PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Large Majorities Back Raising Taxes On Wealthy, Oppose Raising Medicare Age

Cigar
11-28-2012, 09:42 AM
The proposal to raise taxes on those earning more than $250,000 annually — one of President Obama's central campaign pitches — continues to be popular among a large majority of Americans, according to the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll out Wednesday.

Sixty percent of those surveyed support the proposal, compared with just 37 percent who are opposed. The debate over raising taxes on the high-income earners was one of the defining issues of the 2012 campaign, although polls have consistently shown broad support for the proposal backed by Obama and the Democrats.

Meanwhile, an even larger portion of Americans — 67 percent — are opposed to raising the age for Medicare coverage from 65 to 67. Some Republicans such as Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) have suggested raising the Medicare eligibility age as part of their proposal to avoid the so-called "fiscal cliff."

Democrats, Republicans and independents also unite in opposition to hiking the entry age for Medicare, with the opposition particularly stiff among Democrats. Opposition to such a change peaks (naturally) among those aged 50 to 64 — the very people who will soon reap those benefits.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/poll-large-majorities-back-raising-taxes-on-wealthy

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Raise raise taxes on those other people, not me. And don't cut my benefits. Cut theirs. That is why we won't be able to save our economy.

Cigar
11-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Raise raise taxes on those other people, not me. And don't cut my benefits. Cut theirs. That is why we won't be able to save our economy.

Everything and everyone under $250,000.00 should get a tax break.

Anyone here have a problem with getting a tax break for their first $250,000.00?

patrickt
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Or, put more succinctly, "Screw them but don't screw me." They are petty, selfish, bastards and they're too stupid to realize that what we've allowed to happen is going to screw everyone. So, the Democrats were right. Voting for Obama was like getting fucked.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Everything and everyone under $250,000.00 should get a tax break.

Anyone here have a problem with getting a tax break for their first $250,000.00?

Yes. Then we have over 50% paying zero in federal income taxes and they will continue to vote for more from the producers.

Also there is talk of ending the mortgage interest deduction. That will hit the middle class hard. For many people it would eliminate all of their discretionary spending power.

And another point. All Congress is going to do with new taxes is spend it on new stuff. The US does not have a tax revenue problem. We took in around $2.2T in taxes this year.

Mainecoons
11-28-2012, 06:04 PM
This poll just shows the core issue here with the American people and why they vote for an Obama because they think that the red ink can go on forever with no repercussions. The country is hooked on entitlements and the idea that there is a free lunch.

Soak the rich won't put a meaningful dent in the red ink. It is just demagoguery meant to distract the public from the reality that government spending is so far out of balance with the ability of the economy to support it that fixing it would be extremely painful and a death sentence for any politicians stupid enough to actually take the steps needed to do so. Romney wasn't going to fix it, his idea that you could grow your way out of this mess is just as much nonsense as Obama's idea that you can print money forever without paying the piper.

I've said it before--the U.S. is going to have to learn this lesson the hard way.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
If the tax on the wealthy brings in as much as they claim our deficits will still be over $1T a year..... That is not sustainable under any sane person's view.

Cigar
11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
It's going to happen one why or another :)

Mainecoons
11-28-2012, 08:05 PM
What, bankrupcy? Yup definitely going to happen. Hope you don't mind giving up those reverse discrimination government contracts you feed off of.

You are correct. Even if you think "way" is spelled "why."

Cigar
11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
What, bankrupcy? Yup definitely going to happen. Hope you don't mind giving up those reverse discrimination government contracts you feed off of.

You are correct. Even if you think "way" is spelled "why."

Will this happen before or after Obama takes your Guns?

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
It's going to happen one why or another :)

What next? We will still be spending over $1T more than tax revenue per year. Does that sound smart?

patrickt
11-28-2012, 09:14 PM
An acquaintance of mine whined endlessly that he didn't benefit from the so-called Bush Tax Cuts. Of course not. He paid no income taxes. None. Zip. Nada. But, he thought he should benefit by getting a check from the government.

We've caused this. We have a generation of really greedy deadbeats.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 09:24 PM
An acquaintance of mine whined endlessly that he didn't benefit from the so-called Bush Tax Cuts. Of course not. He paid no income taxes. None. Zip. Nada. But, he thought he should benefit by getting a check from the government.

We've caused this. We have a generation of really greedy deadbeats.

That is an area where the right needs to clarify for the American people: tax cuts necessarily go to taxpayers. If they go to non-taxpayers, that is not a tax cut. That is redistribution of wealth.