PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Ranked From Worst to Best

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 07:19 PM
The 2017 list of Presidents rankings has been published.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/presidents-ranked-from-worst-to-best-presidential-historians-survey-2017/44/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=1861761859&nan_pid=1861761859&ad_id=5267170

My favorite is Harry S. Truman

Safety
11-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Haven't even looked at the list yet, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of butthurt from the right side of the aisle.

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Haven't even looked at the list yet, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of butthurt from the right side of the aisle.

Hopefully there won't be; at least that's not the intention anyhow; it's just interesting to read the comments; some of the mid-1800 presidents were some real characters.

resister
11-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Imagine that Trump worst ranked, been in office one year (speaks to the credibility (or Lack) of CBS)

Low hanging confirmation bias, for the consumption of the gullible.

Abby08
11-21-2017, 08:50 PM
How can you rank a President who's still in his first year?

resister
11-21-2017, 09:08 PM
One really must be gullible to swallow 21128

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 09:27 PM

One really must be gullible to swallow 21128

Imagine that Trump worst ranked, been in office one year (speaks to the credibility (or Lack) of CBS)

Speaking of confirmation bias, the article didn’t rank Trump at all and specifically said they only rank presidents after they leave office.

This is why you should always read the article first.

resister
11-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Speaking of confirmation bias, the article didn’t rank Trump at all and specifically said they only rank presidents after they leave office.

How embarrassing, did you scroll thru the link? Evidently not..

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 09:36 PM
How embarrassing, did you scroll thru the link? Evidently not..

Yes, I did. I read every word. It mentioned Trump at the very beginning, but did not rank him.

jimmyz
11-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Its kind of subjective no. I waited in gas lines when Ford and Carter were president. Paid $4.50 a gallon when Bush the younger was president. Got a smoking deal on a mortgage during Clinton. And so forth and so on.

The better question is.... When did the POTUS NOT effect you the most. The answer is...when you made decisions NOT based on current POTUS and partisan Congressional policies.

resister
11-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Yes, I did. I read every word. It mentioned Trump at the very beginning, but did not rank him.
So why does it have his picture by #1?

Grokmaster
11-21-2017, 10:25 PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/presidents-ranked-from-worst-to-best-presidential-historians-survey-2017/44/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=1861761859&nan_pid=1861761859&ad_id=5267170

Fuck CBS news and their lyingass Fake News Bullshit.

This is what REAL AMERICANS SAID after a YEAR-LONG, NATIONWIDE SURVEY, the ONLY EXTNSIVE NATIDE SURVEY EVER DONE on the QUESTION:

Americans Say Reagan Is the Greatest U.S. President

http://news.gallup.com/poll/146183/americans-say-reagan-greatest-president.aspx

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 10:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about it; in 4 years he'll get a ranking. In the mean time surely there has to be a president on the list you like? see where his ranking is on the list. check out the presidents from the 1800's; there are some real characters there.

resister
11-21-2017, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't worry about it; in 4 years he'll get a ranking. In the mean time surely there has to be a president on the list you like? see where his ranking is on the list. check out the presidents from the 1800's; there are some real characters there.
I went back and looked again, no Trump Pic by #1 this time, but it was there.

It is just an opinion list, after all.

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 10:32 PM
$#@! CBS news and their lyingass Fake News Bull$#@!.

This is what REAL AMERICANS SAID after a YEAR-LONG, NATIONWIDE SURVEY, the ONLY EXTNSIVE NATIDE SURVEY EVER DONE on the QUESTION:

Americans Say Reagan Is the Greatest U.S. President

http://news.gallup.com/poll/146183/americans-say-reagan-greatest-president.aspx

Hey pal, don't yell at me because you don't like what they printed. Click off of it and find something else to amuse yourself with.

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 10:33 PM

Basically yes that is all that it is.

Grokmaster
11-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Hey pal, don't yell at me because you don't like what they printed. Click off of it and find something else to amuse yourself with.
Who's yelling at you? I merely cited the ONLY comprehensive survey ever taken on the subject, instead of the Standard Left Bullshit Media "polls".

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 10:49 PM
It doesn’t. It has Abraham Lincoln’s picture by #1 because Lincoln is ranked #1.

You’d know Trump isn’t ranked if you read the article instead of just looking at pictures.

