PDA

View Full Version : Alimony tax increase

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Another hidden increase in this tax "cut".

You make $100,000 and pay alimony of $40,000. Before the tax "cut" you wrote you check and then figured your income at $60,000, your ex figured her income at $40,000 and you both paid your taxes based on that. Yours = $9150 and hers = $4,800. Total taxes paid = $13,950.

Now you pay taxes on all $100,000 and then send out the alimony check. your taxes = $14,350 and hers still = $4,800. Total taxes paid = $19,150. A $5,200 tax increase for you.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/11/the-peculiar-story-of-the-republican-war-on-alimony/

Common
12-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Dont care I dont pay alimony :)

resister
12-21-2017, 10:08 AM
No one should have to pay "vaginamony".

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 10:08 AM

I and millions of others do.

gamewell45
12-21-2017, 10:10 AM
2018 is just around the corner; those who voted to support the tax bill will have to answer to their constituents at that time. I live in a heavily conservative district (yes they do exist outside the cities) and many are not too happy with the new tax bill and my congressman will have to answer for his yes vote in the next election.

Ravens Fan
12-21-2017, 10:11 AM
The linked article is from November 4th, did this provision make it into the final bill?

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 10:12 AM
The linked article is from November 4th, did this provision make it into the final bill?

Yes, I linked that one for the explanation as the other just said it was there.

The Xl
12-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Alimony is theft. Lol at this whole system.

Ravens Fan
12-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes, I linked that one for the explanation as the other just said it was there.
I'd like to see the one saying that it made it into the final bill. That said, if it did make it in, I could see both sides of the argument.

On the side of the Govt., you pay taxes on your income and if you use part of that income to pay someone else, they then pay taxes on their income. Kind of like how a business owner doesn't get to not pay any taxes on the amount of his gross earnings that go to payroll, or the inheritance tax.

On the side of the person who is court ordered to hand over part of his earnings, I can see the complaint that he is not choosing to use that portion of his income, so he never really sees that money.

I do not agree with this idea being part of the bill, but I will save judgement on the bill until we see the actual results overall. I tend to lean more towards a consumption tax myself, rather than an income tax.

barb012
12-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Alimony was created during the era before women started entering the workforce in higher numbers. People paying alimony should fight to have this outdated law eliminated.

countryboy
12-21-2017, 11:23 AM

You make $100,000 and pay alimony of $40,000. Before the tax "cut" you wrote you check and then figured your income at $60,000, your ex figured her income at $40,000 and you both paid your taxes based on that. Yours = $9150 and hers = $4,800. Total taxes paid = $13,950.

Now you pay taxes on all $100,000 and then send out the alimony check. your taxes = $14,350 and hers still = $4,800. Total taxes paid = $19,150. A $5,200 tax increase for you.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/11/the-peculiar-story-of-the-republican-war-on-alimony/

Mother Jones? Riiight.

Kalkin
12-21-2017, 11:27 AM
I and millions of others do.
Don't you support paying higher taxes for roads, police, fire dept, etc? Or just for other people to pay more?

Tahuyaman
12-21-2017, 11:32 AM
I and millions of others do.Then they should have taken the commitment of marriage more seriously.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Don't you support paying higher taxes for roads, police, fire dept, etc? Or just for other people to pay more?

I do. I'm just pointing out that that isn't a tax cut.

Captdon
12-21-2017, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see the one saying that it made it into the final bill. That said, if it did make it in, I could see both sides of the argument.

On the side of the Govt., you pay taxes on your income and if you use part of that income to pay someone else, they then pay taxes on their income. Kind of like how a business owner doesn't get to not pay any taxes on the amount of his gross earnings that go to payroll, or the inheritance tax.

On the side of the person who is court ordered to hand over part of his earnings, I can see the complaint that he is not choosing to use that portion of his income, so he never really sees that money.

I do not agree with this idea being part of the bill, but I will save judgement on the bill until we see the actual results overall. I tend to lean more towards a consumption tax myself, rather than an income tax.

A business pays tax on profit. The owner deducts payroll from the gross. No businees could exist otherwise.

Kalkin
12-21-2017, 04:21 PM
I do. I'm just pointing out that that isn't a tax cut.
The bill is an overall cut for the vast majority of americans. You're just nitpicking because it's a huge political loss for the democrats. Most importantly, the individual mandate is getting repealed.

donttread
12-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Who the hell makes only a hundred grand an pays allimony??

donttread
12-21-2017, 06:54 PM

The "control code" is outdated and more about control than revenue. We need a consumption tax.

resister
12-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Smell the BS too?

