PDA

View Full Version : Two more House Republicans announce retirement

Bethere
11-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Rut roh!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-more-house-republicans-announce-retirement/

Two longtime GOP lawmakers announced their retirements Tuesday from the House of Representatives, adding to the growing list of Republicans electing to leave Capitol Hill under the Trump administration rather than face voters in next year's midterm elections.
Twelve-term Rep. Frank LoBiondo of New Jersey declared in a statement that "our nation is now consumed by increasing political polarization" and "there is no longer middle ground." The 71-year-old became the latest moderate Republican to leave Congress and open up a seat that will be ripe for Democrats to pick up as they fight to retake control of the House next year.
Then, several hours later, seven-term Rep. Ted Poe of Texas, a conservative, announced that he too plans to retire rather than seek re-election to another term next year. Poe, 69, whose district covers parts of Houston and northern suburbs, said in a statement that "Thanks to the lord, I'm in good health, but it's time for the next step." He added that he was looking forward to spending more time with his grandkids.
With the announcements from LoBiondo and Poe, the list of Republicans who have announced plans to retire rather than seek re-election is now near two dozen, compared to fewer than half-a-dozen Democrats. Although only a handful of the GOP seats opening up are highly competitive for the Democrats, the many retirements nonetheless are adding up to an increasingly rosy scenario for Democrats, who must pick up two dozen seats to win back the House.

leekohler2
11-08-2017, 05:21 PM
I guess we'll see what happens. Clearly, a win in Texas would be impossible.

nic34
11-08-2017, 05:23 PM

Not necessarily, there are still a lot of Richards dems there.

Bethere
11-08-2017, 05:24 PM

It depends on where in Texas it is. One thing is for certain. This is what parties who are about to be swept do.

leekohler2
11-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Not necessarily, there are still a lot of Richards dems there.
They clearly don't have the numbers though.

hanger4
11-08-2017, 05:32 PM
71 and 69 years old and it's some sort of revelation they're retiring.

Y'all funny.

jimmyz
11-08-2017, 05:49 PM
People retire everyday.

Should serve nachos or chips & dip at my November 8th party tonight?

Chris
11-08-2017, 06:15 PM
It depends on where in Texas it is. One thing is for certain. This is what parties who are about to be swept do.

Is that what happened to the Democrats?

Bethere
11-08-2017, 09:46 PM
People retire everyday.

Should serve nachos or chips & dip at my November 8th party tonight?

Happy meals.

#adultdaycarecenter

KathyS
11-08-2017, 10:18 PM
I can't speak to the other one, but Poe is pretty much worthless these days. Gotta wonder what his bank account looks like though.

jimmyz
11-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Happy meals.

#adultdaycarecenter

I have soft baby food for you. That is, if you are not crying and shitting your diaper like Nov 8th 2016 that is. Then we just hand you off to the nearest Prog heading to the womens restroom.

Live your misery again tonight loser!

Bethere
11-09-2017, 11:49 AM
I have soft baby food for you. That is, if you are not crying and $#@!ting your diaper like Nov 8th 2016 that is. Then we just hand you off to the nearest Prog heading to the womens restroom.

Live your misery again tonight loser!
Lol.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJjpn4-LHXAhVIzoMKHZcAC1kQFghoMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnymag.com%2Fdaily%2Fintelligencer %2F2017%2F10%2Fwatch-those-house-gop-retirements-for-2018.html&usg=AOvVaw1jCJBwMBX0zYvE_R3qmex

Don
11-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I wish John McCain would take a hint and retire too. Especially since he has brain cancer.

exotix
11-09-2017, 11:54 AM
71 and 69 years old and it's some sort of revelation they're retiring.

Y'all funny.

People retire everyday.

Should serve nachos or chips & dip at my November 8th party tonight?http://res.cloudinary.com/luvckye9s/image/upload/v1478265312/_0_Greenie_e4jazt.gif

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-are-the-republicans-retiring-from-congress-after-2018/

So far, 10 Republicans in the House and Senate have announced that they plan to retire from Congress at the beginning of 2019, three have either resigned or plan to resign soon and 10 have announced that they're running for another office.

Bethere
11-09-2017, 11:57 AM
http://res.cloudinary.com/luvckye9s/image/upload/v1478265312/_0_Greenie_e4jazt.gif

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/who-are-the-republicans-retiring-from-congress-after-2018/

So far, 10 Republicans in the House and Senate have announced that they plan to retire from Congress at the beginning of 2019, three have either resigned or plan to resign soon and 10 have announced that they're running for another office.

