PDA

View Full Version : Texas sheriff calls out anti-Trump truck decal, sparking free speech debate

Chris
11-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Texas sheriff calls out anti-Trump truck decal, sparking free speech debate (http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/texas-sheriff-trump-truck-decal-trnd/index.html)

https://i.snag.gy/CZUeGO.jpg

...A Texas sheriff on Wednesday suggested criminal charges are possible for the owner of a white truck that bears a profane message for President Donald Trump and his supporters, sparking a debate about the line between obscene words and freedom of speech.

A disorderly conduct charge targets a person who intentionally "uses abusive indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place" or "makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place" that "tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace."

Free speech?

DGUtley
11-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Free speech has limits according to the SC. Though offensive, it is free political speech.

Ravens Fan
11-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Hmm, interesting. On one hand I agree that it is covered under free speech. On the other, could anybody go on good morning America and say the same thing without being censured? At least on tv, you can change the channel. If you and your kids are stuck in traffic behind this guy though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris
11-16-2017, 02:31 PM
The local law seems clear. A charge would be premature and it hasn't caused a road rage incident...yet.

nathanbforrest45
11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Interesting, yet I can't write
FUCK HILLARY
on this forum

Safety
11-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Depends on the ordinance of the municipality having jurisdiction. Here's Georgia's for example...

O.C.G.A. 40-1-4 (2010)
40-1-4. Stickers, decals, or emblems containing profane or lewd words describing sexual acts, excretory functions, or parts of the human body

No person owning, operating, or using a motor vehicle in this state shall knowingly affix or attach to any part of such motor vehicle any sticker, decal, emblem, or other device containing profane or lewd words describing sexual acts, excretory functions, or parts of the human body. Any person who violates any part of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $100.00.

Just because it used Trump's name, doesn't make the LEO's action political.

Cletus
11-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Just because it used Trump's name, doesn't make the LEO's action political.

Agreed. Hopefully, he would enforce the law regardless of whose name was displayed.

Chris
11-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Yet the Constitution is the law of the land and speech has been incorporated.

MisterVeritis
11-16-2017, 06:45 PM
I never put goofy decals on my cars. I could see this individual having his truck vandalized just for the fun of it.

resister
11-16-2017, 06:50 PM
I never put goofy decals on my cars. I could see this individual having his truck vandalized just for the fun of it.
He is asking for it.

Beevee
11-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Free speech has limits according to the SC. Though offensive, it is free political speech.

Strange you should mention that because when I claim that free speech is abused in the US, someone always spits in my face.

resister
11-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Strange you should mention that because when I claim that free speech is abused in the US, someone always spits in my face.
Who?21082Fish on!

Chris
11-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Follow up: Woman with crude anti-Trump truck decal arrested for fraud (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-with-expletive-filled-anti-trump-truck-decal-arrested/)

Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office records show Karen Fonseca was arrested about 2 p.m. Thursday on an outstanding fraud warrant issued in August by the Rosenberg Police Department. She was in the county jail Thursday night with bond set at $1,500.

Fonseca was released from jail Thursday night after her husband posted her bond, CBS affiliate KHOU reported.

"I'm almost certain it does have to do with (the truck decal)," she said after her release. "People abuse the badge, and in my opinion, money talks. When you're in politics, people know how to work the system."

A sheriff's spokesman has not answered a message seeking details behind the warrant.

Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls had threatened Fonseca with a disorderly conduct charge over the decal. However, District Attorney John Healey said he didn't think it would have been a prosecutable case.

Fonseca had said she would not remove the decal. She said she had been stopped by law officers, but that they have no grounds to issue a citation.

"It's not to cause hate or animosity," the 46-year-old Fonseca told the Houston Chronicle. "It's just our freedom of speech and we're exercising it."

Mug shot:

https://i.snag.gy/6yXf9m.jpg

Chris
11-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Local stories just never end...

TEXAS WOMAN AT CENTER OF EXPLETIVE-FILLED TRUMP DECAL CONTROVERSY TO START SELLING (http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/san-antonio/news/2017/11/24/texas-woman-at-center-of-expletive-filled-trump-decal-controversy-to-start-selling)

The Texas woman who was arrested on unrelated charges after driving around with a truck bearing an expletive-filled message to President Donald Trump will sell her anti-Trump bumper stickers, according to KHOU.

She and her children will also sell "F-Troy Nehls" stickers. Each sticker will cost $15 and the money raised, which will be sold by the Fort Bend County Democratic Party, will benefit a voter registration drive, the Houston-based news station reports.

Fonseca said Monday that Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls "messed with the wrong person" when deputies arrested her last Thursday on an old, unrelated warrant for fraud.

gamewell45
11-25-2017, 12:21 PM
$#@! HILLARY
on this forum

That's because this forum is privately owned and they have an unfettered right to limit/censor content should they so decide to.

Chris
11-25-2017, 12:45 PM
FUCK HILLARY
on this forum

But you just did. Fuck is only filtered if you have filtering turned on.

(Settings > My Settings > Edit Profile > Profanity Filter at the very bottom.)

Beevee
11-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Who?21082Fish on!

Is that you?
Boasting Again?

resister
11-25-2017, 01:47 PM

Who?21082Fish on!

Is that you?
Boasting Again?
So who spits in your face?

Beevee
11-25-2017, 01:51 PM
So who spits in your face?

Ah! Like being told I have no business commenting on a constitutional amendment and should fuck off back to Canada?
Not you and I didn't imply that it was, but it doesn't take much thinking to guess.

donttread
11-29-2017, 07:49 AM

It's classless, but suggest rather than saying the offensive words. Back off boss hog.

DGUtley
11-29-2017, 07:51 AM

I have no idea what you are talking about, but I've long advocated that it is the most offensive of speech that is the most deserving of protection.