Ravens Fan
12-21-2017, 07:37 PM
A business pays tax on profit. The owner deducts payroll from the gross. No businees could exist otherwise.

Good point. Guess that means my example doesn't quite work. The inheritance tax thing does though.

Regardless, I won't judge the entire bill over this. Couples should do pre-nups anyways, that way they decide who gets what, not some judge.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 07:48 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/pf/taxes/alimony-tax-bill/index.html

Sorry that took so long.

resister
12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Alimony needs to be ended, anyways. Do men ever get it?

Ravens Fan
12-21-2017, 07:55 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/15/pf/taxes/alimony-tax-bill/index.html

Sorry that took so long.

No problem, I have been in and out today myself.

I am having a hard time agreeing with this portion of the bill, it almost seems like a way to punish those who get a divorce. But, I still am holding off judgement of the Bill as a whole until I learn more about it.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 08:04 PM
The bill is an overall cut for the vast majority of americans. You're just nitpicking because it's a huge political loss for the democrats. Most importantly, the individual mandate is getting repealed.

It's a thinly disguised corporate giveaway.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 08:08 PM

Anyone who gets divorced.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 08:09 PM
No problem, I have been in and out today myself.

I am having a hard time agreeing with this portion of the bill, it almost seems like a way to punish those who get a divorce. But, I still am holding off judgement of the Bill as a whole until I learn more about it.

Appeasement to evangelicalsee since it makes divorce more difficult?

Kalkin
12-21-2017, 08:58 PM
It's a thinly disguised corporate giveaway.

Like obamacare was for big insurance?

Tahuyaman
12-21-2017, 09:17 PM
I have no sympathy for people who don't take the institution of marriage seriously.

resister
12-21-2017, 09:59 PM
I have no sympathy for people who don't take the institution of marriage seriously.

Evidently, some take it lightly. I am not legally married, but I will do whatever it takes to keep my other half comfortable, at home.

Ravens Fan
12-21-2017, 10:05 PM

I don't either, but this looks like it's just another sin tax, and that should not be the function of any Government, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 10:22 PM
Like obamacare was for big insurance?

You guys didn't want a public option, who else was gonna insure people?

resister
12-21-2017, 10:33 PM
Their self?

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 10:40 PM

That's terribly unfair and is likely to encourage alimony payers to disappear rather than go bankrupt.

resister
12-21-2017, 10:44 PM
That's terribly unfair and is likely to encourage alimony payers to disappear rather than go bankrupt.

No one needs to pay alimony, can you disagree?

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 10:47 PM

So if the one who files for divorce is the one who didn't take the institution of marriage seriously and is also the one demanding alimony, then what?

resister
12-21-2017, 10:49 PM
So if the one who files for divorce is the one who didn't take the institution of marriage seriously and is also the one demanding alimony, then what?
Hand her a Job application? Or a welfare app?

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 10:50 PM
No one needs to pay alimony, can you disagree?
TBH I don't really believe in alimony, except in cases where a woman has been married and a stay at home spouse for so many years that they have no marketable skills. Otherwise, I favor child support or a clean break.

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Hand her a Job application? Or a welfare app?
Perhaps, unless the guy was unfaithful or abusive and they were married for too many years for her to be able to earn a living.

resister
12-21-2017, 10:53 PM
TBH I don't really believe in alimony, except in cases where a woman has been married and a stay at home spouse for so many years that they have no marketable skills. Otherwise, I favor child support or a clean break.
Kinda like saying, the state should pay ex-cons since they have been supported long enough not to support theirself in life? Right?

resister
12-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Perhaps, unless the guy was unfaithful or abusive and they were married for too many years for her to be able to earn a living.
So , that sounds like restitution. Get abused, get a check for life!

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 11:03 PM
Kinda like saying, the state should pay ex-cons since they have been supported long enough not to support theirself in life? Right?

Ex-wives are not comparable to ex-inmates in any way shape or form and it is utterly ridiculous for you to even try.

