PDA

View Full Version : Drivers License for Immigrants

patrickt
11-30-2012, 06:57 AM
I thought some might be interested in how obtaining a drivers license works for immigrants. I went in yesterday to obtain a license renewal but the process was similar to when I got the original license. I had to have my passport, my valid visa, proof of address where I live--I used a utility bill but that doesn't work for voting, and my expired driver's license.

It took me about fifteen minutes. They took my fingerprints digitally--that was cool--took my photo, made copies of my documentation and I walked out with a spiffy new drivers license.

Perhaps the U.S. would like to copy Mexico's process for immigrants.

Agravan
11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
We should also copy Mexico's immigration laws that are enforced at their southern border. When they complain, point out that we are just doing what they do :).

patrickt
11-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I would prefer we have voter ID cards like Mexico.

I live close to the southern border but I'm sure I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about how Mexico deals with illegal aliens as are people in the U.S.

I was in Immigration one day when they brought in 14 young men from Guatemala. I'd guess a couple were no more than fourteen. They were all interviewed, given lunch, and a bus showed up to take them back to the border.

roadmaster
11-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I thought some might be interested in how obtaining a drivers license works for immigrants. I went in yesterday to obtain a license renewal but the process was similar to when I got the original license. I had to have my passport, my valid visa, proof of address where I live--I used a utility bill but that doesn't work for voting, and my expired driver's license.

It took me about fifteen minutes. They took my fingerprints digitally--that was cool--took my photo, made copies of my documentation and I walked out with a spiffy new drivers license.

Perhaps the U.S. would like to copy Mexico's process for immigrants. They would claim it was racist if we did it.

patrickt
12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
They would claim it was racist if we did it.

Of course, but since saying "Chicago" is racist and ordering "white meat" at Thanksgiving dinner are already racist I think it's safe to say that anything we do will be called racist so it's absolutely and totally meaningless. If you comment on President Obama's glaring incompetence it's called racist. Who cares if racist call us racist?