PDA

View Full Version : Bait and Switch

ripmeister
11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Trump and Congress are about to pull a classic bait and switch. Anybody out there who thinks populism is at the root of the Trump agenda is going to be greatly disappointed while Trump and his ilk laugh all the way to the bank.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/28/16705420/senate-tax-bill-donald-trump

jimmyz
11-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Trump's base will remember in 2020 if their pocket was picked or not.

Kalkin
11-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Corporate tax cuts are good. Repealing the individual mandate is great. I would love to see this bill passed.

ripmeister
11-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Corporate tax cuts are good. Repealing the individual mandate is great. I would love to see this bill passed.
At the expense of the poor,the middle class and small business? If these bozos were serious they could have done their corporate tax cut and a real cut for the middle class but they caved to their rich donors and the rest of the plutocracy.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Both are good first steps. We need to go further though.

MisterVeritis
11-28-2017, 04:09 PM
At the expense of the poor, the middle class and small business? If these bozos were serious they could have done their corporate tax cut and a real cut for the middle class but they caved to their rich donors and the rest of the plutocracy.
It is hard to cut taxes for the people not paying them. I prefer an across-the-board tax rate cut. The people who pay nearly all of the taxes should benefit from a tax cut.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 04:09 PM
At the expense of the poor,the middle class and small business? If these bozos were serious they could have done their corporate tax cut and a real cut for the middle class but they caved to their rich donors and the rest of the plutocracy.

The usual liberal clichés and partisan talking points.

Hoosier8
11-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Democrats are hell bent on making sure more US corporations move their financial headquarters overseas by keeping the highest corporate tax rate in the world. That sure helps jobs...overseas.

Kalkin
11-28-2017, 04:19 PM

Tax cuts are not "at the expense" of anyone. I've never seen a tax cut I didn't like. I'd prefer tax cuts on everyone, but am okay with targeted ones as well. Consumers end up paying the corporate taxes anyways.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Democrats are hell bent on making sure more US corporations move their financial headquarters overseas by keeping the highest corporate tax rate in the world. That sure helps jobs...overseas.

They believe corporations should just make enough to get by. Profit is a bad thing with them. It's called profiteering and it's evil.

Kalkin
11-28-2017, 04:57 PM
They believe corporations should just make enough to get by. Profit is a bad thing with them. It's called profiteering and it's evil.

They are raging hypocrites. They covet the profits of others to further their marxist wealth redistribution agenda.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 05:00 PM
They are raging hypocrites. They covet the profits of others to further their marxist wealth redistribution agenda.

They want the wealth generated so they can confiscate it then spread it around, but they can't tolerate what it takes to generate that wealth.

Kalkin
11-28-2017, 05:10 PM
They want the wealth generated so they can confiscate it then spread it around, but they can't tolerate what it takes to generate that wealth.
Too true. The cognitive dissonance of the modern liberal is astounding. They attack the very institutions they need to further their pin-headed agenda.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Too true. The cognitive dissonance of the modern liberal is astounding. They attack the very institutions they need to further their pin-headed agenda.

It is.

They even oppose the steps taken which always results in the generation of greater revenues through taxes collected and increasing the tax base.

MisterVeritis
11-28-2017, 06:01 PM
That damned buffoon Corker is fighting to make the tax cuts temporary. Corker is an evil man, a democrat pretending to be a Republican. Corker wants automatic triggers for tax increases rather than for automatic spending cuts. God, I hate the pretend Republicans.

ripmeister
11-28-2017, 07:37 PM
It is hard to cut taxes for the people not paying them. I prefer an across-the-board tax rate cut. The people who pay nearly all of the taxes should benefit from a tax cut.
There is truth to that but numerous studies have shown that folks in the 100 K range will get little benefit while the 1 percenters will have a windfall.

ripmeister
11-28-2017, 07:39 PM
The usual liberal clichés and partisan talking points.
Yet you don't deny the points made in the article assuming you took the time to read it.

Tahuyaman
11-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Yet you don't deny the points made in the article assuming you took the time to read it.

There's no valid or discussion worthy point being made here.

I do not deny that you are a hack.

Kalkin
11-28-2017, 08:01 PM
There is truth to that but numerous studies have shown that folks in the 100 K range will get little benefit while the 1 percenters will have a windfall.
So what? Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure knowing that someone else pays more tax than you?

donttread
11-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Trump and Congress are about to pull a classic bait and switch. Anybody out there who thinks populism is at the root of the Trump agenda is going to be greatly disappointed while Trump and his ilk laugh all the way to the bank.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/28/16705420/senate-tax-bill-donald-trump

The tax code is about control, influence for sale and distraction. A 6th grade class could come up with a fairer, cheaper, and better way for the government to get it's revenue. But that way would not provide the control and "saleability" the politicians desire.
Also corporate taxes , at least in relation to goods or services sold here , are mental masturbation.

Captdon
11-28-2017, 08:39 PM

People making 100,000 dollars a year is middle class?

ripmeister
11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Yea, I know. Seems like a lot but from what I've read lately that is a generally accepted cut-off point for the middle quadrants of the income distribution. Of course it comes down to definitions as well. Certainly, a single earning 100K is different from a family of 4 bringing in 100K. The link I've added gives a pretty good explanation of this.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0912/which-income-class-are-you.aspx

Tahuyaman
11-29-2017, 12:56 PM

Yes.

They certainly aren't wealthy.