PDA

View Full Version : With Democratic sweep in Virginia, progressives hopeful

Peter1469
11-24-2017, 10:39 PM
With Democratic sweep in Virginia, progressives hopeful (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/with-democratic-sweep-in-virginia-progressives-hopeful/2017/11/23/ba4fca40-cbb8-11e7-b0cf-7689a9f2d84e_story.html?utm_term=.47dfb08d9b3e)

The Washington Post is dreaming with this article. Sure the democrats have ended the GOP super majority in the House of Delegates, but the Senate is still majority GOP. The last election only means the GOP can't ram legislation through. Which is good.

If progressives think they are going to get gun control, licenses for illegals, etc, they are dreaming.

Unlike outgoing Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), Northam will take office in January alongside a General Assembly where Republican clout has been significantly diminished. The GOP has lost its two-thirds majority in the House of Delegates and may lose control of the chamber entirely, depending on the outcome of three races that have yet to be settled. One thing is for certain — the election flipped 15 GOP seats, so that the current count is 49 Democrats to 51 Republicans.

The Senate remains 21 Republicans to 19 Democrats with Democrat Justin Fairfax breaking any ties in his capacity as the newly elected lieutenant governor.

Progressive groups see the shifting balance of power as an opportunity to advance legislation that had floundered when Republicans had a stronger majority.

“There are advocacy groups in Virginia where there are cobwebs everywhere because they are pushing things that would never fly with Republicans in control,” said Josh Stanfield, who leads a PAC devoted to electing progressive House members. “Now they can have real tangible demands. Every constituency can come and say, ‘Look, there’s no longer an excuse not to get this done.’

texan
11-24-2017, 10:57 PM
I am sure they are hopeful!

This tax bill passes and this already improved economy from the Obama mudsville economy and starts really ramping into growth its over. Obama showed what progressives can do..........f your GDP growth up with stupid uncompetitive regulations. Remember the new normal? Keep these people away from the economic buttons.

Crepitus
11-25-2017, 12:38 AM
With Democratic sweep in Virginia, progressives hopeful (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/with-democratic-sweep-in-virginia-progressives-hopeful/2017/11/23/ba4fca40-cbb8-11e7-b0cf-7689a9f2d84e_story.html?utm_term=.47dfb08d9b3e)

The Washington Post is dreaming with this article. Sure the democrats have ended the GOP super majority in the House of Delegates, but the Senate is still majority GOP. The last election only means the GOP can't ram legislation through. Which is good.

If progressives think they are going to get gun control, licenses for illegals, etc, they are dreaming.

I don't think anyone is planning on pushing a democratic agenda at this point. Just minimizing the damage republicans can do.

Peter1469
11-25-2017, 12:49 AM
I don't think anyone is planning on pushing a democratic agenda at this point. Just minimizing the damage republicans can do.

Read the article.

I don't like the religious bent of the GOP here. I want gridlock. Get the government out of our lives. We have had too many refugees from Maryland. They voted for more and more taxes and now some are coming here and will do the same.

Kacper
11-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Not all them Virginia democrats are progressives. The DNC can pipe dream but the democratic senators in Virginia tend to tilt more to the right.