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Who's yelling at you? I merely cited the ONLY comprehensive survey ever taken on the subject, instead of the Standard Left Bullshit Media "polls".
It’s not a poll. They asked a bunch of historians to rank the presidents and ranked them by the average of all the lists.

gamewell45
11-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Who's yelling at you? I merely cited the ONLY comprehensive survey ever taken on the subject, instead of the Standard Left Bull$#@! Media "polls".

You may not know this but when you print in caps, you are in effect "yelling". Furthermore, is it possible for you to view anything posted without looking at it partisan? I may not like some of the rankings but I sure don't get all bent out of shape over it. If you don't like what you see, simply click off of it and move on; honestly there is really no need for all the theatrics.

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 10:51 PM
I don’t agree with some of the rankings, but honestly it’s pretty minor stuff, so overall I’d say the list is pretty solid.

Green Arrow
11-21-2017, 10:54 PM
(Also, shameless plug, I did my own ranking back in February - http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/78960-The-Presidents-Ranked )

leekohler2
11-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Obama. The first time a president ever stood up for people like me. I never thought I would live to see the day, but I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFKh3eHK3Y

No president has ever done that before. That's why Obama wins my vote.

And yes, I did play hockey in Cleveland that year at those games.

This video was shown the opening ceremonies. My parents, who are staunch Republicans were there. They stood up and cheered, even though they were not Obama fans.

jimmyz
11-21-2017, 10:59 PM
(Also, shameless plug, I did my own ranking back in February - http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/78960-The-Presidents-Ranked )

I miss Subdermal (PBUH)

Other than that tid-bit I see some miss-alignment in your list. But we would have to pitch quarters against a wall to settle things. :tongue:

Devil'sAdvocate
11-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Obama. The first time a president ever stood up for people like me. I never thought I would live to see the day, but I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFKh3eHK3Y

No president has ever done that before. That's why Obama wins my vote.

And yes, I did play hockey in Cleveland that year.
That's completely unbiased.

leekohler2
11-21-2017, 11:05 PM
That's completely unbiased.

S*** on it all you want. Sounds like freedom to me. Sounds like the promise of my country. Sounds like the USA I am proud of.

Do you disagree? Please, by all means tell us what was terrible about that speech.

jimmyz
11-21-2017, 11:20 PM
S*** on it all you want. Sounds like freedom to me. Sounds like the promise of my country. Sounds like the USA I am proud of.

Do you disagree?

But gay US Olympians and before them Greek pedophiles have participated in the games since their inception. Why do we need a sub-set Games when it is not needed?

Please address the original Greek games and their predilection to sodomize boys as an accepted practice in their culture. Thanks Lee.

Dr. Who
11-22-2017, 12:09 AM

It's not always all about Trump. If he shows up as the first it's because there is insufficient info to rank him at this point. For some people he will be the worst today, but we are talking a few hundred years of Presidents and retrospect is useful in comparing leaders.

Adelaide
11-22-2017, 12:11 AM
Jimmyz and leekohler2 have been thread banned.

The Xl
11-22-2017, 01:50 AM
Shitty list.

Common
11-22-2017, 02:28 AM
It's not always all about Trump. If he shows up as the first it's because there is insufficient info to rank him at this point. For some people he will be the worst today, but we are talking a few hundred years of Presidents and retrospect is useful in comparing leaders.

Best worst doesnt matter, if everyone made a list each one would be different. To me how could anyone not put jimmy carter near the very bottom of the barrel. Its just opinions

Ethereal
11-22-2017, 04:48 AM
My, what a constructive post.

Ethereal
11-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Yes to Washington, Jefferson, and JFK; nod to Eisenhower; hard pass on Lincoln, FDR, Teddy, and Truman.

Safety
11-22-2017, 09:19 AM
My, what a constructive post.Yet, I was spot on with my prediction. Sorry that you are angry about it.

Tahuyaman
11-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Why would you say that without first reading the list? Is it because you suspect that the list is heavily influenced by a left wing bias?

Mini Me
11-22-2017, 09:35 AM
I think JFK and Bobby are underated; bullets stopped them in their tracks.

JFK wanted to end the war in Vietnam, break up the CIA, dump the FED banking cartel, and most importantly break up the MOB, which had a stranglehold on America back then. That took enormous guts, and it cost them their lives! J.Edgar Hoover refused to go after the Mob, and even denied their existance, and was instrumental in getting MLK whacked.

