PDA

View Full Version : Why I registered as an "Independent"

barb012
12-21-2017, 12:03 PM
My decision to register as an independent is because I don't believe in giving my loyalty to either Democrats or Republicans. I decide to choose which candidate will do the most for the citizens in this country. If everyone would register as an "independent" it gives more power to the voters and makes political candidates to work much harder for our votes.

The number of registered voters under "R" or "D" provide each party an advantage on the best methods to secure their voter population and to sway the other side to vote for them. It provides the framework for what is best to use to brainwash those voters based on what those parties stand for in fighting for the changes that their voters believe they have the power to do.

In reality, the division between both parties that refuse to agree on issues that would be beneficial for its citizens has created an environment where party affiliation makes it impossible for the individuals that represent them on either side cannot vote for something that they personally think it would be successful because the other party put it together first.

This environment hurts all of us as nothing gets accomplished with this mentality of loyalty to party affiliation instead of loyalty to the people they govern. People need to decide that their issues is more important then political party association. People can no longer trust the media to provide the facts so that we can come to our own opinion. They have decided to mold our opinion of what they decide to give us news that aligns with their political party.

This is dangerous to democracy in our country. If all media outlets decided that Trump was the worst choice because they refused to mention any of his accomplishments that benefit all of us and continually brainwash the masses with negative information that is not truthful who listen to them would eventually destroy this country.

The public does not want to give one party ultimate control over another over for a long period of time because it creates corruption unchecked. You must remind yourself that the government controls the materials taught in all public education. It allows the educational process to brainwash young minds to lean heavily towards one party in order for that party to build its voter base.

The Democratic mindset has been in power since Bill Clinton was President, Bush was a weak President who didn't think it was important to make sure our educational institutes had a balanced mix of political leaning of teachers who encouraged independent thought instead of herd mentality thinking. This allowed the Democratic mission of recruiting more voters for their base unchecked.

Registering as an "independent" provides the foundation for voters to hold more power and I would think that most people can agree on this.

pjohns
12-21-2017, 12:54 PM
The fundamental problem, I think, is the very existence of The Political Class.

If only we were to limit senators and representatives to two terms (12 and four years, respectively), just as we do the president, we might have more plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. running for (and winning!) political office; and then returning to their regular jobs.

With no incentive, therefore, to pander to the public, we would see much less pandering. (In fact, practically none at all.)

resister
12-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Our state is closed primaries.

texan
12-21-2017, 01:12 PM
The R & D affiliation is definately out of control. I will not proclaim loyalty to either. I am more Libertarian than anything.

I vote mostly on the economy and defense. IMHO the democrats are not good economic stewards. Obama even mentioned we needed to lower the corporate tax rate but knew it would look like he was with the republicans so they did nothing. Thanks!

bajisima
12-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Being an independent can be a great thing, but beware in many states you cant vote in the primaries. Only the strictest of partisans do and then you are left with the potential of two bad choices.

Common
12-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Ive been an independent for a long time

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Being an independent can be a great thing, but beware in many states you cant vote in the primaries. Only the strictest of partisans do and then you are left with the potential of two bad choices.
This is why the election process is so bloated and costly. Just let the party membership, who really want to be members, all trek to some massive venue and cast their ballots without a year and a half of televised and extremely expensive blather and just present the winners to the public, who would not have to then declare an affiliation. That way the public will not be suffering from election fatigue by the time the actual election process rolls around and the press won't be feeding on months of electioneering to select the party winner and in fact influencing the process.

donttread
12-21-2017, 06:41 PM
My decision to register as an independent is because I don't believe in giving my loyalty to either Democrats or Republicans. I decide to choose which candidate will do the most for the citizens in this country. If everyone would register as an "independent" it gives more power to the voters and makes political candidates to work much harder for our votes.

The number of registered voters under "R" or "D" provide each party an advantage on the best methods to secure their voter population and to sway the other side to vote for them. It provides the framework for what is best to use to brainwash those voters based on what those parties stand for in fighting for the changes that their voters believe they have the power to do.

In reality, the division between both parties that refuse to agree on issues that would be beneficial for its citizens has created an environment where party affiliation makes it impossible for the individuals that represent them on either side cannot vote for something that they personally think it would be successful because the other party put it together first.

This environment hurts all of us as nothing gets accomplished with this mentality of loyalty to party affiliation instead of loyalty to the people they govern. People need to decide that their issues is more important then political party association. People can no longer trust the media to provide the facts so that we can come to our own opinion. They have decided to mold our opinion of what they decide to give us news that aligns with their political party.

This is dangerous to democracy in our country. If all media outlets decided that Trump was the worst choice because they refused to mention any of his accomplishments that benefit all of us and continually brainwash the masses with negative information that is not truthful who listen to them would eventually destroy this country.

