PDA

View Full Version : Rich liberals in DC area rush to pay property taxes early

Peter1469
12-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Rich liberals in DC area rush to pay property taxes early (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/tax-bill-spawns-new-holiday-ritual-waiting-in-line-to-pay-taxes/2017/12/27/1e7ea59a-eb12-11e7-b698-91d4e35920a3_story.html?utm_term=.b889bd2435a8)

There is a buzz here in the DC area- the rich liberal enclaves are attempting to pre-pay their property taxes to get better tax write-offs this tax year. This is caused by the tax reform passed by Congress.

Query: These people vote for politicians who raise taxes. Yet they try to avoid taxes. What gives? Why not just vote for people who will lower your taxes?

Anyway, the IRS is dumping on this scheme. I knew that would happen as soon as this news came out.

eople across the United States rushed this week to pay their 2018 property taxes early, hoping to take advantage one last time of a federal deduction that will be scaled back under the tax-code overhaul signed by President Trump.

On Wednesday, however, the *Internal Revenue Service announced that those prepayments could be deducted only in limited circumstances, a decision that appeared to invalidate many taxpayers’ efforts and raised the prospect that local governments could come under pressure to refund millions of dollars.

The announcement stoked confusion surrounding one of the most controversial elements of the tax law — a $10,000 cap on deductions for state and local taxes that will disproportionately affect higher-tax, Democratic-leaning states. It also offered a glimpse of the kind of hiccups that could arise in coming weeks as the IRS releases guidance on other facets of the bill, the largest overhaul of federal tax law in three decades.

Common
12-28-2017, 07:04 AM
People everywhere are rushing to pay their property taxs, middleclass included, my daughters that live in NJ and NY are doing just that after my prodding. I

Peter1469
12-28-2017, 09:59 AM
If they didn't vote against their interests, they would not be in this position.

(Funny to be able to use a liberal line.)

Kacper
12-28-2017, 10:16 AM
It only works for taxes already a lien but not yet due and payable.

Kalkin
12-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Query: These people vote for politicians who raise taxes. Yet they try to avoid taxes. What gives? Why not just vote for people who will lower your taxes?

Because hypocrite liberals are all about taxing other people to fund their agenda.

Peter1469
12-28-2017, 03:00 PM
It only works for taxes already a lien but not yet due and payable.

And local governments here are doing that to "help out."

Kacper
12-28-2017, 06:12 PM
And local governments here are doing that to "help out."

Irobically, some of these people may be prepaying their property taxes and end up not being able to take it this year or the year when it was due because they prepaid in a prior tax year. They very well be screwing themselves.

Peter1469
12-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Irobically, some of these people may be prepaying their property taxes and end up not being able to take it this year or the year when it was due because they prepaid in a prior tax year. They very well be screwing themselves.

Yes, that is what I understand as well.

Perhaps these fools will start voting for people who won't raise taxes.