PDA

View Full Version : Health care providers and IVP screenings

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently released a comprehensive report on the prevalence of sexual violence, stalking and IPV in the U.S. The report relays the alarming findings that 35.6 percent of women in the U.S. are raped, assaulted or stalked by intimate partners at some point during their lives, and approximately six percent experience these events in a given year. Men are also at risk: 28.5 percent report lifetime victimization and five percent report past year victimization. The annual health care costs for women who are experiencing ongoing IPV are 42 percent higher than those for non-abused women, and it has been estimated that the cost of providing health care to adult survivors of IPV ranges from $2.3 billion to $7 billion in the first year after the assault.

Now that the Affordable Care Act requires insurance coverage to include domestic violence screening of women, physicians are taking a new look at how they respond to patients who are domestic violence survivors. There are several steps doctors should take when patients report potential IPV, including acknowledging the admission of abuse. "We advise thanking the patient for trusting the provider with the information, and expressing concern about the patient's safety," explained lead author Jane Liebschutz, MD, MPH, FACP, an associate professor of medicine and social and behavioral sciences at BUSM and BUSPH respectively.

Health-care Providers can play critical role in reducing and preventing intimate partner violence (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121128182953.htm)

I found this interesting because it mentions the Affordable Care Act and the requirement to include domestic violence screening. Considering how large a problem IVP is, I think it's a great idea even if I don't necessarily agree with the overall legislation.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
As I said in another post, self defense classes should be part of the PE programs of all schools. There is not reason for women to be so easily overpowered. Jujitsu (Japanese, not Brazilian) evens the score.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 09:46 PM
As I said in another post, self defense classes should be part of the PE programs of all schools. There is not reason for women to be so easily overpowered. Jujitsu (Japanese, not Brazilian) evens the score.

I agree. Unfortunately, it's not always going to be effective but it could definitely only help at this point.

A big problem with domestic and sexual assault is that women don't report. They don't report for many legitimate reasons, (ex. trials often come down to putting the victim on trial and treating her like the sexual miscreant). Then the person who abuses or assaults women can do it again, and again, and again...

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I agree. Unfortunately, it's not always going to be effective but it could definitely only help at this point.

A big problem with domestic and sexual assault is that women don't report. They don't report for many legitimate reasons, (ex. trials often come down to putting the victim on trial and treating her like the sexual miscreant). Then the person who abuses or assaults women can do it again, and again, and again...

I have some experience as a prosecutor. Many women gravitate into these relationships. Even if they leave an abuser they will find another abuser to date.

KC
11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
I've seen some good documentaries on this. Most of the women say that the abuse came out from nowhere, that the guy at first seemed like a total gentleman but they found themselves in an abusive situation long after the man had earned their affection.

Sort of makes me a little queasy, to think that some women (and men too, to a lesser extent) will live with this for so long.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I have some experience as a prosecutor. Many women gravitate into these relationships. Even if they leave an abuser they will find another abuser to date.

It's true. Women who have been abused in some way tend to find themselves in similar relationships or situations over and over again. Part of that, in my opinion and based on articles that I have read, is that women who have been abused or assaulted tend to show that "damage" in different ways, (for example, I know for sexual assault survivors, they are much more likely to be assaulted again), which are seen by men and attract certain types of men who will end up abusing them. I also think that in some way it becomes familiar and comfortable. It's a tough cycle to break.

I think a lot of men who abuse their partners come off as very charismatic and charming before becoming absolute monsters.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I've seen some good documentaries on this. Most of the women say that the abuse came out from nowhere, that the guy at first seemed like a total gentleman but they found themselves in an abusive situation long after the man had earned their affection.

Sort of makes me a little queasy, to think that some women (and men too, to a lesser extent) will live with this for so long.

That is true for some. Many just date losers like drug deals like it was a habit.

KC
11-28-2012, 10:02 PM
That is true for some. Many just date losers like drug deals like it was a habit.

