PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons Rethink Apu Character

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 10:21 AM
The Simpsons insist ‘upsetting’ racism claims are ‘a lot to digest’ as show re-thinks Apu character (http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/03/the-simpsons-insist-upsetting-racism-claims-are-a-lot-to-digest-as-show-re-thinks-apu-character-7127740/)

Adam Bloodworth for Metro.co.uk | Sunday 3 Dec 2017 12:06 pm

Hank Azaria, the actor who voices Apu on The Simpsons, has spoken out about allegations of racism surrounding his character on the show.

The documentary The Problem With Apu aired on US channel truTV in November, and stakes the claim that elements of the Apu character are bolstering racial stereotypes.

‘It’s really upsetting that [his character, Apu] was offensive or hurtful to anybody,’ Hank has claimed, having initially maintained silence following the documentary.

The documentary’s producers insist that elements of the character are troubling, including his arranged marriage, many children and that he is defined by being the owner of a convenience store.

[...]

Yet another aspect of American culture is under assault from the unhinged "liberal" mob - this time, it's Apu from The Simpsons.

For those of you who do not know, Apu is a cartoon character who embodies many of the stereotypes about Indian culture. He talks with a thick accent, owns a convenience store despite having a degree in engineering, was pressured into an arranged marriage by his overbearing parents, and has lots of children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4ujBB7gvw&t=42s

What the SJWS don't seem to realize or care about is that almost every major character on The Simpsons reflects a cultural stereotype of some sort. For example, Groundskeeper Willy is the school janitor who embodies every Scottish stereotype imaginable. I have a strong suspicion that my fellow Scottish-Americans will not be making an issue of this anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2q0T7QXETs

The Xl
12-03-2017, 10:28 AM
First thing that came to mind was the over the top Scottish stereotype they have on the show, but they won't care about that.

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 10:35 AM
First thing that came to mind was the over the top Scottish stereotype they have on the show, but they won't care about that.
Pretty much everyone on The Simpsons is a cultural stereotype.

Ned Flanders is a stereotype of white protestants; Homer is a stereotype of the American everyman; Marge is a stereotype of a housewife; Fatony is a stereotype of Italian mobsters; Police Chief Wiggum is a stereotype of police officers; the entire point of The Simpsons was to satirize and poke fun at cultural stereotypes.

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 10:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPCDMVMYmI

Outrageously stereotypical... yet hilarious.

donttread
12-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Yet another aspect of American culture is under assault from the unhinged "liberal" mob - this time, it's Apu from The Simpsons.

For those of you who do not know, Apu is a cartoon character who embodies many of the stereotypes about Indian culture. He talks with a thick accent, owns a convenience store despite having a degree in engineering, was pressured into an arranged marriage by his overbearing parents, and has lots of children.

What the SJWS don't seem to realize or care about is that almost every major character on The Simpsons reflects a cultural stereotype of some sort. For example, Groundskeeper Willy is the school janitor who embodies every Scottish stereotype imaginable. I have a strong suspicion that my fellow Scottish-Americans will not be making an issue of this anytime soon.

The best thing about the Simposons, South Park and Family Guy is how in these time of PC run riot they spare no one. Realizing that sterotyping is something to be laughed at but at the same time almost all of them have a hint of truth.
Take that away and the shows / framchizes will lose all relevance

Green Arrow
12-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Family Guy makes fun of Jews more than anybody and I find it hilarious. *shrug*

Tahuyaman
12-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Everyone is ridiculed on the Simpsons. Why should some be immune to that?

Don
12-03-2017, 11:48 AM
If its designed to make us laugh at ourselves then its funny and probably ends up breaking down barriers. A lot different than some subtle and not so subtle progressive programs stereotyping. I think South Park used to get it right even though they didn't cut anyone any slack. I've noticed lately though that they don't really come up with anything new and their material is just hateful. Its like they don't really try and instead of letting the show die a natural death they keep its corpse going just to make money.

resister
12-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Hypocrisy of SJW on full display, these people need a hobby.

Ravens Fan
12-03-2017, 12:11 PM
I have to say that I am quite surprised that they didn't predict this happening....

Green Arrow
12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Honestly, never been a Simpsons or South Park guy. I've always been a Family Guy...guy.

Abby08
12-03-2017, 12:32 PM
How many years has the Simpsons been on the air? It's just now come to the attention of the left, that they make fun of everyone? That everyone is fair game?

People who can't recognize satire, who can't laugh at themselves, who take cartoon characters seriously.....well, those are some pretty dull people, without a sense of humor.

Abby08
12-03-2017, 12:34 PM
I have to say that I am quite surprised that they didn't predict this happening....

