PDA

View Full Version : NFL TV ratings drop almost 10 percent, networks see revenue decline

Grokmaster
01-05-2018, 09:34 PM
I know; it had nothing to do with the anthem protests...right?

Let's see what happens next season, after everyone has finished their books for this year, shall we...?

If I was an NFL owner , I would not be happy with my employees pissing off a significant portion of my customer base, for their own "personal soap boxes", ON GAMEDAY.

NFL TV ratings drop almost 10 percent, networks see revenue decline

NFL ratings dropped almost 10 percent in 2017 from the previous year according to Nielsen data released on Thursday, a further decline in the decreased TV viewership from 2016 that saw an 8 percent drop.

The average number of games watched by viewers throughout the season dropped from 18.8 in 2015 to 16.5 in 2017.
Several factors appear to have influenced the decreased interest from fans in watching games, with an L.A. Times report pointing to evidence (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/RV=1/RE=1516415326/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RB=/RU=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5sYXRpbWVzLmNvbS9idXNpbmVzcy9ob2x seXdvb2QvbGEtZmktY3QtbmZsLXJhdGluZ3MtMjAxODAxMDQtc 3RvcnkuaHRtbAA-/RS=%5EADACU7fOFHxGaFb0peiCAtY.wQowU4-) that suggests controversy over players kneeling for the national anthem played a role early in the season.

The L.A. Times spoke with Fox Sports executive Mike Mulvihill, who shared some numbers from the network. Fox’s Sunday package saw an 8 percent decline in Weeks 2 through 10 when the anthem controversy was at its peak, spurred on by commentary from President Donald Trump.

During Weeks 11 through 17, the drop in viewership shrunk to 2 percent for the network.

Viewers upset with players kneeling and others not satisfied with the NFL’s handling of the Colin Kaepernick situation that saw the quarterback miss the entire season appear to have tuned out.

Despite the declining numbers, NFL viewership is still king on broadcast TV, by a wide margin. AdAge analysis shows that NFL broadcasts accounted for 37 of the 50 most watched broadcasts (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/RV=1/RE=1516415326/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RB=/RU=aHR0cDovL2FkYWdlLmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlL21lZGlhL3JhdGl uZ3Mtc2x1bS8zMTE3NzcvAA--/RS=%5EADAGQfeiMdko85KO8_OP2I9heRQ6p0-) in 2017. NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” remained No. 1 prime-time show on TV.

But that doesn’t mean network heads aren’t concerned. With CBS, Fox, NBC and ESPN each paying at least $1 billion for broadcasts rights, the stakes are high. And, according to an anonymous network executive who spoke with the L.A. Times, each of those networks “made a lot less money than they expected” in 2017.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-tv-ratings-drop-almost-10-percent-networks-see-revenue-decline-230822267.html

More to come, I'm sure.

Common
01-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Its a problem for the owners and TV. I read that bar owners are complaining about lack of football business on monday nights and weekends

Grokmaster
01-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Its a problem for the owners and TV. I read that bar owners are complaining about lack of football business on monday nights and weekends
They should have Jerry Jones run the league; he knows the fan base better than Goodell, clearly.