PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Gutierrez Won’t Run For Reelection

Common
11-28-2017, 06:20 AM
Democratic Rep. Luis Gutierrez of Illinois, a leading progressive voice on immigration, is expected to announce his retirement Tuesday.
Gutierrez, one of President Donald Trump’s most ardent critics and a member of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, is expected (https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/gutierrez-illinois-house-democrat-261092) to withdraw his nominating petitions Tuesday just one day after initially filing them, Politico reports.

The decision seems to have been made recently as Gutierrez’s spokesman, Douglas Rivlin told Politico he had not been informed of the news.

“I don’t know anything. I don’t know anything,” Rivlin said late Monday.
Gutierrez is a leading progressive immigration reform advocate and was arrested (http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/15/dem-lawmaker-arrested-protesting-outside-white-house/) while protesting Trump’s decision to rollback the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) provision in August. The long serving Illinois lawmaker has also joined a number of his colleagues on the House Judiciary Committee in calling for Trump’s impeachment.
Ahead of his official announcement, Cook County Commissioner Jesus “Chuy” Garcia and Chicago Alderman Carlos Ramirez Rosa have already expressed interest in taking Gutierrez’s seat, which he’s held since 1993. The newcomers have just one week to file the 800 signatures required for inclusion on the ballot.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/27/breaking-gutierrez-wont-run-for-reelection/

stjames1_53
11-28-2017, 06:25 AM
could it be that after leading the charge to impeach Trump, he knows it'll fail?

Common
11-28-2017, 06:49 AM
I dunno but im really going to miss him :)

stjames1_53
11-28-2017, 07:07 AM
I dunno but im really going to miss him :)

sure, ya are :wink:

midcan5
11-28-2017, 07:22 AM
One of the good guys, not a corporate sloth like most of the house. Maybe at sixty three he wants to enjoy life and say goodbye to the stupidity that has become our politics since money not America's values manages their minds? Or maybe being Hispanic he grabbed some woman's ass. lol

http://www.ontheissues.org/IL/Luis_Gutierrez.htm

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this — in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything — even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Maybe he realizes that the job as Congressman was never intended to be a life-time position.

One of the good guys, not a corporate sloth like most of the house. Maybe at sixty three he wants to enjoy life and say goodbye to the stupidity that has become our politics since money not America's values manages their minds? Or maybe being Hispanic he grabbed some woman's ass. lol

http://www.ontheissues.org/IL/Luis_Gutierrez.htm

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this — in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything — even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

Grokmaster
11-28-2017, 07:31 AM
The entire nation will be better off with the La Raza agent not in our Congress.

Crepitus
11-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Maybe he realizes that the job as Congressman was never intended to be a life-time position.

Maybe he's sick of swimming in Trump's swamp.

Grokmaster
11-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Maybe he's sick of swimming in Trump's swamp.

Yeah, it's gonna be a lot tougher for illegals to vote, now....don't you mean Franken and Conyers' Swamp?

DGUtley
11-28-2017, 09:26 AM
Not a fan. I don't understand how someone sworn to uphold the law written by his fellow members constantly wanted others to violate said laws.

waltky
11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Oh...

... thought ya meant the head o' the UN...

... nevermind.