Those bullets changed history forever!

Crepitus
11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Why would you say that without first reading the list? Is it because you suspect that the list is heavily influenced by a left wing bias?

Nope, history.

Mini Me
11-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Its kind of subjective no. I waited in gas lines when Ford and Carter were president. Paid $4.50 a gallon when Bush the younger was president. Got a smoking deal on a mortgage during Clinton. And so forth and so on.
Politics, by its very nature is SUBJECTIVE! That's why we should not take hard line stances set in concrete. Its so hard to even know what is true or not true!
The better question is.... When did the POTUS NOT effect you the most. The answer is...when you made decisions NOT based on current POTUS and partisan Congressional policies.

Safety
11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Nope, history.Exactly.

Ethereal
11-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Yet, I was spot on with my prediction. Sorry that you are angry about it.
That's funny.

Ethereal
11-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Historians operate from biases, just like everyone else. Many "mainstream" historians are biased heavily in favor of presidents who aggrandized and expanded the powers of the state over the individual, the community, and the States. That is why Lincoln and FDR are always ranked so highly in these kinds of lists. Naturally, tPF's resident Marxists will tend to agree with that interpretation. But that's all it is, is an interpretation.

Kalkin
11-22-2017, 10:50 AM
The real list:
First place- Reagan, the Great Communicator
Last place- obama, the marxist divider

Tahuyaman
11-22-2017, 11:19 AM

Nope, history.

Exactly.

How would one know it they admittedly did not read the list?

If one one doesn't read it, but claims "right wing" types will be "butt hurt" over the list, that suggests someone just wants to start a food fight instead of seriously discussing the merits.

Tahuyaman
11-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Nope, history.

Some of your liberal friends should heed that advice too.

However, if one views the President's job as increasing the size and scope of government and creating legislation which puts more of our personal liberties and responsibilities in the hands of government, FDR should be number 1.

Green Arrow
11-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Historians operate from biases, just like everyone else. Many "mainstream" historians are biased heavily in favor of presidents who aggrandized and expanded the powers of the state over the individual, the community, and the States. That is why Lincoln and FDR are always ranked so highly in these kinds of lists. Naturally, tPF's resident Marxists will tend to agree with that interpretation. But that's all it is, is an interpretation.
Nobody, least of all the historians polled or the article author, attempted to pass this off as anytging but opinion.

Tahuyaman
11-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Nobody, least of all the historians polled or the article author, attempted to pass this off as anytging but opinion.What else can it be if not opinion? Opinions on the greatness of a president are mostly based on one's individual biases.

Ransom
11-22-2017, 03:25 PM
As I've exchanged with a many members here where a knowledge of our history is required.....I'd give more credence to a best to worst Diva list from this current membership. As a forum....I'd give us a D-.

Used to be an F though, so......moving ion the right direction.

Ransom
11-22-2017, 03:28 PM
George. Thomas. Abe. Teddy. Ronald. And Hillary not becoming President I consider the top 6.

Bethere
11-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Lol.

Epic.

If your post were a movie it could only be produced in IMAX.

Bethere
11-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Agree with Abe, but I place him in a tie w/ FDR.

They are the most consequential of the presidents. That's probably the most objective way to assess them. Certainly, without either America would be a far different place.

It's easier to maintain a worst list. We'll start that with Buchanan, Hoover, W, and Trump.

Mini Me
11-22-2017, 04:38 PM

There are Marxists on this board? Name names!
You brand anyone a Marxist who disagrees with you!

Bethere
11-22-2017, 04:55 PM
There are Marxists on this board? Name names!
You brand anyone a Marxist who disagrees with you!

Amazing, huh? Call him a Republican in response. See what happens.

Mini Me
11-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Some of your liberal friends should heed that advice too.

However, if one views the President's job as increasing the size and scope of government and creating legislation which puts more of our personal liberties and responsibilities in the hands of government, FDR should be number 1.
That is true!

FDR really took on a lot of Gov.t, but at the time we really needed it with the Depression raging and all. The New Deal was a good deal for Americans!

Peter1469
11-27-2017, 10:53 PM
That is true!

FDR really took on a lot of Gov.t, but at the time we really needed it with the Depression raging and all. The New Deal was a good deal for Americans!
The New Deal was the death of the Founder's dream.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 09:15 AM
The New Deal was the death of the Founder's dream.That is where the entitlement mentality was born.