PDA

View Full Version : North Korean missile lands in waters off Japan’s coast: Japanese PM

Common
11-28-2017, 02:42 PM
North Korea fired a missile that was believed to have crashed into the waters off Japan, the Japanese prime minister's office said early Wednesday local time (Tuesday afternoon ET).

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ordered an emergency meeting of Cabinet ministers after North Korea's first ballistic missile launch since Sept. 15, when one flew over northern Japan and into the Pacific Ocean.

"A missile was launched from North Korea which appears to have landed within Japan's exclusive economic zone," Abe's office tweeted. "As soon as new information comes in, we will let you know."
The exclusive economic zone is a legal designation established by the United Nations Law of the Sea (http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part5.htm).
The South Korean military conducted a "precision missile-firing drill" as a response to the launch, a South Korean military official told NBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/28/north-korea-fires-ballistic-missile-report.html

Safety
11-28-2017, 03:53 PM
The missile flew for 50 minutes and reached an altitude of 2800 miles. To put in perspective, the International Space Station is only 250 miles above the earth's surface.

Yea, it has the ability to hit Kansas.

Don
11-28-2017, 05:04 PM
The Japanese are smart and they have the industry. They should develop breaking edge technology to shoot down any missile that comes their way. It would also protect them from any Chinese nuclear threat. I believe if they started on a crash program to do it it would scare China so bad that they might invade North Korea and take out the young Un. Maybe Taiwan should do the same thing. The U.S. should start hinting that we will help Japan with nukes of their own.

MisterVeritis
11-28-2017, 06:12 PM
The Japanese are smart and they have the industry. They should develop breaking edge technology to shoot down any missile that comes their way. It would also protect them from any Chinese nuclear threat. I believe if they started on a crash program to do it it would scare China so bad that they might invade North Korea and take out the young Un. Maybe Taiwan should do the same thing. The U.S. should start hinting that we will help Japan with nukes of their own.
I believe they are far along in developing nuclear weapons and delivery systems. Defense is okay. Offense is everything else.

resister
11-28-2017, 06:34 PM
The missile flew for 50 minutes and reached an altitude of 2800 miles. To put in perspective, the International Space Station is only 250 miles above the earth's surface.

They shot for altitude, not distance just saw on TV, if aimed for distance (optimal angle 45 degrees) they could hit NY or DC.

barb012
11-28-2017, 07:21 PM
So are we waiting for them to attack us first with a nuke?

MisterVeritis
11-28-2017, 07:30 PM
The South Koreans need to get ready.

Safety
11-28-2017, 07:47 PM
The South Koreans need to get ready.

The US needs to get ready.

resister
11-28-2017, 07:49 PM
By taking them out, first.

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Can their missiles (with nuclear warheads) survive re-entry? Maybe. But if they want to conduct an EMP attack, it doesn't matter. And it would be much, much more effective than blowing up a city.

donttread
11-28-2017, 07:55 PM

But how many months ago was it that we were told NK had nothing cllose to that capability?

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 07:59 PM
But how many months ago was it that we were told NK had nothing cllose to that capability?

Last year and prior to that.

Safety
11-28-2017, 07:59 PM

No idea, I never made the claim.

Safety
11-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Can their missiles (with nuclear warheads) survive re-entry? Maybe. But if they want to conduct an EMP attack, it doesn't matter. And it would be much, much more effective than blowing up a city.

This. This is what should worry Americans. Taking an EMP pulse in our atmosphere would do more harm and widespread damage than it hitting us directly. Read https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765327252

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 08:07 PM
This. This is what should worry Americans. Taking an EMP pulse in our atmosphere would do more harm and widespread damage than it hitting us directly. Read https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765327252

Absolutely.

And that book is very good.

Safety
11-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Absolutely.

And that book is very good.

It definitely gives the perspective about what to expect if something like that were to ever happen. I'm currently reading https://www.amazon.com/One-Year-After-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765376717/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SKZZNF067BXQCW0HY0QP

That's why I like to watch shows like The Walking Dead, not because I think zombies would ever happen, but to see how society would react when the government and normalcy fails to exist.

