PDA

View Full Version : Fear The Voters

Taxcutter
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
That’s how representative democracy is supposed to work. If the voters don’t like how a rep is doing in DC, they vote him out. Like Dick Lugar.

The GOP is the House should remember this.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/4/gop-should-fear-voters-not-the-fiscal-cliff/

quote:
“Only a Democrat would claim increased spending will reduce the deficit…”

“The Democrats’ long game is to push an ever-increasing tax burden onto fewer and fewer taxpayers. This grows a class of Americans who may or may not earn paychecks but certainly become beneficiaries of government largesse while remaining blissfully detached from its enormous cost.”

“Republicans must reject compromises that (1) only hope to slow the Democrats’ inexorable march toward statism and (2) absolve Democrats from blame.”

“Now Democrats squarely own health care. They can’t blame Republicans for this one. Your insurance rates went up? Thank a Democrat. Your doctor no longer takes Medicare? Thank a Democrat. Your company cut your hours back to part time in order to avoid Obamacare penalties? Thank a Democrat.”

“It would be far better to let the Democrats own this disaster than to put a GOP stamp of approval on it.”

Taxcutter says:
As a voter in Indiana said to Dick Lugar: “If we wanted more federal spending and higher taxes, there’s no shortages of Democrats. What do we need you for?”

corrocamino
12-05-2012, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Taxcutter;196598]That’s how representative democracy is supposed to work. If the voters don’t like how a rep is doing in DC, they vote him out.[QUOTE]

The vote is a curious phenomenon. If my vote (against all odds) turns out to make a 1-vote difference in the tally, then I was the difference-maker, right? Not at all: there would be at least one recount, and the final outcome assuredly would be significantly different (surely more than a 1-vote difference -- ask any statistician). Ergo, my vote (or, my non-vote, for that matter) doesn't matter, except as it may bear on my personal psychological state.

Captain Obvious
12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Politicians fear voters like shepards fear sheep.

Taxcutter
12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Baron Hill should have feared the voters.

corrocamino
12-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Parable time:

I always wanted to live forever. When a good fairy appeared to me and offered to grant me any wish, I wished to live forever. "I'm sorry," said the fairy, "I'm not allowed to grant eternal life." "OK," I replied, "then I want to die only after Congress gets its head out of its ass." "You crafty bastard!" she said.

Taxcutter
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
December 8, 1941 was the last time that happened.

Peter1469
12-06-2012, 06:14 PM
December 8, 1941 was the last time that happened.

Congress should have asked why FDR pushed the oil embargo against Japan. It was asking for a fight.

Mainecoons
12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
After this last election, why would anyone fear the American voters?

Taxcutter
12-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Dick Lugar should have.

Mainecoons
12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Just the Indiana voters. :grin:

Taxcutter
12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
State by state, district by district. Real fear comes slowly.