PDA

View Full Version : Chinese 'maternity hotel' sparks outrage in California suburb

DonGlock26
12-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Chinese 'maternity hotel' sparks outrage in California suburb

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/02...#ixzz2DttbHrSJ (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/02/chinese-maternity-hotel-sparks-outrage-in-california-suburb/#ixzz2DttbHrSJ)

CHINO HILLS, Calif. – Residents of a Southern California suburb are protesting against a hilltop home that they say serves as a maternity center for Chinese mothers paying thousands of dollars to give birth to so-called "anchor babies."
Dozens picketed a Chino Hills intersection on Saturday, holding signs that read "No Birth Tourism" and "Not Here! Not in USA!"
The city's mayor tells the San Bernardino Sun that rooms in the house have been rented out to pregnant Chinese women until they give birth.
Protesters say they don't want to see a business in a residential area.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/02/chinese-maternity-hotel-sparks-outrage-in-california-suburb/#ixzz2DttbHrSJ

Mister D
12-02-2012, 05:52 PM
This and other incidents like it make such a mockery of the 14th Amendment I'm surprised anyone, including the neocons at National Review, would continue to advise against its repeal.

keymanjim
12-02-2012, 10:31 PM
There are no such thing as anchor babies. The concept of birthright citizenship was derived from the supreme court and is NOT a mechanism of the 14th Amendment.
There are two constitutionally recognized ways of becoming a citizen:

Through naturalization and after renouncing any foreign citizenship.
Through birth so long as they are born without foreign citizenship.

Being born to even one foreign parent negates any claim to US citizenship at birth.

Adelaide
12-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I remember reading about this several months back (the issue, not this specific instance). I find it troubling. While I don't think it's right and I think people should have to follow the actual process of becoming a citizen and not skirt around the rules, I really feel badly for people who are so desperate to come to a place like the US (or Canada) that they'll do just about anything. Spending weeks in a ship with no supplies, no facilities, for example, (famously happened off the BC coast in August with Sri Lankan refugees and Tamils).

I've always lived here with the luxuries that so many people do not have, so I support allowing a high number of immigrants into Canada - but it must be through legal means. I can definitely understand why Americans are frustrated with illegal immigrants or people abusing the system in order to gain citizenship. What is worst, in my opinion, is that they ruin it for people who do follow the appropriate routes to citizenship.

patrickt
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Reminds me of the hotels union goons and other liberals use when they're in a strange state and need to register to vote. Of course, many Chinese are smart enough to come to the U.S. to have their babies. U.S. liberals would go have their babies in Venezuela to get citizenship there. Or maybe Cuba. Or even France. They don't want U.S. citizenship, though. They've never in their adult life been proud of America. I'm rather proud I was born a U.S. citizen and became an American because so many people from around the world wish they had been born a U.S. citizen and work so hard to become Americans.