Yeah, I guess the type of woman who is willing to share such private and embarrasing information probably isn't typical of your average domestic violence victim.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:03 PM

When I was about 21 I dated a man that seemed very nice. We had a great time together, and a good relationship. Then he suddenly decided that choking me was something that was exciting to do during sexual encounters. It took me about 3 months to realise that his good behaviour (of which there were so many examples) didn't justify going through that trauma. It also took confiding in several friends and having them repeatedly tell me that this was not normal and to not accept it. Even though I knew how wrong it was, I enjoyed the rest of the relationship so much that I was willing to try and rationalize reasons to stay in the relationship.

It's such a weird situation and very hard to describe my thought-patterns and why I didn't just clock him and get the hell out.

KC
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
When I was about 21 I dated a man that seemed very nice. We had a great time together, and a good relationship. Then he suddenly decided that choking me was something that was exciting to do during sexual encounters. It took me about 3 months to realise that his good behaviour (of which there were so many examples) didn't justify going through that trauma. It also took confiding in several friends and having them repeatedly tell me that this was not normal and to not accept it. Even though I knew how wrong it was, I enjoyed the rest of the relationship so much that I was willing to try and rationalize reasons to stay in the relationship.

It's such a weird situation and very hard to describe my thought-patterns and why I didn't just clock him and get the hell out.

Wow. I truly can't even imagine what that must be like. I'm glad to hear that oyu got out of it though.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Intimate Partner Violence. Well. I'm sure we all needed another category.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow. I truly can't even imagine what that must be like. I'm glad to hear that oyu got out of it though.

It's probably surprisingly common - a lot of my close friends have had similar issues in various forms where their partners in some way abused them, whether verbally, through manipulation, passive-aggressive behaviour or outright physical abuse to varying degrees. There are a lot of good men out there, but the few that are horrible sort of ruin it for the rest. Then there are also the females who engage in abusive behaviours towards male, though obviously less common.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
It's probably surprisingly common - a lot of my close friends have had similar issues in various forms where their partners in some way abused them, whether verbally, through manipulation, passive-aggressive behaviour or outright physical abuse to varying degrees. There are a lot of good men out there, but the few that are horrible sort of ruin it for the rest. Then there are also the females who engage in abusive behaviours towards male, though obviously less common.

oh. Not so much actual physical violence but manipulation and verbal abuse heh? Passive aggressive behavior.

Better watch out guys.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
oh. Not so much actual physical violence but manipulation and verbal abuse heh? Passive aggressive behavior.

Better watch out guys.

Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion?

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion?

yes. this is the biggest bunch of bushitt i believe i've listened to today. well. this and the plastic bag nazis.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
yes. this is the biggest bunch of bushitt i believe i've listened to today. well. this and the plastic bag nazis.

Why do you think this is bullshit? You don't think domestic abuse is a problem, or you don't agree with screening for it in order to prevent or reduce it?

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm astounded that we are now classifying difficult people AT BEST as Abusers with the moniker IPV or IVP whatever. What a great idea...any woman can...at the moment pMS sets in, can report her unsuspecting sex partner as an IPV if he fails to show the proper sympathic response.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Why do you think this is bullshit? You don't think domestic abuse is a problem, or you don't agree with screening for it in order to prevent or reduce it?

no i do not approve of screening. It opens too many doors to bureaucratic abuse and God knows we already have quite a bit of that.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm astounded that we are now classifying difficult people AT BEST as Abusers with the moniker IPV or IVP whatever. What a great idea...any woman can...at the moment pMS sets in, can report her unsuspecting sex partner as an IPV if he fails to show the proper sympathic response.

IVP is just a new term for domestic violence and a more specific definition. Accusations of domestic assault that are not legitimate will not go anywhere in terms of law enforcement - there must be proof.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
no i do not approve of screening. It opens too many doors to bureaucratic abuse and God knows we already have quite a bit of that.