Everything we watch now, we're saying, " I'm surprised they can still get away with that.".....then, one of us will ultimately say, "probably not for much longer."

Crepitus
12-03-2017, 12:34 PM

Well that's kinda stupid. The whole show is packed fulla over the ropes steriotypes. Damn near every character.

That's kinda the point, isn't it?

resister
12-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Well that's kinda stupid. The whole show is packed fulla over the ropes steriotypes. Damn near every character.

That's kinda the point, isn't it?
Kinda telling that these SJW only take issue with one "sacred cow", but turn a blind eye to all the rest.

jigglepete
12-03-2017, 12:44 PM
What a crock, this is totally bullshit..."Thank you, come again..."

resister
12-03-2017, 12:48 PM
What a crock, this is totally bullshit..."Thank you, come again..."
Agreed, but watch them cave to pressure. They should respond just as one would to a child throwing a tantrum, by not giving in.

Standing Wolf
12-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Kinda telling that these SJW only take issue with one "sacred cow", but turn a blind eye to all the rest.

The documentary filmmaker doesn't strike me as an SJW so much as just a guy who resents his racial/ethnic group being made fun of. I've never been Indian, so I can't totally discount the man's feelings, BUT...as others have pointed out, 'The Simpsons' is pretty much fully composed of various stereotypes - Apu is just one of dozens. Just from watching the trailer for his film, a big part of his problem is with the fact that Apu is voiced by a non-Indian actor. Has he ever watched 'The Big Bang Theory'? The character of Raj is played by an Indian actor, and he speaks with a similar accent, his parents have tried at least once to involve him in an arranged marriage, and he is constantly making jokes about being Indian. (That actor currently makes almost a million dollars per episode, by the way.) Anyway, it's obviously a stretch to attribute the kerfuffle under discussion to "the left", as most liberals, I think it's fair to say, are going to find it just as silly as anyone else does.

Mister D
12-03-2017, 01:06 PM
The documentary filmmaker doesn't strike me as an SJW so much as just a guy who resents his racial/ethnic group being made fun of. I've never been Indian, so I can't totally discount the man's feelings, BUT...as others have pointed out, 'The Simpsons' is pretty much fully composed of various stereotypes - Apu is just one of dozens. Just from watching the trailer for his film, a big part of his problem is with the fact that Apu is voiced by a non-Indian actor. Has he ever watched 'The Big Bang Theory'? The character of Raj is played by an Indian actor, and he speaks with a similar accent, his parents have tried at least once to involve him in an arranged marriage, and he is constantly making jokes about being Indian. (That actor currently makes almost a million dollars per episode, by the way.) Anyway, it's obviously a stretch to attribute the kerfuffle under discussion to "the left", as most liberals, I think it's fair to say, are going to find it just as silly as anyone else does.
It's strongly associated with the left because it's a phenomenon of the left.

Let me preempt the morons...

When whites complain about their group being targeted it's an effort to highlight a double standard. Your double standard, morons.

resister
12-03-2017, 01:12 PM
When I say SJW, I am referring specifically to people that look for any cause to be "offended" about. Many times, on behalf of others.

Common
12-03-2017, 01:22 PM
They are making it worse not better

Standing Wolf
12-03-2017, 01:23 PM
It's strongly associated with the left because it's a phenomenon of the left.

Let me preempt the morons...

When whites complain about their group being targeted it's an effort to highlight a double standard. Your double standard, morons.

When certain groups - groups that, generally speaking, can in no way be categorized as being "of the left" - complain about their treatment in the media, it isn't any kind of "effort to highlight a double standard"; it's a move that is motivated by the same resentment against stereotyping that is featured in the OP. Christians have been complaining about the way they tend to be portrayed in popular entertainment for as long as I can remember - since long before anyone thought to come down on filmmakers for their portrayal of, for example, Muslims or Jews.

That said, I will grant you that there is far more of this kind of protest coming from self-identified liberals...but my point that most liberals would look at this Apu business and think it's pretty dumb, given the context, is still valid.

resister
12-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Just watching an old rerun of the Brady bunch, where they take a camping trip to the Grand Canyon where they interact with an Indian family, man that episode is chock slap full of NA stereotypes!

Mister D
12-03-2017, 01:31 PM
When certain groups - groups that, generally speaking, can in no way be categorized as being "of the left" - complain about their treatment in the media, it isn't any kind of "effort to highlight a double standard"; it's a move that is motivated by the same resentment against stereotyping that is featured in the OP. Christians have been complaining about the way they tend to be portrayed in popular entertainment for as long as I can remember - since long before anyone thought to come down on filmmakers for their portrayal of, for example, Muslims or Jews.