Those numbers will grow. Still, 23 is a gret start don't you think?

Captdon
11-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Yea, that they might want to enjoy old age can't be the reason. Them saying something means only means it to them.

The Dems will pick up House seats bit not enough to win control. That's normal for the party out of the WH.

The won't come close in the Senate.

Enjoy 2018 until election night. Another shocking evening of head-slapping for you then.

hanger4
11-09-2017, 12:14 PM
http://res.cloudinary.com/luvckye9s/image/upload/v1478265312/_0_Greenie_e4jazt.gif

Refutes nothing I said exo.

Amirite Bethere ??

Don
11-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Too bad some of those old democrats don't retire. Question to some of them: Don't you think its time to move on? Answer: I'm not going anywhere till I die! Reply: But you are dead and you're starting to stink!

leekohler2
11-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Those numbers will grow. Still, 23 is a gret start don't you think?

Fantastic start.

leekohler2
11-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Yea, that they might want to enjoy old age can't be the reason. Them saying something means only means it to them.

The Dems will pick up House seats bit not enough to win control. That's normal for the party out of the WH.

The won't come close in the Senate.

Enjoy 2018 until election night. Another shocking evening of head-slapping for you then.

And in 2020, you'll be the one slapping your heads. But do ignore this next year and stay on your present course. Please. We need you to.

Bethere
11-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Fantastic start.
It's the kind of thing that members of a party about to lose power do.

leekohler2
11-09-2017, 01:18 PM

It's a lot of them too. Yes, the prospect of taking the House next year are daunting. But gains will definitely be made. In 2020, it'll be even more pronounced.

hanger4
11-09-2017, 01:23 PM

There are 10 Dems in the House also not seeking re-election, what does that mean ??

Bethere
11-09-2017, 01:24 PM
It's a lot of them too. Yes, the prospect of taking the House next year are daunting. But gains will definitely be made. In 2020, it'll be even more pronounced.

I respectfully disagree. Flipping the house would not be that heavy a lift. Historically it almost always flips. And there are plenty of seats in play.

1. Regain the house,
2. Act like Republicans and impeach the president just for fun.

Tahuyaman
11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Rut roh!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-more-house-republicans-announce-retirement/

Two longtime GOP lawmakers announced their retirements Tuesday from the House of Representatives, adding to the growing list of Republicans electing to leave Capitol Hill under the Trump administration rather than face voters in next year's midterm elections.
Twelve-term Rep. Frank LoBiondo of New Jersey declared in a statement that "our nation is now consumed by increasing political polarization" and "there is no longer middle ground." The 71-year-old became the latest moderate Republican to leave Congress and open up a seat that will be ripe for Democrats to pick up as they fight to retake control of the House next year.
Then, several hours later, seven-term Rep. Ted Poe of Texas, a conservative, announced that he too plans to retire rather than seek re-election to another term next year. Poe, 69, whose district covers parts of Houston and northern suburbs, said in a statement that "Thanks to the lord, I'm in good health, but it's time for the next step." He added that he was looking forward to spending more time with his grandkids.
With the announcements from LoBiondo and Poe, the list of Republicans who have announced plans to retire rather than seek re-election is now near two dozen, compared to fewer than half-a-dozen Democrats. Although only a handful of the GOP seats opening up are highly competitive for the Democrats, the many retirements nonetheless are adding up to an increasingly rosy scenario for Democrats, who must pick up two dozen seats to win back the House.

Rut roh? How so?

It would be nice if everyone who's been there four terms or more would leave.

texan
11-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Northern Houston is a more conservative area. In a blue state like NJ I am guessing the seat sits right in the same type area or rural.

I do not believe the dems can win the house next year barring something out of left field. Virginia is a blue state and Tuesday was no surprise to anyone. So far there are no great indicators of mass change.

Bethere
11-09-2017, 01:28 PM
House Judiciary chairman announces retirement

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/359596-house-judiciary-chairman-announces-retirement

Bethere
11-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Northern Houston is a more conservative area. In a blue state like NJ I am guessing the seat sits right in the same type area or rural.

I do not believe the dems can win the house next year barring something out of left field. Virginia is a blue state and Tuesday was no surprise to anyone. So far there are no great indicators of mass change.

Well, it's a blue state now!

lol.

Bethere
11-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Tom Delay went to jail for his efforts to max out gop representation in texas through gerrymandering. The efforts, however, stood. There is little hope of flipping anything in Texas.

But there are plenty of flippable districts nationwide where the gop represents a district that went for either Hillary or Obama.

Flipping is easier if there is no incumbency effect.