PDA

View Full Version : Staging an end run around accountability

Crepitus
11-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Across the government, acting directors who were installed without Senate approval are quietly dropping the “acting” title from their name, suggesting they have every intention of overstaying their legal welcome. (https://theintercept.com/2017/11/29/trump-administration-acting-director-cfpb-mick-mulvaney/)

The CFPB fight is taking place against the backdrop of the Trump administration’s repeated violation of a FVRA provision that allows acting directors to serve only for 210 days, with the clock starting either when the vacancy is created or when a nominee is sent to the Senate for confirmation.

Dan Simmons, an expat of the American Legislative Exchange Council, has been presiding over the Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. The Trump administration has not named a nominee for the Senate-confirmed position, and Simmons hit his 210-day time limit on November 16. The Department of Energy subsequently removed Simmons’s title of acting director, while stating he would still “serve in a leadership capacity” as a principal deputy assistant secretary. Simmons signed off on a proposal to overhaul energy efficiency standards the next day.In other words, the Trump administration designated and then un-designated the acting director, ostensibly to comply with the letter of the law while violating its spirit. By keeping the leadership in place without the technical “acting director” title, they have circumvented the requirement for Senate advice and consent.The Trump administration has also made such moves at the Office of Nuclear Energy, where former acting director Edward McGinnis is currently the principal deputy assistant secretary, and at the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy, where former acting director Eric Rolfing is now listed as deputy director.

I know a lot of our conservative members will shrug this off, but think about it this way: If it was a democrat bypassing the senate approval process like this how would you feel?

This is a very bad precedent.

DGUtley
11-30-2017, 09:33 AM
I am against any subterfuge. There's a proper procedure. Follow it.

Hoosier8
11-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Across the government, acting directors who were installed without Senate approval are quietly dropping the “acting” title from their name, suggesting they have every intention of overstaying their legal welcome. (https://theintercept.com/2017/11/29/trump-administration-acting-director-cfpb-mick-mulvaney/)

I know a lot of our conservative members will shrug this off, but think about it this way: If it was a democrat bypassing the senate approval process like this how would you feel?

The, law, the court and the CFPB legal department disagree.

Crepitus
11-30-2017, 09:44 AM

The, law, the court and the CFPB legal department disagree.

So predictable....

Kacper
11-30-2017, 10:14 AM

Congress over the decades has delegate too much authority to Presidents and have consistently failed to serve as a meaningful check on that office

resister
11-30-2017, 11:36 AM
So predictable....

Irony meters around the solar system just shorted out. ^

Crepitus
11-30-2017, 11:42 AM
I am against any subterfuge. There's a proper procedure. Follow it.

It's more than just that, it's more consolidation of power in one individual. I'm against that no matter who the president is. We have 3 branches of government for a reason.

Ethereal
11-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Democrats worship presidents who assume more power to themselves: Lincoln and FDR are two of their favorite presidents and both of them are known for their unprecedented flexing of executive powers. But now that Trump has those powers, they are upset and anxious.

Ethereal
11-30-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm against that no matter who the president is.

Sure you are... :rofl:

Crepitus
11-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Sure you are... :rofl:

Opinion noted, dismissed as irrelevant.

Have a nice day.

Kalkin
11-30-2017, 11:54 AM
So predictable....

Truth often is.

Captdon
11-30-2017, 04:11 PM
The courts will throw this out. The President has the sole authority to appoint with the advice and consent of Congress. SCOTUS will toss out any law that says otherwise.

Don
11-30-2017, 04:29 PM
The real problem here is that those committees are purposefully dragging out the selection approval process with every political trick in their playbook. Obstruct and delay.

Tahuyaman
12-01-2017, 01:28 AM

What's your issue here?

Crepitus
12-01-2017, 07:54 AM
What's your issue here?

Read the post.

It's not that hard dude.

Crepitus
12-01-2017, 07:55 AM
The real problem here is that those committees are purposefully dragging out the selection approval process with every political trick in their playbook. Obstruct and delay.

Not so. The problem is lack of nominees.

donttread
12-01-2017, 08:39 AM

You mean an end run around "government accountability?" That's like a pro team running on a Pop Warner team. LOL