Screening could greately reduce the rate of domestic violence or at least provide victims with the opportunity to open up or to know they're safe to open up. It has nothing to do with bureaucracy.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
IVP is just a new term for domestic violence and a more specific definition. Accusations of domestic assault that are not legitimate will not go anywhere in terms of law enforcement - there must be proof.

oh right. I'm sure we've all heard that one before.

Conley
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Warning. Stop with the personal attacks and off topic remarks.

Calypso Jones
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
how was that a personal attack? I attacked the substance of the post.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM

That is definitely not normal. I know some people are into that, but they usually work that out with their partner ahead of time.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM

In many places in the US if there is a domestic abuse call to the police, someone is going to jail, no questions asked.

Conley
11-28-2012, 10:36 PM
how was that a personal attack? I attacked the substance of the post.

If you are going to post in this thread make a contribution as explained here:

Other Discussions are for more serious discussion and stricter moderation. The rules apply but, on the positive side, we will also require that all posts make a contribution be it information, question or argumentation, and on the negative side we will not allow trolling, inflammatory remarks, personal attacks, or off-topic comments.

Harassment of members is not permitted in any of the forums.

Adelaide
11-28-2012, 10:38 PM
In many places in the US if there is a domestic abuse call to the police, someone is going to jail, no questions asked.

Ah, well, here usually what happens unless there is clear evidence of a physical fight/abuse, is the polce will arrive and send one of the individuals to stay elsewhere for the night for them to "cool down". Instant trip to jail would only apply if there had clearly been something very bad going on. If children are involved, there would likely be a social worker involved to talk to them.

Peter1469
11-28-2012, 10:43 PM

I was dating a girl with really bad manic depression and one day she flipped out on me after sex. So I handed her a butcher knife and asked her to kill me if she was really upset with me. Of course I wasn't going to allow that to happen- I was young and irresponsible then, but I have martial arts training, so there was no danger to me. She ended up self referring herself to the funny farm. But I did go visit her to see how she was doing. I had a strange feeling that the docs weren't going to let me out of the big locked door. It was a very strange experience. That event eventually ended our relationship. I couldn't sleep when she was over.....

Calypso Jones
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Screenings. does that mean that if a 'client' goes in to the doctor and/or therapist automatically they are evaluated WITHOUT said client permission and perhaps knowledge and asked personal, intrusive questions. Does this not have the potential for the examiner to say, 'this person is being abused (whether they know it or not) because her sexual partner displays passive-agressive behavior that i discern from some of her answers.

Adelaide
12-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Screenings. does that mean that if a 'client' goes in to the doctor and/or therapist automatically they are evaluated WITHOUT said client permission and perhaps knowledge and asked personal, intrusive questions. Does this not have the potential for the examiner to say, 'this person is being abused (whether they know it or not) because her sexual partner displays passive-agressive behavior that i discern from some of her answers.

Could come in many different forms, and clients/patients are evaluated for things all the time without fully being aware of what or why - that's a given; they're not doctors.

I would guess that a first place to start would be to look into a client's history if they come in with a broken arm (for example) and see if they've had multiple previous admissions for similar injuries. Maybe they might look closer at an x-ray or imaging studies to see if there is evidence of abuse, (they do this with children regularly). Maybe when asking if they're in a relationship/marriage they might just simply ask how it's going.

You could also just do a Google search to answer your own questions - there are examples of verbal IVP screenings that can easily be found. Such as... this one (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:HQN1xJwcNPkJ:stoprelationshipabuse.org/pdfs/Domestic%20Violence%20Screening%20Tips.pdf+domesti c+violence+screening+example&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShQFwukBsOcKFzlDWvTsAMIyi9I601LEetoU5bU wN0EeXy8psCJAcJZWtrWgpVBByjYHYXUj6AvjhahCZeANgKG_O hXc-8vxG2y4r3kQYkQ-rB2RNiE_yZRGwXuM8ZOL1A65_Vk&sig=AHIEtbSFdqdEEKJZRhibCQ2UuAj9OaSz7A)