drivel????

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/1b/91/c61b91173b2a263bfce0e32720b124cc.gif

More like anti-social cons.

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Here is a sample of Reason's coverage of Kaepernick:

Pence Walks Out on Colts Game Because Posturing and Performance Are What Politics Is (http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/08/pence-walks-out-on-colts-game-because-po)

Donald Trump Should Stop Telling NFL To Fire Players for Anthem Protests (http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/23/donald-trump-should-stop-telling-nfl-to)

Colin Kaepernick Didn’t Vote, and That’s Great (http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/14/colin-kaepernick-didnt-vote-and-thats-gr)

#VeteransForKaepernick, Compulsory Patriotism, Free Speech, and Dissent (http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/31/veterans-for-kaepernick)

The social conservatism positively radiates from these articles... :rofl:

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Nothing, of course, but to Safety, everyone who isn't a Democrat robot like him is a social conservative and Trump supporter.

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Even if they were what's the connection?

There is none. Safety is just derailing another thread with his hypocrisy policing.

Ethereal
11-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Why didn't you investigate before posting the Reason drivel????

The Reason article was entirely accurate. The play was shutdown because your fellow snowflakes got offended. That it's been rescheduled for a later date does not change that.

Agent Zero
11-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Giving them any such consideration is an embarrassment.

Could be. Most of same guys are homophobic racist misogynists.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:23 PM
You're just babbling now, Total Zero.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:26 PM
The Reason article was entirely accurate. The play was shutdown because your fellow snowflakes got offended. That it's been rescheduled for a later date does not change that.
He's not the brightest bulb...

Chris
11-04-2017, 05:26 PM

Nothing. It was an interesting twist, but distraction.

Chris
11-04-2017, 05:27 PM

Why the race card? Out of arguments? If you had any to begin with.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Why the race card? Out of arguments? If you had any to begin with.

He's just babbling now. He fancies himself a troll but he just sucks at it. There is nothing worse than a shitty troll. lol

Kalkin
11-04-2017, 05:35 PM
I love that this site has intelligent conservatives that constantly give intellectual bitchslaps to the emo liberal loons.

Safety
11-04-2017, 05:35 PM

I know it’s difficult being a student and all, but if English is going to be hard for you to understand, I wouldn’t try to be snarky if I were you. Read what I wrote, “social cons here”. Here being a key word, try not to make that mistake in the future.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 05:42 PM
I love that this site has intelligent conservatives that constantly give intellectual bitchslaps to the emo liberal loons.

In my experience, it's rare that progressives can hold their own in a discussion.

Kalkin
11-04-2017, 05:44 PM
In my experience, it's rare that progressives can hold their own in a discussion.
Too heavy on emotion and light on logic, they are.

barb012
11-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Diversity in this country will eventually take the rights of free speech away from us.

Mister D
11-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Too heavy on emotion and light on logic, they are. As someone with experience at political hotwire I think you will understand what I mean when I say they also have a vicious and hateful disposition

Tahuyaman
11-04-2017, 10:32 PM

Students Were Offended By a Play That Mocks Political Correctness, So Brandeis Cancelled It (https://reason.com/blog/2017/11/03/students-were-offended-by-play-that-mock)

believe it was Standing Wolf who says this stuff is rare or unusual on our university campuses.

Ethereal
11-05-2017, 01:22 AM
I know it’s difficult being a student and all, but if English is going to be hard for you to understand, I wouldn’t try to be snarky if I were you. Read what I wrote, “social cons here”. Here being a key word, try not to make that mistake in the future.

These "social cons" are just a figment of your imagination.

Ethereal
11-05-2017, 01:23 AM
Put down the crack pipe, dude.

Ethereal
11-05-2017, 01:24 AM
He's just babbling now. He fancies himself a troll but he just sucks at it. There is nothing worse than a $#@!ty troll. lol
Yea, he needs to learn from the master of trolling, Bethere, and start becoming obsessed with me. THAT is how it's done.

Cthulhu
11-05-2017, 01:35 AM
I love that this site has intelligent conservatives that constantly give intellectual bitchslaps to the emo liberal loons.Depends on the topic often. Many that are branded conservatives are nothing of the sort.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Cthulhu
11-05-2017, 01:37 AM
Put down the crack pipe, dude.Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

donttread
11-05-2017, 08:22 AM

Listen up kids ( and yes as long as they still act like that I will call them kids even if some of them are 35). We are bringing this play in because some students want to see it! Period. If you don't like the play's message. DON"T ATTEND IT! You have a right to protest but this is NOT YOUR PROPERTY so if you do anything disruptive or violent or attempt to harrass or obstruct those attending the play you will be arrested and we'll make sure some charge stays on your "resume" .
Free lesson in the real world they will eventually have to enter