PDA

View Full Version : Cold snap

donttread
12-29-2017, 02:08 PM
I don't want to say we are having a cold spell, but we haven't seen the north side of zero in 2-3 days and have been treated to -22 at times with a nice "breeze"
I think I just broke a sweat going to the mailbox because it's currenly a balmy -2!

Tahuyaman
12-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Isn't it something how the weather is naturally cyclical and there's nothing we can do about it?

Common
12-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Isn't it something how the weather is naturally cyclical and there's nothing we can do about it?
Stop it you know damn well theres global warming and were all gonna die

Common
12-29-2017, 02:19 PM
I don't want to say we are having a cold spell, but we haven't seen the north side of zero in 2-3 days and have been treated to -22 at times with a nice "breeze"
I think I just broke a sweat going to the mailbox because it's currenly a balmy -2!

Yeah im freezin my ass off here its 64 i got a sweatshirt on

Mister D
12-29-2017, 02:19 PM
This is one of the worst cold snaps I've experience din my adult life.

Kacper
12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Shorts and Tee Short weather ;)

Seriously, when I lived in Pennsylvania and we would have those cold lake-effect spells, it felt like summer when the highs started reaching the upper 40's/50's again. God, I don't miss that. The cold I cold deal with, but that God awful wind was like a perpetual colonoscopy with cold instruments or sumpin'.

Mister D
12-29-2017, 02:24 PM
I never wear gloves in the car but i did this morning. Even in the garage the wheel was ice cold.

Common
12-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Its climate change :)

WHen I lived in jersey I lived on the shore and there were two bridges on and off the island, twice while I lived there I couldnt get off the island which is much better than not being able to get on the island and cant get home.

Mister D
12-29-2017, 02:56 PM
Its climate change :)

WHen I lived in jersey I lived on the shore and there were two bridges on and off the island, twice while I lived there I couldnt get off the island which is much better than not being able to get on the island and cant get home.
Sunday's low will be 7. WTF?

Tahuyaman
12-29-2017, 03:15 PM
The reason I head south in the winter is because it’s predictably cold and wet where I live. The reason I enjoy moving back North in spring is because it always gets uncomfortably hot and humid south of the border. Thats the way it’s always been and there’s nothing anyone can do to change or alter that.

Ravens Fan
12-29-2017, 03:25 PM
I almost had to dive in a pool covered by a sheet of ice today because we thought the main drain may be leaking. Luckily, the machine we use to see if it is actually leaking told me that it was holding at the moment... water is just below the light, so I am hoping it is either there or just in the main drain line where it reaches that level on its way to the pump. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to that kind of dive anytime soon, even with my dry suit and the extra $80/hr I get for diving. I hate the cold.

texan
12-29-2017, 05:07 PM
I can’t wait for Galveston Island to be gone in thirty years. Let’s see now, they told me that in 1973 (same Global Warming morons) that means it’s still here as of 2003. As of 2017 it’s still exactly the same.

Common
12-29-2017, 06:18 PM
My daughter just text me, earlier she texted and said she was taking my grand daughters on a carriage ride in Cape May, she just texted that they cancelled carriage rides 14degrees is too cold for the horses.

donttread
12-29-2017, 06:59 PM

The worst by far that I remember here was the winter of 79 I think it was ,with daily lows at or near -40 for over a week. I spent much of that time underneath my parents laundrymat ( they were on vacation) with a salamander just trying to keep water flowing and save the pipes. It never hit the -50 mark that I've seen twice ( and never want to again) but it -40 every freakin morning. I don't want to exagerate but I'm not certain it ever hit zero over an 8 or 10 day strech.

donttread
12-29-2017, 07:06 PM
I almost had to dive in a pool covered by a sheet of ice today because we thought the main drain may be leaking. Luckily, the machine we use to see if it is actually leaking told me that it was holding at the moment... water is just below the light, so I am hoping it is either there or just in the main drain line where it reaches that level on its way to the pump. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to that kind of dive anytime soon, even with my dry suit and the extra $80/hr I get for diving. I hate the cold.