Peter1469
11-28-2017, 08:13 PM
It definitely gives the perspective about what to expect if something like that were to ever happen. I'm currently reading https://www.amazon.com/One-Year-After-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765376717/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SKZZNF067BXQCW0HY0QP

That's why I like to watch shows like The Walking Dead, not because I think zombies would ever happen, but to see how society would react when the government and normalcy fails to exist.

I read all three books in the series.

Safety
11-28-2017, 08:17 PM
I read all three books in the series.

Didn't even know there was a third book until you just mentioned it and I looked at the amazon link. Definitely going to be the next one in queue.

exotix
11-28-2017, 10:55 PM
So are we waiting for them to attack us first with a nuke?No, we're waiting for another Trumpf tweet deterrent.

resister
11-28-2017, 11:01 PM
No, we're waiting for another Trumpf tweet deterrent.
Maybe we can just give them billions of taxpayer dollars to be good boys, after all that has worked so well! To bad we don't have 5 NK terrorist to trade for one deserter that escapes justice!

exotix
11-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Maybe we can just give them billions of taxpayer dollars to be good boys, after all that has worked so well! To bad we don't have 5 NK terrorist to trade for one deserter that escapes justice!LOL

http://blogs.jamaicans.com/gwgraeme/files/2017/10/war.jpg

leekohler2
11-28-2017, 11:07 PM

Not sure why the right would be upset with that. They'd love nothing more than to go back to the stone age.

Let's be honest, they'd love a Walking Dead kind of world- a place where intellect and decency is replaced by raw power.

It's pretty clear. Look what Muslim countries did- the same. They regressed, they became primitive just when they were becoming enlightened. That's what I see the right wing in this country attempting as well.

It happened in Russia too.

MisterVeritis
11-28-2017, 11:25 PM
We are as ready as we will likely be. The war will be fought in Korea.

Cannons Front
11-29-2017, 08:22 AM
We are as ready as we will likely be. The war will be fought in Korea.

While I agree that the most of the fight will be in Korea, if China stays out it will mostly be in N Korea, but S Korea will be devastated as well. But I also think there will be terrorist attacks here and in Japan, and I can see them launching missiles at Japan as well. They know that the end will be swift, without China getting involved, they will do as much damage as possible in that time.
Or the Military leaders will overthrow the Nut to save themselves.

Mini Me
11-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Maybe we can just give them billions of taxpayer dollars to be good boys, after all that has worked so well! To bad we don't have 5 NK terrorist to trade for one deserter that escapes justice!
Send over Dennis Rodman! he will offer the mad Dwarf an NBA basketball team!

Adelaide
11-29-2017, 11:53 AM
I did not realize until a couple days ago that the Winter Olympics in a couple months are in South Korea. I immediately wondered whether North Korea might do something... I kind of hope they move it based on what is going on.

At any rate, something will have to be done about North Korea.

nic34
11-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Thats right, more nukes will fix it..... lol

resister
11-29-2017, 11:56 AM
Not sure why the right would be upset with that. They'd love nothing more than to go back to the stone age.

Let's be honest, they'd love a Walking Dead kind of world- a place where intellect and decency is replaced by raw power.

It's pretty clear. Look what Muslim countries did- the same. They regressed, they became primitive just when they were becoming enlightened. That's what I see the right wing in this country attempting as well.

It happened in Russia too.
That's absurd:rollseyes:

MisterVeritis
11-29-2017, 11:59 AM
The war will be fought in Korea.

While I agree that the most of the fight will be in Korea, if China stays out it will mostly be in N Korea, but S Korea will be devastated as well. But I also think there will be terrorist attacks here and in Japan, and I can see them launching missiles at Japan as well. They know that the end will be swift, without China getting involved, they will do as much damage as possible in that time.
Or the Military leaders will overthrow the Nut to save themselves.
The war will be fought in Korea.

Anything else would be a minor sideshow.

Bethere
11-29-2017, 04:09 PM
I did not realize until a couple days ago that the Winter Olympics in a couple months are in South Korea. I immediately wondered whether North Korea might do something... I kind of hope they move it based on what is going on.

At any rate, something will have to be done about North Korea.

I started a thread about that. Remember?