That said, I will grant you that there is far more of this kind of protest coming from self-identified liberals...but my point that most liberals would look at this Apu business and think it's pretty dumb, given the context, is still valid.
Of course it's a move to highlight a double standard. No one ever bothered until that double standard (which we both know exists in spades no pun intended) became clear. White people, guys like us, don't really care about stereotyping and wouldn't find it problematic if SJW weren't running amok finding racism in everything.

We're talking about race and ethnicity here but, again, a double standard exists with regard to religion as well. Christians are fair game. Muslims and Jews not so much. Our own members are outraged when Muslims and Jews are maligned. When Christians are smeared it's "oh you poor persecuted Christians". Ugh...tis place I swear.

I don't disagree that most liberals would find this all kind of silly. I'm just stating a fact: this hypersensitivity with regard to race and ancestry is an entirely leftist phenomenon.

resister
12-03-2017, 01:35 PM
When you think about it, all fictional productions are based on stereotypes. The characters are depicted based on what the producers think​ those characters would be like in RL.

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Family Guy makes fun of Jews more than anybody and I find it hilarious. *shrug*
Well that's the ironic thing about it. People who are comfortable with their culture (and themselves) are able to laugh at good natured stereotyping. Only people feeling insecure really worry about such stereotypes. In some contexts, feelings of insecurity are perfectly rational. For example, Jews in Nazi Germany had a very good reason to feel insecure about Jewish stereotypes being promoted throughout German society. But in the USA, stereotypes of Indian people exist in the context of a highly liberal society, so feelings of insecurity towards the Apu character are largely irrational and excessive. This is especially true given the highly successful assimilation of Indian immigrants into American culture.

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Honestly, never been a Simpsons or South Park guy. I've always been a Family Guy...guy.

I think you might have missed the heyday of Simpsons, being a little younger. Their newer material is significantly weaker than it used to be during the golden era.

Ethereal
12-03-2017, 03:43 PM
The kind of mentality displayed by this individual is a clear byproduct of modern "liberal" ideology. So even if most "liberals" do not agree with this guy, it is not because "liberalism" itself is encourages them to feel otherwise, but only because their native common sense is overriding their liberal dogma about victimization.

Kacper
12-03-2017, 03:47 PM
As a southerner, I am confident in saying that the SJW's will never come to the defense of us because they are the worst offenders in stereotyping the south.

resister
12-03-2017, 03:52 PM
As a southerner, I am confident in saying that the SJW's will never come to the defense of us because they are the worst offenders in stereotyping the south.Of course not, we are ignorant rednecks, evil white males source of all oppression in the world. White devils.

IMPress Polly
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Has any of you actually seen the documentary you're critiquing here, or is this all just politically-motivate hot air?

Kacper
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Of course not, we are ignorant rednecks, evil white males source of all oppression in the world. White devils.

Thank God all them educated yankees move down here when they retire to edumacate us heathens.

nathanbforrest45
12-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Hypocrisy of SJW on full display, these people need a hobby.

They have a hobby, its being petty and annoying

nathanbforrest45
12-03-2017, 04:20 PM

Liberals stick together and speak in one voice because they are unable to think as individuals. So they wait for the next target to speak out against. When one speaks they all take up the mantra.

Standing Wolf
12-03-2017, 10:48 PM
The kind of mentality displayed by this individual is a clear byproduct of modern "liberal" ideology. So even if most "liberals" do not agree with this guy, it is not because "liberalism" itself is encourages them to feel otherwise, but only because their native common sense is overriding their liberal dogma about victimization.
It seems pretty clear that the filmmaker's "mentality" is that he is tired of hearing an endless string of jokes about working at the Kwikee Mart, etc. As funny as we may think that kind of stereotyping is in the context of something like 'The Simpsons', I strongly suspect that it isn't nearly as funny to someone who has to bear the brunt of such jokes in real life on a daily basis. It's one thing to say, "Hey, just man up and don't be such a snowflake" when you're a member of a racial-ethnic group with hundreds of representatives in popular culture; how many East Indians are regularly featured on American television? I watch a lot of shows and I can only think of two, though I'm sure there are probably a few more. (There was an Indian actor on 'Heroes' who was one of the good guys, but that show has been off the air for some years now.) If both of those characters are silly, somewhat clownish stereotypes, then that situation is comparable to one in which every single White person of western European ancestry is portrayed on television as a - fill in the blank with a negative stereotype. That would sting, and it wouldn't be fair. Or very funny, to us.