Yeah that sounds COLD. No way to drain it automatically?

donttread
12-29-2017, 07:08 PM
My daughter just text me, earlier she texted and said she was taking my grand daughters on a carriage ride in Cape May, she just texted that they cancelled carriage rides 14degrees is too cold for the horses.

Wimp ass horses! LOL

donttread
12-29-2017, 07:12 PM
I can’t wait for Galveston Island to be gone in thirty years. Let’s see now, they told me that in 1973 (same Global Warming morons) that means it’s still here as of 2003. As of 2017 it’s still exactly the same.

We had milder and milder winters starting in the 80's through 2000 or a little longer and then they started getting worse again. Still not quite the winters of my youth but getting close. I think the big global warming cover up by both sides is that neither side really knows what the hell is going on
1) Long term weather cycle
2) Man induced climate chage
3) A lot of #1 and a little of #2

Ravens Fan
12-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Yeah that sounds COLD. No way to drain it automatically?

I can't find the leak if it's not leaking. She is actually going to have to fill it up this spring so that I can go back and find the leak. But at least she knows it won't empty out over the winter. Around here, with the water tables, you don't want a completely empty pool for any length of time.

The main drain I referenced is actually not a drain, per se, but just a suction point that takes water from the very bottom of the pool back to the pump/filter.

resister
12-29-2017, 07:42 PM
We are having a cold snap, it will be 50 by morning.

gamewell45
12-29-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm pleased to report that it hit -6 this morning and my engine block heater for my wrangler performed flawlessly; went out, unplugged the heater, got into the jeep, turned on the ignition and it started like like i'd just shut it off seconds ago; had heat by the end of my driveway (it's a long, uphill driveway). Supposed to get down to -12 tonight, so we'll see if my rooster hasn't turned into a frozen statue!

Kacper
12-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Been a little warmer here today than was forecast which allowed me to finally complete my New Year's Resolution with a day and a half to spare--I fixed the wobble on my mailbox after someone (as in my old senile neighbor across and down one) grazed it last December with their trailer being pulled behind their truck (which they are reckless in without the trailer attached, let alone with it attached). Granted all I had to do was take a rod and pound the ground down and add some more dirt, but I never do today what I can put off for a year. Now I have time to come up with a New Year;s resolution for this year that I can put off until December 30, 2018.

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:15 AM

Is your cold snap still on? Ours is . -10 this AM . Only a few hours above zero in days, complete with wind sometimes. The furnace seems to be running fine now, thank goodness

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Been a little warmer here today than was forecast which allowed me to finally complete my New Year's Resolution with a day and a half to spare--I fixed the wobble on my mailbox after someone (as in my old senile neighbor across and down one) grazed it last December with their trailer being pulled behind their truck (which they are reckless in without the trailer attached, let alone with it attached). Granted all I had to do was take a rod and pound the ground down and add some more dirt, but I never do today what I can put off for a year. Now I have time to come up with a New Year;s resolution for this year that I can put off until December 30, 2018.

LOL. Had you addressed it immediately like "those people" that do that you might not have thought through such an efficent solution and wasted time and resources!

Peter1469
12-31-2017, 08:18 AM
16 here.

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:28 AM
I can't find the leak if it's not leaking. She is actually going to have to fill it up this spring so that I can go back and find the leak. But at least she knows it won't empty out over the winter. Around here, with the water tables, you don't want a completely empty pool for any length of time.

The main drain I referenced is actually not a drain, per se, but just a suction point that takes water from the very bottom of the pool back to the pump/filter.
Gotta ya. So the pressure could damage an empty pool . I've heard of a foundation being wrecked in a flood in a similar way. At any rate, stay dry and warm.

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:29 AM
We are having a cold snap, it will be 50 by morning.

You are a nasty fellow sometimes. Although right now I think 50 might over come me with heat stroke!