The public does not want to give one party ultimate control over another over for a long period of time because it creates corruption unchecked. You must remind yourself that the government controls the materials taught in all public education. It allows the educational process to brainwash young minds to lean heavily towards one party in order for that party to build its voter base.

The Democratic mindset has been in power since Bill Clinton was President, Bush was a weak President who didn't think it was important to make sure our educational institutes had a balanced mix of political leaning of teachers who encouraged independent thought instead of herd mentality thinking. This allowed the Democratic mission of recruiting more voters for their base unchecked.

Registering as an "independent" provides the foundation for voters to hold more power and I would think that most people can agree on this.

But will you stop voting for recycled repubs and dems running as independents? That's the important question

resister
12-21-2017, 07:54 PM
This is why the election process is so bloated and costly. Just let the party membership, who really want to be members, all trek to some massive venue and cast their ballots without a year and a half of televised and extremely expensive blather and just present the winners to the public, who would not have to then declare an affiliation. That way the public will not be suffering from election fatigue by the time the actual election process rolls around and the press won't be feeding on months of electioneering to select the party winner and in fact influencing the process.Wait, it was not those evil Russians?

Dr. Who
12-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Wait, it was not those evil Russians?

Can you recall me commenting on Russians, other than to say both the US and Russia do the same thing? The election process fans the fires of partisanship and rigid thinking and it does so purposefully, not to end up with the best possible government, but to divide and conquer. While people are preoccupied hating the other side, both sides are having a great time doing what they have been bribed to do. It's all smoke, mirrors and manipulation that isn't even really concealed. However, they have turned partisanship into a national sport where there are only ever two teams who own the media, so notwithstanding the draconian rules that exist, third parties also have no chance because they are shut out of media coverage.

ripmeister
12-22-2017, 12:15 AM

LOL! Yea, like in 2016.

donttread
12-23-2017, 06:13 AM
The "Independent Party" is neither independent nor a party

Kacper
12-23-2017, 08:45 AM
My state doesn't do party registration. I did not know this and really spent a lot of time in advance thinking which party I would register with for nothing.

Captdon
12-23-2017, 11:35 AM
An independent should have no say about who a party nominates. If you aren't member of the party you have no rights at all.

barb012
12-23-2017, 12:22 PM
But will you stop voting for recycled repubs and dems running as independents? That's the important question

You misunderstand me, I being an "independent" will chose either a Democrat or Republican if I agree with what they campaigning on.

Peter1469
12-23-2017, 12:24 PM
An independent should have no say about who a party nominates. If you aren't member of the party you have no rights at all.

That is a big problem with the two (major) party system.

barb012
12-23-2017, 12:24 PM

Of course, I have rights as I can vote for any candidate of my choice just like anyone else.

Captdon
12-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Of course, I have rights as I can vote for any candidate of my choice just like anyone else.

Not in the party you don't. You want to be independent be so. Stay out of the party where you don't have rights.You have the right to vote for someone running for an office not in a primary.

You want to be independent and vote in a party primary? That's crazy.

Peter1469
12-23-2017, 04:32 PM
Not in the party you don't. You want to be independent be so. Stay out of the party where you don't have rights.You have the right to vote for someone running for an office not in a primary.

You want to be independent and vote in a party primary? That's crazy.
Here in VA you can vote in one primary. So you pick (R) (D) or from one of the (I) if running a primary.

Captdon
12-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Here in VA you can vote in one primary. So you pick (R) (D) or from one of the (I) if running a primary.

You shouldn't be allowed to do that. We allow it here in SC because we don't have party registration. If you can register by party you shouldn't be allowed to vote in a primary of a party you don't support.

Peter1469
12-23-2017, 07:15 PM
You shouldn't be allowed to do that. We allow it here in SC because we don't have party registration. If you can register by party you shouldn't be allowed to vote in a primary of a party you don't support.

I disagree and think the private parties ought no have that much control.

But you can get around it by re-registering prior to the election.

donttread
12-24-2017, 09:23 AM
You misunderstand me, I being an "independent" will chose either a Democrat or Republican if I agree with what they campaigning on.

But never a Green or Libertarian or anyone outside the donkephant? In that case I appauld your step in the right direction , but at this point it is purely symbolic.

barb012
12-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Has anyone ever won an election that was not a Democrat or Republican? I would like to think that both of these parties have to work a little harder to get the Independent voters.

Captdon
12-24-2017, 12:05 PM
I disagree and think the private parties ought no have that much control.

But you can get around it by re-registering prior to the election.

You don't want to be a registered whatever but want to help decide what they do? The parties are not the government.

Tahuyaman
12-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Not party affiliation was requested when I registered to vote in my home state.