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 11:09 PM

No. Two very different things. If a woman stayed home to raise children because both made that choice, then she should not be left bereft of income and living on welfare because she has been out of the market so long that she is unmarketable. People who break laws make that choice alone and face the consequences alone.

resister
12-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Ex-wives are not comparable to ex-inmates in any way shape or form and it is utterly ridiculous for you to even try.
Why not? You pay one because you have supported them so long in life, they cant make a living. Tell me the difference, besides ex wives not having a record that handicapps employment.

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 11:11 PM
So , that sounds like restitution. Get abused, get a check for life!

Yes. Resititution is appropriate. It's not appropriate to require women to stay with an abuser in order to survive financially. They did in the past and often ended up dead.

resister
12-21-2017, 11:16 PM
No. Two very different things. If a woman stayed home to raise children because both made that choice, then she should not be left bereft of income and living on welfare because she has been out of the market so long that she is unmarketable. People who break laws make that choice alone and face the consequences alone.
Not if they have kids or were influenced or coerced. You take a wifes or inmates ability to earn a living away, you have still taken a persons ability to earn a living away.

For the record, I think neither one are owed, jack shit except the ability to get a job, like anyone else.

Crepitus
12-21-2017, 11:43 PM
Why not? You pay one because you have supported them so long in life, they cant make a living. Tell me the difference, besides ex wives not having a record that handicapps employment.

Inmates are in that position because they committed a crime bad enough to have their freedom taken away temporarily. The situations are not even remotely similar.

Dr. Who
12-22-2017, 12:12 AM
If the wife was running an active home and taking care of kids that was a full-time job. He didn't have to lift a finger, do any domestic duties like housecleaning, laundry, child-care, cooking or shopping. Her labor had value.

My mother did that and she only sat down to eat meals. Otherwise, she was on her feet the better part of 12 hours a day. She worked much longer hours than my father, as a stay at home Mom. When he retired, she didn't get to retire and they were the same age. After a while, he helped with the dishes and walked the dog.

So please spare me the "he supported her" all those years. If a man had to pay to have someone else do all of those things he probably couldn't afford it unless he were really well off, in which case he could afford alimony even under the current changes.

Kalkin
12-22-2017, 12:32 AM
Themselves. No one else is responsible for their personal healthcare.

resister
12-22-2017, 12:39 AM
If the wife was running an active home and taking care of kids that was a full-time job. He didn't have to lift a finger, do any domestic duties like housecleaning, laundry, child-care, cooking or shopping. Her labor had value.

My mother did that and she only sat down to eat meals. Otherwise, she was on her feet the better part of 12 hours a day. She worked much longer hours than my father, as a stay at home Mom. When he retired, she didn't get to retire and they were the same age. After a while, he helped with the dishes and walked the dog.

So please spare me the "he supported her" all those years. If a man had to pay to have someone else do all of those things he probably couldn't afford it unless he were really well off, in which case he could afford alimony even under the current changes.
GAD ZOOKS your first sentence sounds so misogynistic!:shocked:

I wash dishes and walk the dog. OMG I am an abused male!

resister
12-22-2017, 12:40 AM

You evil con!

resister
12-22-2017, 12:42 AM
Inmates are in that position because they committed a crime bad enough to have their freedom taken away temporarily. The situations are not even remotely similar.

Wash, rinse repeat you did not answer my post.

Crepitus
12-22-2017, 09:49 AM

If you didn't understand the question just say so.

Who besides the insurance companies was going to sell insurance to people?

Tahuyaman
12-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Tough. That's what. I don't care.

Tahuyaman
12-22-2017, 10:16 AM

The word "option" suggests that it is voluntary and not mandatory. You choose to accept that option and you choose to pay for it.

Right now you have the option to opt for the ACA and pay for it yourself.

Kacper
12-22-2017, 11:24 AM

Well at least we know how Donald is hurt under his tax bill now.

Crepitus
12-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Well at least we know how Donald is hurt under his tax bill now.

Further reading shows it isn't retroactive. Only applies to new divorces. Otherwise he never would have let it in.

Also means I don't have to pay extra, but her next victim will.

Kalkin
12-22-2017, 11:35 AM
If you didn't understand the question just say so.
If I didn't understand the question, I would've asked for clarification. As it stands, you seem confused.

Who besides the insurance companies was going to sell insurance to people?
Why are you asking such stupid questions? Run out of intellectual capital again?

The Xl
12-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Any man who, in 2017, gets married with all the information that is out there, all the theft and possibly imprisonment perpetrated by ex wives and the courts, unfair arrangements when it comes to the kids, etc, is sort of retarded.