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:33 AM
I never wear gloves in the car but i did this morning. Even in the garage the wheel was ice cold.

Sometimes the car , if you don't warm it up, seems even colder than outside for some reason. Probably expectation related.

donttread
12-31-2017, 08:35 AM
The reason I head south in the winter is because it’s predictably cold and wet where I live. The reason I enjoy moving back North in spring is because it always gets uncomfortably hot and humid south of the border. Thats the way it’s always been and there’s nothing anyone can do to change or alter that.

Did you migrate like that when you were still working?

Crepitus
12-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Is your cold snap still on? Ours is . -10 this AM . Only a few hours above zero in days, complete with wind sometimes. The furnace seems to be running fine now, thank goodness

-4 here this morning. Supposed to get all the way up into the double digits this afternoon.

Adelaide
12-31-2017, 09:54 AM
Ottawa was the coldest capital city in the world for a day or two this past week - I picked a terrific time to travel to Canada. My city hit the record for a couple days, set in 1917. When I woke up this morning it was -28 C/-18.4 F. The bigger problem is that with the windchill it actually feels like -35 C/-31 F, or more.

I don't really mind it. Think that -28 C/-18.4 F is the high for today. Feels like -30 C, I think, according to my phone.

Tahuyaman
12-31-2017, 10:49 AM
Did you migrate like that when you were still working?

Not like I do now. Then I took all my vacation time in the winter. One time I took a leave of absence for six months, but the department only granted that request once and told me that it would never be authorized again.

pragmatic
12-31-2017, 11:03 AM
https://dsx.weather.com/util/image/map/acttemp_1280x720.jpg?v=ap&w=1280&h=720&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

10AM CST on December 31st.

There are some dangerous temperatures across the nation. If you have to travel, carry a blanket and a phone.

Kacper
12-31-2017, 11:03 AM
LOL. Had you addressed it immediately like "those people" that do that you might not have thought through such an efficent solution and wasted time and resources!
LOL, not quite. I have straightened many a wobbly post so I knew how to do it. I just kept forgetting to do it. I wouldn't have done it yesterday except I was walking along while in the midst of doing something else and saw the steel rod propped up against something and said, "Oh, I better do that mailbox post before I forget again!!!" I am like an ADD cat when it comes to getting things done around the house If I actually finish something from beginning to end without spontaneously working on 5 other things in the process, it is a red letter day. Yesterday it went something like I needed to take scrap bowl out to the compost bin where I decided I needed to turn the compost some so I went to get my shovel. After getting the shovel, I walked past a bucket and it reminded me that I needed to dredge some more dirt out of the storm drain ditch that has shallowed over time which I have been using to backfill over an extension to my gutter drains so I started doing that at which point a limb was annoying me when I walked past it so I had to go get the saw to cut it back which resulted in my doing some pruning in that area and when taking the saw back inside I saw the rod and did the mailbox. I then was walking past my truck and remembered that I needed to clean it out which involved some newspapers that I decided I needed to shred along with other papers in the house to add to the compost pile before I turned it. Long story short, I will be out in subfreezing weather today turning the compost pile that I started to work on yesterday morning.

Kacper
12-31-2017, 11:11 AM
https://dsx.weather.com/util/image/map/acttemp_1280x720.jpg?v=ap&w=1280&h=720&api=7db9fe61-7414-47b5-9871-e17d87b8b6a0

10AM CST on December 31st.

There are some dangerous temperatures across the nation. If you have to travel, carry a blanket and a phone.

Only one place matters:

pragmatic
12-31-2017, 11:20 AM
Only one place matters:

Nobody likes a crybaby.

Man up....!!!!

Kacper
12-31-2017, 11:24 AM
Nobody likes a crybaby.

