PDA

View Full Version : The source of our convictions

spunkloaf
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/10/24/141649929/how-we-become-sports-fans-the-tyranny-of-fathers?sc=fb&cc=fp

Tell me what you think of this and how it applies to real-world influences, traditions, beliefs, etc.

Mister D
10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Let me guess.... ::)

we belieev in God because our parents did. is that where we're going, Spunk?

Conley
10-24-2011, 11:14 AM
The outcome of the study seems somewhat obvious to me, unless I'm missing something? The biggest influence on most kids' lives are his parents, and there are a lot more male sports fans than female sports fans, so it stands to reason that Dads would be the biggest influence. Also screw everything about the Yankees and the Red Sox. ;D

Mister D
10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
On the other hand, my father and older brother are Giants fans. When I was really into football as a kid I liked Dallas.

MMC
10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
The outcome of the study seems somewhat obvious to me, unless I'm missing something? The biggest influence on most kids' lives are his parents, and there are a lot more male sports fans than female sports fans, so it stands to reason that Dads would be the biggest influence. Also screw everything about the Yankees and the Red Sox. ;D

Oh yeah.....so after all that time. Teaching him to tackle and play. The fundlementals, the rules the morals, then when they win the big game and are being interviewed. Why is it they always Shout out Luv Ya Mom! Number 1 Mom! Miss Ya Mom!

Dads Get no respect.....I tell ya! Hrmmmpf! >:(

Mister D
10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Spunk is trying ot make a larger point about how people supposedly get all their beliefs from someone else and never think about them...or something like that.

Conley
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I think Spunk is trying ot make a larger point about how people supposedly get all their beliefs from someone else and never think about them...or something like that.

That would make a lot more sense but Spunk didn't give us much to go on in his original post.

The article itself is imo largely crap. Also saying that Ted Turner and Che Guevara wouldn't cheer for their dads' teams. OK ???

Conley
10-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Oh yeah.....so after all that time. Teaching him to tackle and play. The fundlementals, the rules the morals, then when they win the big game and are being interviewed. Why is it they always Shout out Luv Ya Mom! Number 1 Mom! Miss Ya Mom!

Dads Get no respect.....I tell ya! Hrmmmpf! >:(

That's because these days most sports stars aren't even sure who their dad is :-\

Mister D
10-24-2011, 12:01 PM

That would make a lot more sense but Spunk didn't give us much to go on in his original post.

The article itself is imo largely crap. Also saying that Ted Turner and Che Guevara wouldn't cheer for their dads' teams. OK ???

Che certainly picked the wrong team to cheer for...Too bad he didn't pick the Bears!

Conley
10-24-2011, 12:11 PM
:D :D :D

spunkloaf
10-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Sorry you don't see it the way I do. End of topic I guess.

Elibe
10-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Sorry you don't see it the way I do. End of topic I guess.

how do you see it?

spunkloaf
10-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Society picks alot of our norms, and they are not born out of anything natural or pure. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong, but that's how it is.

Mister D
10-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Society picks alot of our norms, and they are not born out of anything natural or pure. That doesn't necessarily make them wrong, but that's how it is.

Welcome to reality, Spunkloaf. I'm glad you now realize that civilization is passed on from generation to generation.

Conley
10-25-2011, 08:20 AM

I probably wouldn't have been such a big drinker if my parents weren't. At some point though the child becomes and adult and it become a conscious choice whether or not to continue the habits of our elders. Every day is a chance to improve the rest of your life. ;)

Mister D
10-25-2011, 09:14 AM

I probably wouldn't have been such a big drinker if my parents weren't. At some point though the child becomes and adult and it become a conscious choice whether or not to continue the habits of our elders. Every day is a chance to improve the rest of your life. ;)

Exactly. The same applies to all norms. At some point in your life you make decision about who you are and what you believe.

spunkloaf
10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Welcome to reality, Spunkloaf. I'm glad you now realize that civilization is passed on from generation to generation.

Doesn't make it correct or perfect. You seem to embellish that everything we do in our culture is righteous and just. I think it's because you value your roots more than you value progress or adaptation. In my mind, it is arrogance. In yours, it is strength and respect.

Conley
10-30-2011, 11:10 AM
What would you like to see change in our culture Spunk? I think the younger generations are already diverging from the cultural and traditional norms and we'll see more of that as they move into positions of power in our culture.

Mister D
10-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Doesn't make it correct or perfect. You seem to embellish that everything we do in our culture is righteous and just. I think it's because you value your roots more than you value progress or adaptation. In my mind, it is arrogance. In yours, it is strength and respect.

Doesn't make what righteous or just? Civilization? Culture? If your argument is against the former I'm not sure what I can say.

To value your roots is to value yourself. The two are inseparable. Your culture/civilization/kin are what gives your individuality meaning. Modern culture tends to celebrate the rootless or atomized individual. Mister D is in open revolt against modern norms. 8)

Mister D
10-30-2011, 01:00 PM
You are not a world unto yourself, Mr Spunkloaf.

jgreer
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
There is no need to always be going after Spunkloaf.

Mister D
10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
There is no need to always been going after Spunkload.

Spunkload. I like that. ;D

Stop brown nosing, greer. I go after you both.

Conley
10-30-2011, 01:16 PM

:roflmao:

spunkloaf
10-30-2011, 01:40 PM

That's your problem, not mine.

Mister D
10-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Not sure what you mean.

spunkloaf
10-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Not sure what you mean.

I didn't really get what you meant either so it's all good.

MMC
10-30-2011, 02:41 PM

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1308898366792&id=6dda72924ede3f51706c3e27deea6e81&url=http%3a%2f%2fi182.photobucket.com%2falbums%2fx 229%2ferikasbuddy%2fElmerFudd1.jpg

;D >:D

spunkloaf
10-30-2011, 07:42 PM

I present a challenge to him, that's why he needs to.

Mister D
10-30-2011, 08:15 PM

We're here to discuss issues. 8)

spunkloaf
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM

We're here to discuss issues. 8)

In all honesty I'd probably like you less if you weren't so...you. :-*