Abby08
12-03-2017, 10:56 PM
But, why just Apu? Every character on the show is a stereotype, Homer included.

Standing Wolf
12-03-2017, 11:18 PM
But, why just Apu? Every character on the show is a stereotype, Homer included.

Maybe because the filmmaker is Indian-American?

Another thing to consider is that all of the other stereotyping being done on the show is non-racial. They may stereotype beer drinkers, fundamentalist Christians, bar owners, housewives, scientists, Scotsmen, small town cops, rich guys, etc., but how many racial minorities are regularly featured on the show, and how are they represented? Carl, Homer's Black co-worker, is probably just a bit smarter than his constant companion Lenny, and is never given any "Black" things to do or say. The only other Black regular I can recall is Dr. Hibbert, who aside from having a habit of laughing at inappropriate times, isn't given much in the way of a backstory or a personality. If you want to stretch the definition of "racial" to include Hispanic characters, you have Bumblebee Man and Dr. Nick...but are a weird, costumed mascot of some kind and a doctor of questionable training and credentials really "stereotypes"?

resister
12-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Another thing to consider is that all of the other stereotyping being done on the show is non-racial. They may stereotype beer drinkers, fundamentalist Christians, bar owners, housewives, scientists, Scotsmen, small town cops, rich guys, etc., but how many racial minorities are regularly featured on the show, and how are they represented? Carl, Homer's Black co-worker, is probably just a bit smarter than his constant companion Lenny, and is never given any "Black" things to do or say. The only other Black regular I can recall is Dr. Hibbert, who aside from having a habit of laughing at inappropriate times, isn't given much in the way of a backstory or a personality. If you want to stretch the definition of "racial" to include Hispanic characters, you have Bumblebee Man and Dr. Nick...but are a weird, costumed mascot of some kind and a doctor of questionable training and credentials really "stereotypes"?
Actually, where I live, 2/3rds of the conviniance stores are indeed owned and operated by east Indians or Arabs. When I lived in Tampa, quite a few in the ghetto, ditto. I guess Matt Groening should of cast one as an MD to even it out.

Standing Wolf
12-04-2017, 12:09 AM
Actually, where I live, 2/3rds of the conviniance stores are indeed owned and operated by east Indians or Arabs. When I lived in Tampa, quite a few in the ghetto, ditto. I guess Matt Groening should of cast one as an MD to even it out.

We have quite a few Indian-American convenience store owners here, too. No one is saying that they don't exist. I'm not even sure the profession thing is such a big deal to the filmmaker or to other Indian-Americans who might sympathize with or share his position; I think it is far more the exaggerated accent, the arranged marriage thing and the eight children.

resister
12-04-2017, 12:16 AM
We have quite a few Indian-American convenience store owners here, too. No one is saying that they don't exist. I'm not even sure the profession thing is such a big deal to the filmmaker or to other Indian-Americans who might sympathize with or share his position; I think it is far more the exaggerated accent, the arranged marriage thing and the eight children.
It's hypersensitivity, A fundamental Christian family ought to be offended by the portrayal of the Flanders family, by the same standards. Much ado about nothing.

Hal Jordan
12-04-2017, 03:37 AM
A key about The Simpsons has always been offense. There is no group that can say The Simpsons has not been offensive towards them. This is honestly one of the least offensive characterizations in the show. At the very least, Apu has always been shown as self-sufficient. There's not a single other character that can say that.

Standing Wolf
12-04-2017, 08:26 AM
It's hypersensitivity, A fundamental Christian family ought to be offended by the portrayal of the Flanders family, by the same standards. Much ado about nothing.

I don't know about the "fundamental" part - those people are offended by pretty much every damn thing - but at least I see other Christian families on television who are not lampooned or stereotyped. If there were lots of other Indian-Americans on popular shows, I don't believe Apu would be much of a problem to anyone. As it is, he's practically the only one.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 08:39 AM
It seems pretty clear that the filmmaker's "mentality" is that he is tired of hearing an endless string of jokes about working at the Kwikee Mart, etc. As funny as we may think that kind of stereotyping is in the context of something like 'The Simpsons', I strongly suspect that it isn't nearly as funny to someone who has to bear the brunt of such jokes in real life on a daily basis. It's one thing to say, "Hey, just man up and don't be such a snowflake" when you're a member of a racial-ethnic group with hundreds of representatives in popular culture; how many East Indians are regularly featured on American television? I watch a lot of shows and I can only think of two, though I'm sure there are probably a few more. (There was an Indian actor on 'Heroes' who was one of the good guys, but that show has been off the air for some years now.) If both of those characters are silly, somewhat clownish stereotypes, then that situation is comparable to one in which every single White person of western European ancestry is portrayed on television as a - fill in the blank with a negative stereotype. That would sting, and it wouldn't be fair. Or very funny, to us.
He's a bitch. And a liberal. The two often go together.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 08:41 AM

Scots are an ethnicity. Groundskeeper Willie is perhaps the most outrageous stereotype in TV history. And it's hilarious.

