PDA

View Full Version : How Donald Trump Shot Down Obamacare With the Senate Tax Reform Bill

Kalkin
12-02-2017, 12:45 PM
With one simple move, the tax reform bill passed by Senate Republicans Saturday could herald the beginning of the end of former President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare. The new bill repeals Obamacare's key requirement that all Americans obtain health insurance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-shot-down-obamacare-124617330.html
Good times!

Tahuyaman
12-02-2017, 12:49 PM
This should have been the first thing on the legislative agenda instead of the ACA repeal and replace fiasco.

Kalkin
12-02-2017, 01:11 PM
This should have been the first thing on the legislative agenda instead of the ACA repeal and replace fiasco.

I've always contended that linking "replace" with "repeal" was a mistake. This is a great end-around, essentially repealing the POS without replacing it with anything. Fed-gov has no authority to mandate healthcare insurance.

Agent Zero
12-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Good times!
He didn’t shot down anything. By eliminating the individual mandate he caused 11million people to lose their insurance, and the millions more who don’t die from lack of coverage or who haven’t been kicked off plans because of preexisting conditions wil see their rates skyrocket.

Trump will literally have to wash the blood of dead elderly and children off his hands before he goes to prison.

Agent Zero
12-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Good times!
He didn’t shot down anything. By eliminating the individual mandate he caused 11million people to lose their insurance, and the millions more who don’t die from lack of coverage or who haven’t been kicked off plans because of preexisting conditions wil see their rates skyrocket.

Trump will literally have to wash the blood of dead elderly and children off his hands before he goes to prison.

Kalkin
12-02-2017, 01:37 PM
He didn’t shot down anything.
Shoot. English is tough.

By eliminating the individual mandate he caused 11million people to lose their insurance, and the millions more who don’t die from lack of coverage or who haven’t been kicked off plans because of preexisting conditions wil see their rates skyrocket.
Trump hasn't done anything of the sort yet. Maybe he won't sign it into law.... lol.

Nope. No blood. No prison. Now get back to work. My taxes pay your wage.

Abby08
12-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Same old song and dance....got any new material?

resister
12-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Same old song and dance....got any new material?
Sounds like a CNN broadcast.

Abby08
12-02-2017, 02:49 PM
Obama's legacy, unraveling at an alarming rate.... HAHAHAHA .....if only we could erase his image from our minds.

resister
12-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Obama's legacy, unraveling at an alarming rate.... HAHAHAHA .....if only we could erase his image from our minds.
"I have a pen and a phone" Arrogant SOB, he gave two little shits what the average American wanted.

jimmyz
12-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Another weekend of pain for the Leftists Obama sycophants. The sadists among them will enjoy it.

Ethereal
12-02-2017, 05:30 PM

There is nothing to worry about. You and the other generous liberals who care so deeply will simply pick up the slack yourselves. After all, you are such compassionate people. We have faith in you.

Green Arrow
12-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Agent Zero - do you have a source that explains how repealing the individual mandate specifically will cause 11 million people to lose their insurance?

Crepitus
12-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Good times!

I thought it was dying by itself? Why did they try to kill it if this is true?

Ethereal
12-02-2017, 06:01 PM
@Agent Zero (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1857) - do you have a source that explains how repealing the individual mandate specifically will cause 11 million people to lose their insurance?
One has to wonder how that would happen when we still have Medicaid and Medicare, both of which were intended to prevent that very thing from happening.

Green Arrow
12-02-2017, 06:14 PM
One has to wonder how that would happen when we still have Medicaid and Medicare, both of which were intended to prevent that very thing from happening.

Part of the problem is Medicare and Medicaid don't cover enough people. The people referred to here are the "people in the cracks." Trouble is, Obamacare had a lot of cracks too.

Ethereal
12-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Part of the problem is Medicare and Medicaid don't cover enough people. The people referred to here are the "people in the cracks." Trouble is, Obamacare had a lot of cracks too.
They cover the indignant and the truly needy, right? I realize that there are people on the margins who may struggle, but they are not going to die in the streets. In any case, I think there are ways to solve this problem without expanding government. Indeed, we were just discussing how government involvement (patents and protectionism) serve to keep drug prices artificially high.

