PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Are Just Figureheads

Ethereal
11-13-2017, 07:41 PM
One "tradition" that almost every president goes through is being exposed to the unelected power structure in Washington DC. This exposure is what explains why presidents typically go back on their word AFTER they get elected. They know what the common American wants and in many cases the president wants the same thing, so, during the campaign, their rhetoric reflects this. But then the president goes to Washington and is confronted by a veritable army of careerists, lobbyists, and financiers who have sunk their teeth into the government like a vampire. That is when the president realizes that while the American people may have sent him to Washington, it is the unelected power structure that holds the real power.

Don
11-13-2017, 08:07 PM
I think they have to know that before they run. They can't be that naive. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a president won the election and then exposed them? Told the American people in no uncertain terms the depth of the treason? Tell Americans of all races and religions and political perspective how they have been used and divided one against the other to further the conspiracy?

Common
11-13-2017, 08:13 PM
I think thats true to a degree but I also believe most of the lie and say they will give you pie in the sky to get the votes.

I used to believe the Potus was a figurehead until Obama ruled by executive order. I realize other presidents did it prior but it became well known during obamas terms.

Dr. Who
11-13-2017, 08:40 PM
I think they have to know that before they run. They can't be that naive. Wouldn't it be wonderful if a president won the election and then exposed them? Told the American people in no uncertain terms the depth of the treason? Tell Americans of all races and religions and political perspective how they have been used and divided one against the other to further the conspiracy?
I suspect that bad things would happen to he or she if they did so, with the kind of money at stake. I wouldn't count on the secret service for protection from the powers that be.

ripmeister
11-14-2017, 09:56 AM
I would add one other observation to this and that is that Presidents generally get way too much credit for things that go right and blame for things that go wrong, especially when it comes to the economy.

Chris
11-14-2017, 10:09 AM

Tell the truth? Never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6UbYHCkoZs

Kacper
11-14-2017, 11:59 AM
One "tradition" that almost every president goes through is being exposed to the unelected power structure in Washington DC. This exposure is what explains why presidents typically go back on their word AFTER they get elected. They know what the common American wants and in many cases the president wants the same thing, so, during the campaign, their rhetoric reflects this. But then the president goes to Washington and is confronted by a veritable army of careerists, lobbyists, and financiers who have sunk their teeth into the government like a vampire. That is when the president realizes that while the American people may have sent him to Washington, it is the unelected power structure that holds the real power.

Which is why POTUS should be a Prime Minister instead of a separately elected official

donttread
11-14-2017, 01:57 PM

I agree.

Carlsen
11-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Which is why POTUS should be a Prime Minister instead of a separately elected official

överens med, if USA will do this then they must change political system. the change to PM system will give party in power more controlle over government

donttread
11-15-2017, 06:54 AM
I would add one other observation to this and that is that Presidents generally get way too much credit for things that go right and blame for things that go wrong, especially when it comes to the economy.

Congress, K street and the megacorps are the real problem.

Captdon
11-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Trump is the proof. He's President and can't get much done. He's not one of the insiders. He's a threat to both parties. He's a threat to any lobbyist.No one will allow him to change how our government really works.

I'm sure the TDS folks will jump on this but I'll stand on it.

The Xl
11-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Mostly true. Some don't follow the script and meet an unfortunate end, like Kennedy. Trump, I can't get a read on at this point. He seems somewhere in the middle.

ripmeister
11-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Trump is the proof. He's President and can't get much done. He's not one of the insiders. He's a threat to both parties. He's a threat to any lobbyist.No one will allow him to change how our government really works.

I agree there is some truth to this. I simply can't get by what a bozo Trump is. We need a chimera of something like Bernie and Trump, a disrupter who is isn't crazy at the same time.

nic34
11-15-2017, 04:15 PM

They could even uncover UFO secrets.

Tahuyaman
11-15-2017, 05:54 PM
A US president is not simply a figure head. They set the course of government. They promote a particular set of policy or legislative ideas. They can increase of decrease various regulations which impact everyone based on their own power. They represent the nation on issues of foreign policy. They are the Commander in Chief of the military. Those aren't the functions of a figure head.

Tahuyaman
11-15-2017, 05:56 PM

He hasn't had the legislative impact, but he's certainly reversed a lot of horrible regulations imposed by his predecessor. Plus he's had a big impact upon the federal judiciary.

Carlsen
11-15-2017, 07:15 PM
A US president is not simply a figure head. They set the course of government. They promote a particular set of policy or legislative ideas. They can increase of decrease various regulations which impact everyone based on their own power. They represent the nation on issues of foreign policy. They are the Commander in Chief of the military. Those aren't the functions of a figure head.
I agree US President is not just figure head and he can recommend many things that you say. but in order to do this, he must have approval of Congress. The Parliament system he need only the approval of majority of his political party