Bethere
12-04-2017, 08:55 AM

And yet we have another comment from you that is far from constructive.

Standing Wolf
12-04-2017, 08:59 AM

That's deep. Put a lot of thought into that "response", did you?

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 09:00 AM
And yet we have another comment from you that is far from constructive.
That doesn't mean much coming from the biggest troll in tPF history.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 09:00 AM
That's deep. Put a lot of thought into that "response", did you?
It's all the thought your sophistic pablum merited.

Standing Wolf
12-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Scots are an ethnicity. Groundskeeper Willie is perhaps the most outrageous stereotype in TV history. And it's hilarious.

Pretty sure my point - the one you were ostensibly "responding" to - was that in Apu's case, he is a racial minority, not an ethnic one. Try to keep up with the conversation if you're going to pretend to participate.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Pretty sure my point - the one you were ostensibly "responding" to - was that in Apu's case, he is a racial minority, not an ethnic one. Try to keep up with the conversation if you're going to pretend to participate.
Indians are not a race. And even if they were, it wouldn't make your point any less asinine, as if it's somehow okay to ethnically stereotype people but not to racially stereotype them.

Standing Wolf
12-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Indians are not a race. And even if they were, it wouldn't make your point any less asinine, as if it's somehow okay to ethnically stereotype people but not to racially stereotype them.

I don't recall ever stating that it was "okay" to do anything of the sort. I was responding to the question of why a real life Indian-American might find the portrayal of an Indian-American in such a stereotypical fashion offensive by speculating that (1) there are an extremely small number of positive Indian-Americans in popular culture to counterbalance the image being presented, and (2) there is an element of race involved that is not present when we discuss the stereotyping of people by ethnicity or profession or country of origin.

As for Indians "not [being] a race", the racial origins of the dark-skinned Dravidian population of southern India are actually pretty fascinating. It is widely thought, I believe, that they have more in common genetically with the Australian aboriginals than with native Africans. In any case, however one views the various attempts to pigeonhole human populations into racial categories, the dark skin makes it racial in the informal, un-scientific sense of real world perceptions and interactions.

Adelaide
12-04-2017, 12:24 PM
I could see where it could be offensive.

It feels a bit like people are forgetting how to laugh at themselves (and others), though. America needs a sense of humor.

Bethere
12-04-2017, 01:25 PM
That doesn't mean much coming from the biggest troll in tPF history.

You don't take constructive criticism well.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 02:45 PM
I don't recall ever stating that it was "okay" to do anything of the sort. I was responding to the question of why a real life Indian-American might find the portrayal of an Indian-American in such a stereotypical fashion offensive by speculating that (1) there are an extremely small number of positive Indian-Americans in popular culture to counterbalance the image being presented, and (2) there is an element of race involved that is not present when we discuss the stereotyping of people by ethnicity or profession or country of origin.

As for Indians "not [being] a race", the racial origins of the dark-skinned Dravidian population of southern India are actually pretty fascinating. It is widely thought, I believe, that they have more in common genetically with the Australian aboriginals than with native Africans. In any case, however one views the various attempts to pigeonhole human populations into racial categories, the dark skin makes it racial in the informal, un-scientific sense of real world perceptions and interactions.

The "races" are Caucasian, black, and Asian. Apu is not a racial stereotype, he's a cultural stereotype, just like Groundskeeper Willy or Fatony. Only, Apu is far more respectable, moderate, and nuanced a stereotype.

Ethereal
12-04-2017, 02:45 PM
You don't take constructive criticism well.

Nothing you say is intended to be constructive. It's all trolling.

Mister D
12-04-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm half Italian. The Italian stereotypes are funny.

https://deadhomersociety.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/homietheclown9.png

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/simpsons/luigi2.jpg

Mister D
12-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Johnny tight lips was awesome. lol

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/2/2c/Johnny_Tightlips_Tapped_Out.png/revision/latest?cb=20150919053524

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8cFafxXX_0

Mister D
12-04-2017, 03:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db41tFiJ3UI

Abby08
12-04-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm half Italian. The Italian stereotypes are funny.

https://deadhomersociety.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/homietheclown9.png

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/dan/simpsons/luigi2.jpg

I haven't watched it for a long time, but, I thought it was ALL funny. People need to get a sense of humor.