Agent Zero
12-02-2017, 06:34 PM
@AgentZero (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1857) - do you have a source that explains how repealing the individual mandate specifically will cause 11 million people to lose their insurance?
No. I have one saying it's 13 million.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/01/trump-senate-tax-bill-vote-individual-mandate/

A few weeks ago, they settled on repealing (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/us/politics/tax-plan-senate-obamacare-individual-mandate-trump.html) the individual mandate in the Affordable Care Act, more commonly known as Obamacare. This mandate imposes a monetary penalty on those who cannot prove that they had qualifying health insurance over the past year. If it is repealed, 13 million fewer Americans will have health insurance, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

And please don't "mention" me again.

Agent Zero
12-02-2017, 06:39 PM
I've already stated what the purpose of the individual mandate was. And that's not it.

From one of your fellow conservatives. One who's obviously more aware than you.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2009/09/28/frist-an-individual-mandate-for-health-insurance-would-benefit-all

The argument for an individual mandate centers on three principles.

​First, it would achieve fairness. No family in America should fear bankruptcy because of an accident, a child's cancer, or a heart attack. That is the purpose of insurance. An individual mandate is the only way to achieve affordable insurance coverage for every American in a pluralistic, public-private sector.Second, it would eliminate wasteful cost-shifting. Though many uninsured people do eventually get care in emergency rooms, the $30 billion to $50 billion in bills for "uncompensated care" or "bad debt" they generate are inefficiently shifted to the privately insured, wasting scarce health dollars. These economic distortions are behind the dollar aspirin tablet and the $10 Band-Aid you discover on your hospital bill. No one knows the real price of anything. Such lack of transparency destroys any hope for true market forces, like prudent purchasing by the consumer, which would normally hold the "health spending curve" in check.

And few today who remain "voluntarily uninsured" fully appreciate the risks they would face in the case of a catastrophic event.

Third, it would reduce adverse selection. When healthier people opt not to carry insurance, only those with poorer health, and thus higher costs, remain in. This leads insurance prices to spiral up. And it further impedes markets' ability to mitigate risks and prevent personal economic catastrophe. The "free-riders" who do not purchase insurance and the "voluntarily uninsured" who depend on emergency room care paid by others would then pay their fair share for services received.

Green Arrow
12-02-2017, 06:40 PM

I was simply trying to engage you in a good-faith discussion, but fair enough, I'll honor your request.

Kalkin
12-02-2017, 08:17 PM
I thought it was dying by itself?
It was.

Why did they try to kill it if this is true?
Because ending a travesty ASAP is preferable.

barb012
12-02-2017, 10:00 PM
If Obamacare was so successful then all states who expanded medicaid would have no people uninsured. The mandate by forcing people to buy coverage that they could not afford to use is extortion. The insurance companies due a mandate should have lowered the premiums and the deductibles since their government contracts for Medicare Advantage and Medicaid have given them big profits.

However, we all know that the insurance companies did not do this since they needed our premiums to support their expansion to other countries.

Peter1469
12-02-2017, 11:14 PM

Hysterics don't strengthen your argument.

Peter1469
12-02-2017, 11:18 PM

Those are likely people who will elect to not purchase insurance as opposed to "lose" it.

Tahuyaman
12-02-2017, 11:20 PM
...Trump will literally have to wash the blood of dead elderly and children off his hands before he goes to prison.

Has there ever been a more ignorant comment ever posted in this forum?

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 09:01 AM
I've already stated what the purpose of the individual mandate was. And that's not it.

From one of your fellow conservatives. One who's obviously more aware than you.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2009/09/28/frist-an-individual-mandate-for-health-insurance-would-benefit-all

Again, there is nothing to worry about. Generous, compassionate liberals like you will take care of the sick and needy. Otherwise, all your pretenses about caring will have been nothing but empty rhetoric and there is no way that is possible.