PDA

View Full Version : Filibuster Changes Will Take Place In January

Cigar
12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Keeping with his post-election pledge to reform the filibuster, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Tuesday proffered that changes to the rules of the upper chamber will be made, leaving it up to Republicans if they would like to participate.

"There are discussions going on now (over filibuster reform), but I want to tell everybody here. I'm happy I've had a number of Republicans come to me, a few Democrats,” Reid told reporters Tuesday at his weekly press availability. “We're going to change the rules. We cannot continue in this way. I hope we can get something that the Republicans will work with us on.”

“But it won't be a handshake,” he added. “We tried that last time. It didn't work.”

Asked to confirm if his comments meant that the rules would change and Republicans can choose to be a part of that change if they want, the Nevada Democrat responded, “That's right. Yup."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/harry-reid-filibuster-reform_n_2239401.html

Game On ...

Peter1469
12-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Does the change include a provision that says as soon as the GOP gains control of the Senate, if ever, the rules go back to what they are now? :shocked:

Cigar
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Does the change include a provision that says as soon as the GOP gains control of the Senate, if ever, the rules go back to what they are now? :shocked:

With all the New Republican voters ... I don't think we'll need to worry about that. :)

nic34
12-05-2012, 02:29 PM
You mean you don't want the rules to state that "the ones with the majority" lose?

Peter1469
12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes it does sound like the result of 2 wolves and one lamb voting on what is for diner.

Taxcutter
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
If Harry Reid can get rid of the filibuster, he's a better man than Bill Frist.

All it takes is a simple majority vote on the first day of the new Senate session when rules are laid out. Frist had a majority of Republicans in 2005 but he never got them to vote to end the filibuster. Think Reid can do it with a Democrat majority?

A Democrat filibuster in 2005 kept America from ridding itself of the odious New Source Review program.

Bill Frist was the face of GOP gutlessness during the Bush years.

Peter1469
12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
The filibuster is a good concept. Just think of the craziness that will come out of Congress as law without it. We should return the rule to actually make the supporters of the filibuster to maintain the floor of the Senate until victory or defeat (cloture).

Chris
12-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Congress was designed for hard contention not not easy compromise.

hanger4
12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
It's a tad off topic, but I'm all for repealing the 17th amendment also.

Put the Senate back in the hands of the States.

Taxcutter
12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
The filibuster was an antebellum ploy designed to block action against slavery. Later, it was used to block action against Jim Crow. In 2005 it was used to block action against New Source Review.

Given the history of the filibuster, maybe Dirty Harry is right to get rid of it.

Chris
12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
The first know use of the fillibuster was by the Roman Senator Cato the Younger.

See Rome's Last Citizen: The Life and Legacy of Cato, Mortal Enemy of Caesar (http://www.cato.org/event.php?eventid=9203).