PDA

View Full Version : Views on sexual harassment

Adelaide
12-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Overall, 62 percent of men and 71 percent of women believe sexual harassment happens at almost all or most workplaces, a difference of 9 percentage points.

Add age into the mix, however, and the numbers look different among both men and women.

Among women 18 to 49 years old, 78 percent say “sexual harassment happens in almost all or most workplaces.” But among women 50 or older, the number falls 14 points to 64 percent, which is below the national average.

Among 18- to 49-year-old men, 68 percent say they believe harassment happens in almost all or most workplaces. But among men 50 or older the figure is 55 percent, 13 percentage points lower.

In other words, gender seems to play a role in how widespread people think sexual harassment is, but age is the bigger divider.

Poll: Views on sexual harassment at work divide women by age (https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/12/04/poll-views-on-sexual-harassment-at-work-divide-women-by-age/23296027/)

This is kind of interesting. The difference between men and women is there, but not as significant as age.

Kalkin
12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
It's nearly impossible to accurately define sexual harassment because it is such a subjective thing. One person's harassment is another person's flirtation. The difference is usually based on whether or not the potential harassee is attracted to the potential harasser or not.

DGUtley
12-04-2017, 01:07 PM
I walked down the hall to talk to my attractive law clerk (younger than my daughters) and asked her. She indicated that at every job except this one she experienced someone come on to her. She did indicate that one of my partners felt a client was too bold with her and put him in his place.

Kalkin
12-04-2017, 01:12 PM
I walked down the hall to talk to my attractive law clerk (younger than my daughters) and asked her. She indicated that at every job except this one she experienced someone come on to her. She did indicate that one of my partners felt a client was too bold with her and put him in his place.
Be careful. Referring to her as attractive could be construed as sexual harassment nowadays.

donttread
12-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Poll: Views on sexual harassment at work divide women by age (https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/12/04/poll-views-on-sexual-harassment-at-work-divide-women-by-age/23296027/)

This is kind of interesting. The difference between men and women is there, but not as significant as age.

The term is too broad. Apples to melons to tomatoes . Extorting sex from someone by threatening their livelyhood should not be in the same leauge with "getting groped by a 90 year old man in a wheel chair" while you stood there or over complimenting after a vauge warning. Those are different things, not just different levels.
I have a problem with the any "victim defined offense" vs a rule. So if a couple at work has an affair willingly , they are either both fired or both "blameless". Certain actions and words should be against company policy no matter how connected or good looking the perp is.
And offering your bod for a promotion should be every bit as bad a s requesting it for one.

Beevee
12-04-2017, 02:04 PM
The term is too broad. Apples to melons to tomatoes . Extorting sex from someone by threatening their livelyhood should not be in the same leauge with "getting groped by a 90 year old man in a wheel chair" while you stood there or over complimenting after a vauge warning. Those are different things, not just different levels.
I have a problem with the any "victim defined offense" vs a rule. So if a couple at work has an affair willingly , they are either both fired or both "blameless". Certain actions and words should be against company policy no matter how connected or good looking the perp is.
And offering your bod for a promotion should be every bit as bad a s requesting it for one.

A 90 year old shouldn't get a groping pass because he's 90. But it is an indication that he has been groping for a while, so is he entitled to that pass if he is groping at 50?

nathanbforrest45
12-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Hang the bastid. Probably gropes 10 year olds as well

nathanbforrest45
12-04-2017, 04:38 PM
If one believes the majority of TV shows most women in an office setting dress very provocatively with cleavage down to their navels. Perhaps women are as much at fault for being hit on as men are for hitting on them. And before you say men should respect the bodies of women why are they exposing themselves to the degree they are if they aren't advertising for something?Hey Darling, want to have lunch with me. No, okThats not sexual harassmentEvery time you pass her desk you ask the same question with the same answer, that is harassment.

Peter1469
12-04-2017, 05:55 PM
In the work place you need to get a feel for what others think is appropriate or not. One colleague may appreciate crude jokes and others may not.

Common
12-04-2017, 06:10 PM
I would have thought the percentage between men and women would be much wider to be honest

donttread
12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
A 90 year old shouldn't get a groping pass because he's 90. But it is an indication that he has been groping for a while, so is he entitled to that pass if he is groping at 50?

I don't care if he's 20 , if he's in a wheel chair. WALK THE FUCK AWAY

Adelaide
12-04-2017, 08:41 PM
I would have thought the percentage between men and women would be much wider to be honest

Same, actually.

Adelaide
12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
If one believes the majority of TV shows most women in an office setting dress very provocatively with cleavage down to their navels. Perhaps women are as much at fault for being hit on as men are for hitting on them. And before you say men should respect the bodies of women why are they exposing themselves to the degree they are if they aren't advertising for something?Hey Darling, want to have lunch with me. No, okThats not sexual harassmentEvery time you pass her desk you ask the same question with the same answer, that is harassment.

Most women dress appropriately for work - the ones who don't often get a talk petty quickly from HR about the dress code(and HR for a reason, rather than by a direct supervisor or manager). Regardless, if I wear a skirt to work that isn't Amish-esque, that doesn't mean a man can't demonstrate enough self-restraint to not touch me or to say something inappropriate.

Dr. Who
12-04-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't think that a compliment from a male coworker on a nice outfit or new haircut is harassment any more than I think that complimenting a male coworker on a nice suit or an attractive haircut is sexual harassment. For some people who are hammers, everything is a nail. However, persistent but rebuked requests to date, inappropriate touching (not a hug a Christmastime), bawdy jokes and "compliments" about body parts is sexual harassment, not to mention predicating your employment on "favors".