Man up....!!!!
O *sob* I will use the app on my phone to raise the thermostat because I am too lazy to walk to the other end of the house. I guess I will be okay....in time....with some therapy *sob*

pragmatic
12-31-2017, 12:18 PM
O *sob* I will use the app on my phone to raise the thermostat because I am too lazy to walk to the other end of the house. I guess I will be okay....in time....with some therapy *sob*

Atta boy!!! I knew we could make it through this.

Although to my own confession. The grocery is only about a block away and i am struggling to get the courage to make the trip.

Zero degrees but it is sunny today. And they have a great deli in the back.

Kacper
12-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Atta boy!!! I knew we could make it through this.

Although to my own confession. The grocery is only about a block away and i am struggling to get the courage to make the trip.

Zero degrees but it is sunny today. And they have a great deli in the back.

I am procrastinating in another way. I have decided (as I have been told to do so) to go get birdseed for the outdoor critters. I so am not wanting to venture out but my life may be in jeopardy if I do not. If you hear of a human carcass covered in peanut butter found hanging from a tree, you will know I refused.

pragmatic
12-31-2017, 01:35 PM
I am procrastinating in another way. I have decided (as I have been told to do so) to go get birdseed for the outdoor critters. I so am not wanting to venture out but my life may be in jeopardy if I do not. If you hear of a human carcass covered in peanut butter found hanging from a tree, you will know I refused.

At least the woodpeckers will appreciate it. They love that peanut butter.....!!

Mister D
12-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Yup and it looks like it will be for a week. A predicted low of 2 next Thursday. It blows but I walked 2 miles to and from a bar last night. I had my thermals and my military greatcoat on. I was fine.

Mister D
12-31-2017, 06:38 PM
The worst by far that I remember here was the winter of 79 I think it was ,with daily lows at or near -40 for over a week. I spent much of that time underneath my parents laundrymat ( they were on vacation) with a salamander just trying to keep water flowing and save the pipes. It never hit the -50 mark that I've seen twice ( and never want to again) but it -40 every freakin morning. I don't want to exagerate but I'm not certain it ever hit zero over an 8 or 10 day strech.
I turned 4 that December. :)

Mister D
12-31-2017, 06:40 PM
16 here.
That was the high here today.

Mister D
12-31-2017, 06:42 PM
Sometimes the car , if you don't warm it up, seems even colder than outside for some reason. Probably expectation related.

There must be a 20 degree difference between the garage and the driveway but when it's frigging 7 outside it's pretty cold in the garage. lol

donttread
01-01-2018, 11:11 AM
I turned 4 that December. :)

Well if you had turned four here that year you would of been kept perpetually indoors and bored to tears. Which would freeze to your face if you did go outside.
So what's the coldest you've had in Jersey this year?

donttread
01-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Last five AM's ( -22, -10, -14, -10 and -31) My wife said almost cheerily this morning that it was supposed to "warm up to -7 by noon" . We looked at each other, laughed and started Googling property in Florida!

donttread
01-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Last five AM's ( -22, -10, -14, -10 and -31) My wife said almost cheerily this morning that it was supposed to "warm up to -7 by noon" . We looked at each other, laughed and started Googling property in Florida!

I misspoke day three above was actualy a balmy -6. The -14 must have been last week or maybe the day before the -22

Crepitus
01-01-2018, 11:31 AM
I just looked up the average daily temperature here in Wichita KS for 2017. It was 60°. I thought "not bad". Then I looked at how they arrived at that. We had days as hot as 110° and as cold as -10°.

A 120° swing!

Mister D
01-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Well if you had turned four here that year you would of been kept perpetually indoors and bored to tears. Which would freeze to your face if you did go outside.
So what's the coldest you've had in Jersey this year?
Hasn't hit zero yet. I think this coming Saturday's projected low of 1 will be the worst of it.

donttread
01-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Hasn't hit zero yet. I think this coming Saturday's projected low of 1 will be the worst of it.

Really? I would of thought you might get 5 below or so. -15 here right now , plus a little windy. I can almost watch the fuel oil gage drop.

Adelaide
01-06-2018, 12:22 PM
We've had an "extreme cold weather" emergency warning for like 2 weeks. Today it is pretty decent at -23C/-9F. The problem is really the wind chill, which makes it feel like -34C/-30F.

The cold snap happened the day I flew to Canada. Figures. I bring bad weather wherever I go, hah.

Ravens Fan
01-06-2018, 02:24 PM
We've had an "extreme cold weather" emergency warning for like 2 weeks. Today it is pretty decent at -23C/-9F. The problem is really the wind chill, which makes it feel like -34C/-30F.

The cold snap happened the day I flew to Canada. Figures. I bring bad weather wherever I go, hah.
You left some of the cold behind when you left... wanna come back and take it with you?

Mister D
01-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Really? I would of thought you might get 5 below or so. -15 here right now , plus a little windy. I can almost watch the fuel oil gage drop.

-3 tonight but my days of being awake at 3AM are long over. We got a laugh at happy hour last night. My friend says "it's not going to feel like -3 it will really be -3." lol I simply do not remember it ever being this cold.

Mister D
01-06-2018, 05:23 PM

The wind is horrible. Any exposed flesh takes a beating.

Dr. Who
01-06-2018, 07:32 PM
-3 tonight but my days of being awake at 3AM are long over. We got a laugh at happy hour last night. My friend says "it's not going to feel like -3 it will really be -3." lol I simply do not remember it ever being this cold.

It was -9 when I left for work yesterday morning. It was cold but tolerable until the wind picked up and made it feel like -30. If we're going to have much more of this kind of weather this winter, I need new gloves. The leather ones I was wearing are just bearly an improvement on no gloves at all at sub zero temps. It's just as cold today, but I have no reason to go outside.

Mister D
01-06-2018, 07:37 PM
It was -9 when I left for work yesterday morning. It was cold but tolerable until the wind picked up and made it feel like -30. If we're going to have much more of this kind of weather this winter, I need new gloves. The leather ones I was wearing are just bearly an improvement on no gloves at all at sub zero temps. It's just as cold today, but I have no reason to go outside.

That's the the thing. The wind makes it so much worse. Without the wind I really woudln't care that much. After all, it's January. It gets cold in January. Whatever.

Next week will feel like Spring. Supposed to hit 52 on Friday.

Dr. Who
01-06-2018, 09:06 PM
That's the the thing. The wind makes it so much worse. Without the wind I really woudln't care that much. After all, it's January. It gets cold in January. Whatever.

Next week will feel like Spring. Supposed to hit 52 on Friday.
Here it's supposed to be 45 on Thursday (break out the shorts and T-shirts) then dropping again to normal temps.

Mister D
01-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Here it's supposed to be 45 on Thursday (break out the shorts and T-shirts) then dropping again to normal temps.
Well, it will get rid of a lot of the snow.

Kacper
01-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Got up to 44 today and starting to drizzle so I guess cold snap is over for us for awhile (thank God)

resister
01-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Currently 65 here, man it must be 85 in Anchorage Alaska! :laugh:

Peter1469
01-09-2018, 05:34 PM
It got into the 40s today.

Mister D
01-09-2018, 06:41 PM
It got into the 40s today.
And it feels great.

Peter1469
01-09-2018, 06:46 PM
We should get up into the 60s later in the week.

Mister D
01-09-2018, 06:51 PM
50s here on Friday. It's more than welcome.

donttread
01-09-2018, 07:19 PM

We even warmed up. It's +20 right now well after dark, probably 40 degrees warmer than at this time last week. Of course then there is snow when it gets above zero. Possibly 40's with rain in a couple of days

resister
01-09-2018, 07:21 PM
About 67 here now, Sunday brings another cold front.

Kacper
01-09-2018, 07:21 PM
My neighbor said after this nice toasty week, the cold is coming back next week. I refuse to look at the forecast. I refuse to think about anything other than crawling up on a sunny rock like a fat old turtle and sunning myself while I can